Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Says My iMac Is Not Connected to The Network, But It Is

mapalm418
Aspirant

Orbi Says My iMac Is Not Connected to The Network, But It Is

I am running a network with RB20 satellite and router.

When I try to log into the Orbi Admin page, I get a web page that says I'm not connected to my Orbi Network, but I obviously am.

My Modem is ATT, everything else works fine.

Is this a Netgear issue?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 47

Accepted Solutions
mapalm418
Aspirant

Another update:

So ATT restored the connection. 

Then, they manually went in on their end and disabled the WiFi radio signals. So now the ATT modem/router is no longer broadcasting a WiFi signal, effectively making it a modem only.

The rep explained that the user tools are much less sophisticated, which is why they were able to do it on their end.

Thanks so much for your help! It got me close, then calling in to ATT helped finish the job.

By the way, now that I no longer have a Double NAT situation, what kind of improvements can I expect to see?

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 47

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have a screen capture of what your seeing. Please use the Choose File button to attach a screen shot of what your seeing. 

What browser are you using? Try a different browser? 

Message 2 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.7.3.22

The ATT modem is Arris BGW210-700

On the Orbi App on my iPhone, I see that my iMac is connected to my network (and I am connected). But when I try to log into the Orbi login page on my iMac's web browser (tried both Safari and Firefox, caches cleared), I get the Orbi landing page that says I'm not connected to the Orbi Network.

Also, my HomePod mini does not show up in the Orbi app but it is obviously connected to WiFi, too.

I also have another issue that I posted about, too:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/New-iPhone-on-Home-Network-Shows-Different-MAC-Address/m-p...

Message 3 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would try option#2 first, if not, #3 lastly. 

Message 4 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Edit: ATT helped me configure the modem using Passthrough, so your Option 2 below.

Thanks. When I first set up ATT internet at home (about 2 months ago), I talked to ATT and I'm pretty sure they walked me through your Option 1 detailed in your post. But maybe not.

I do see the wifi network broadcast by the ATT modem/router, but we ony connect to the Orbi network. We have no devoices connected to the ATT wifi network.

Message 5 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Just a follow-up.

ATT had me configure the Passthrough mode 2 months ago. I just did it again (I kept the notes) and restarted the ATT modem.

However, I still see the WiFi network that is being broadcast by the ATT router. Is that normal?

I also still see the wrong MAC addresses for some of my devices that are connected to my Orbi WiFi network.

Message 6 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

The WiFi radios on the ATT modem need to be fully turned OFF. 

Power OFF the RBR and RBS. Leave the RBS off, turn ON the RBR and check the connected devices list. 

What devices are appearing out of spec? 

Message 7 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Is it safe to just toggle those buttons off on the ATT modem/router admin page? And I assume I'd turn off both 5ghz and 2ghz?

As far as the devices showing the wrong MAC address, someone else in another post mentioned Randomized MAC addresses. I think that's part of the issue.

But that still leaves the bigger issue of my Double NAT.

Message 8 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if you have access to the modems web page and can fully turn OFF the wifi radios, do so. 

If you had the IP pass thru configured for the RBR, then double NAT will not be an issue. 

Message 9 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Yes, I can acess the ATT admin page for the modem/router. And there I do see options to turn off various WiFi (SSID) settings.

And I did indeed (and still do) have the Passthrough settings configured on the ATT modem/router. 

Just to confirm: are you saying I should go ahead and toggle off the ATT WiFi radios, and then that should solve the Double NAT situation?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Just turn OFF the Wifi radios on the modem. IP Pass thru will handle the double NAT issue. 

Message 11 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Well, I was able to turn off the WiFi on the ATT modem.

But 2 minutes later, it bricked everything.

I am on the phone with ATT now getting the Modem re-booted, but it seems that disabling the WiFi radio signals caused the whole thing to crash.

Is it worth it to try Option 2?

Message 12 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Another update:

Then, they manually went in on their end and disabled the WiFi radio signals. So now the ATT modem/router is no longer broadcasting a WiFi signal, effectively making it a modem only.

The rep explained that the user tools are much less sophisticated, which is why they were able to do it on their end.

Thanks so much for your help! It got me close, then calling in to ATT helped finish the job.

By the way, now that I no longer have a Double NAT situation, what kind of improvements can I expect to see?

Message 13 of 47
CrimpOn
Guru

@mapalm418 wrote:

Double NAT interferes with a number potential activities.  Google "Double NAT" or check out this link: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

If you have no desire (or need) to use any of these features, then NAT does not affect you.

Message 14 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@mapalm418 wrote:

Another update:

Message 15 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

Thanks.

Using the link you proivided, when I click on the orbilogin page, I get a message that I am not connected to my Orbi's WiFi Network, which I clearly am. (See attached.)

This happens when I try to log in at orbilogin.com and orbilogin.net.

Is this a Netgear issue?

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 11.33.09 AM.png

Message 16 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1? 

Is this with a wireless or wired connection to the RBR? 

Message 17 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

No. On both Safari and Firefox, I get a "server not responding" message.

The RBR20 is connected by ethernet to the ATT modem, but all devices (including my iMac) are connected via WiFi.

On the Orbi app on my iPhone, I see all devices are connected, and I of course have internet on all of them.

Message 18 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Power off the RBR for 1 minute then back ON. 

Have a wired PC connected to the RBR in back. AFter the RBR is ready, try connecting to 192.168.1.1.

What is the IP address string you see on the Mac networking? Is it a 192.168 or could it be a 10.something address? 

Message 19 of 47
CrimpOn
Guru

@mapalm418 wrote:

No. On both Safari and Firefox, I get a "server not responding" message.

This a typical response when the web address is not correct.

Can you go into the Network settings on your device and discover the

IP address

Subnet Mask (which should be 255.255.255.0

Gateway

DNS Server

The Orbi router should be the gateway, and the IP address of the web interface.

Message 20 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

On my iMac, under Network Settings, TCP/IP, I see a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

The MAC address of my iMac is 38:f9:d3:b7:3a:19

Router IPv6 is fe80::7ad2:94ff:fea4:2a8a

IPv4 is 10.0.0.7

Or are you asking something else?

Message 21 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

I do see Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Not sure where to find what else you;re looking for.

Message 22 of 47
mapalm418
Aspirant

I have 4 DNS servers.

2606.4700:4700:::1111

2606.4700:4700:::1001

Can't find Gateway.

Message 23 of 47
CrimpOn
Guru

@mapalm418 wrote:

IPv4 is 10.0.0.7

Thanks. with your IP being 10.0.0.7, then the Orbi web interface will be found at http://10.0.0.1

(Just as an 'aside', the Orbi creating a LAN subnet of 10.0.0.x leads me to believe that your AT&T router is NOT in "passthrough" or "bridge" mode.)

Message 24 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

There we go, wrong address. 10. should work to conenct to it's web page.

@mapalm418 wrote:

IPv4 is 10.0.0.7

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7