Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Separate SSIDs for WiFi Bands

michaelsalk
Aspirant

Orbi Separate SSIDs for WiFi Bands

I believe this has been answered a long time ago, but wanted to check on the current status. I am troubleshooting Yamaha MusicCast Wireless Surround speakers. I find that sometimes, one of these will connect to the 2.4ghz band. Since the main router, AV receiver and wireless speakers are all within 15 feet of each other, I would think they would all connect to 5ghz.

Can I create a separate SSID for 2.4Ghz, and for 5Ghz? I saw in an old post that you need to Telnet in and do some config. I would rather not do that. Does anoyone have any advice?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Separate SSIDs for WiFi Bands

Try turning down the power out put on the 2.4Ghz radio? From 100% to say 50%? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Thought not officially supported, some have used the telnet configurations to get the SSID to separate. Mixed success. 

@michaelsalk wrote:

I believe this has been answered a long time ago, but wanted to check on the current status. I am troubleshooting Yamaha MusicCast Wireless Surround speakers. I find that sometimes, one of these will connect to the 2.4ghz band. Since the main router, AV receiver and wireless speakers are all within 15 feet of each other, I would think they would all connect to 5ghz.

Can I create a separate SSID for 2.4Ghz, and for 5Ghz? I saw in an old post that you need to Telnet in and do some config. I would rather not do that. Does anoyone have any advice?

Thanks

Message 2 of 4
michaelsalk
Aspirant

Interesting.. I will give it a try

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know it it goes...

Message 4 of 4