Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Setup Question - No Internet Connection With Comcast/Xfinity

LostWIFI
Follower

Orbi Setup Question - No Internet Connection With Comcast/Xfinity

I'm running into a problem setting up my new Orbi router. I'm upgrading my old Apple Airport wifi router with a new Orbi AC2200. For some reason the Orbi is just not seeing an internet connection during setup.

I have followed all the tips/tricks as suggested by the Orbi app on the phone. This includes rebooting the cable modem and Orbi (multiple times) and restarting the setup procedure over and over again. 

If I reconnect my old wifi router to the cable modem, the internet works just fine. So I know I have service. So what I don't know is whether it's a problem with my new Orbi router, my cable modem or Comcast. 

Interesting fact: If I leave my old router connected and then I connect the Orbi directly into it and not to the cable modem, then it works fine, and it does see an internet connection. But if I connect the Orbi directly into the cable modem, then no internet.

Could this be a MAC address problem? I'm not all that knowledgeable with networking, but it seems like either Comcast is locking connection to one device or possibly the cable modem is.

Additional facts:

• My internet provider is Comcast. 
  • The cable modem is a Netgear CM600

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Setup Question - No Internet Connection With Comcast/Xfinity

Hi @LostWIFI

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please access router settings page, go to Internet Setup > Router MAC address> select "Use This MAC Address" > enter the old router MAC address. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Setup Question - No Internet Connection With Comcast/Xfinity

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@LostWIFI wrote:

I'm running into a problem setting up my new Orbi router. I'm upgrading my old Apple Airport wifi router with a new Orbi AC2200. For some reason the Orbi is just not seeing an internet connection during setup.

I have followed all the tips/tricks as suggested by the Orbi app on the phone. This includes rebooting the cable modem and Orbi (multiple times) and restarting the setup procedure over and over again. 

If I reconnect my old wifi router to the cable modem, the internet works just fine. So I know I have service. So what I don't know is whether it's a problem with my new Orbi router, my cable modem or Comcast. 

Interesting fact: If I leave my old router connected and then I connect the Orbi directly into it and not to the cable modem, then it works fine, and it does see an internet connection. But if I connect the Orbi directly into the cable modem, then no internet.

Could this be a MAC address problem? I'm not all that knowledgeable with networking, but it seems like either Comcast is locking connection to one device or possibly the cable modem is.

Additional facts:

• My internet provider is Comcast. 
  • The cable modem is a Netgear CM600

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7