Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Setup

JABuntyn
Guide

Orbi Setup

How do you set the date and time on the Orbi WiFi Router?  Seems that there should be a setting to get the date and time from the internet.  I've seen the time zone setting on the 'Schedule' tab. 

Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi Setup

Review the Orbi logs.  If NTP is wokring you should see something like:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, August 24, 2017 16:25:40

Make sure the Orbi device has valid settings for the gateway and domain name servers.

If you are behind the FIOS router you should run Orbi in AP mode, or bridge the FIOS router. This shouldn't affect NTP though, unless Orbi's network settings are misconfigured.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

The time is set automatically, once per day, using Network Time Protocol (NTP). So, you do not need to do anything to have Orbi set its clock from the Internet. 

Message 2 of 10
JABuntyn
Guide

Thanks so much, however the date and time on my router are wrong. So I figured the NTP wasn't set correctly. Just can't find it.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 10
st_shaw
Master

If you view the Orbi log file, you should see log entries when the time is set via NTP. Unless you are somehow blocking ports, DNS, or Internet access it should update once per day.

If the minutes are right, but the hours are off, then NTP is working, but it might just be that the time displayed is based on UTC (a reference time zone.)

Message 4 of 10
JABuntyn
Guide

Thanks I will review the logs. Date is wrong also, so I assumed that it was not getting any updates and had started with some artificial date/time

I will have to look at the fios router too to see if it is blocking NTP.

Message 5 of 10
sooby77
Initiate

Never mind. Read the issue incorrectly. Sorry.
Message 6 of 10
JABuntyn
Guide

At 9:55 PM on Aug 24, 2017, the date and time displayed on the 'Schedule' tab is:

Current Time: Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 12:47:21

So, it is not just a time zone error.  I have updated the firmware on both the router and the satellite.  I still need to check the Fios router to see if NTP is being blocked.

Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

Review the Orbi logs.  If NTP is wokring you should see something like:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, August 24, 2017 16:25:40

Make sure the Orbi device has valid settings for the gateway and domain name servers.

If you are behind the FIOS router you should run Orbi in AP mode, or bridge the FIOS router. This shouldn't affect NTP though, unless Orbi's network settings are misconfigured.

Message 8 of 10
JABuntyn
Guide

Thanks, I have not tried AP mode.  Will give it a try.  I also put a rule on my Fios router to accept UDP port 123 from my Orbi.  Will see if that works.

Message 9 of 10
JABuntyn
Guide

Success!  I changed to Access Point, but also added an access rule on the Fios router to allow UDP port 123 from my Orbi.  So, not sure which is the actual solution, let's just say both.  Also added "pool.ntp.org" on my fios router as one of the ntp servers, behind "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org" and "1.north-america.pool.ntp.org".

Now showing correct time:

Current Time: Thursday, Aug 24, 2017 22:38:46

Thanks all!  I appreciate the help!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7