Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Solutuion for fairly large home.

Jhernan17
Aspirant

Orbi Solutuion for fairly large home.

Hello all,

So i am finally making the jump to Orbi after trying a few other mesh networks and single router solutions. and I'm trying to get Orbi for my whole house. Which is fairly unique...

Downstairs i have about 5800 sqft, about 98 feet long by 100 feet wide.

and

Upstairs i have about 4800 sqft, about 60 feet long by 83 feet wide.

The way i have designed the house is the Second floor uses all the same space as the downstairs with the exception of the garage as there is nothing above the garage. Wolf Den Bare 2 img.PNGWolf Den Bare img.PNG

i know I'm going to get the AC3000 series Orbi. but my question is how many satellites will i need to have "whole home wifi".

Any insight would be great folks.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Solutuion for fairly large home.

Im currently using a AC2200 Orbi with one Satellite in my 5000sq ft home. I presume you may need two Satellites. Depending on placement of main router, will kind of depend where you end up putting the satellite(s). In my house, the base router is up stairs at one end of the house and the Satellite is at the opposite end of the house downstairs. Signal is great and range and performance is stellar and working fine for me.

I would start with one Satellite and get it configured and set up. Run some wireless tests and see what signals your seeing in remote areas. Depending on what you find, will let you know if you need a 2nd Satellite.

What is the Mfr and model# if your ISP modem. Stand alone modem or built in router by chance?

What are you using currently for a wifi router?

@Jhernan17wrote:

Hello all,

So i am finally making the jump to Orbi after trying a few other mesh networks and single router solutions. and I'm trying to get Orbi for my whole house. Which is fairly unique...

Downstairs i have about 5800 sqft, about 98 feet long by 100 feet wide.

and

Upstairs i have about 4800 sqft, about 60 feet long by 83 feet wide.

The way i have designed the house is the Second floor uses all the same space as the downstairs with the exception of the garage as there is nothing above the garage. Wolf Den Bare 2 img.PNGWolf Den Bare img.PNG

i know I'm going to get the AC3000 series Orbi. but my question is how many satellites will i need to have "whole home wifi".

Any insight would be great folks.

Thanks

Message 2 of 6
Jhernan17
Aspirant

I'm using Frontier for ISP. The modem is mounted to wall and not exposed for model unfortunately, it's a b**** to get down. My main concern is if the routers are downstairs will they reach upstairs.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well my main base is upstairs on the far side of the house and the Satellite is down stairs on the opposite side. 

I presume signal will be ok. Can you place either the router upstairs and a Satellite down stairs? Might have to play with placement to see what works best for you...

Message 4 of 6
Jhernan17
Aspirant

yea i can. i made sure when building i had ethernet ports where i may potentially need them around the house. thanks

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Same here. I put in LAN ports and CAT6A in the walls. Flexability. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. Start with one Satellie and go from there. 

@Jhernan17wrote:

yea i can. i made sure when building i had ethernet ports where i may potentially need them around the house. thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7