Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Speed Test Not Working

Mikalsan
Aspirant

Orbi Speed Test Not Working

I have seen multiple posts on Orbi Speed Test Not working.  I wanted to reply to them, but dont seem to have the permissions, so I am creating a new post, becuase I found the issue on mine.  Not sure how to fix.  I happen to have a Palo Alto Networks firewall in front of my Orbi (between ISP and Orbi).  Speed test was working fine before I switched to AP mode.  ( i wanted to see host IPs on firewall, not just orbi IP).  On the PANW firewall, when I start speed test on Orbi, I see that the orbi is using default 192.168.1.1 ip for speed test, even though it's IP address from the PANW DHCP pool is is in the 172.20.x.x range.  This is either a bug, or I need to figure out how to tell the Orbi to use the 172.20.x.x IP.  I statically reserved the ORBI IP on the PANW firewall, and statically assinged it on the Orbi, so I always know what IP the ORBI is.  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Speed Test Not Working

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 

If you have a router or firewall in front of the Orbi in router mode then the speed test app on the RBR may not work right. 

Either use the DMZ on the upstream router or configure AP mode on the RBR. 

@Mikalsan wrote:

I have seen multiple posts on Orbi Speed Test Not working.  I wanted to reply to them, but dont seem to have the permissions, so I am creating a new post, becuase I found the issue on mine.  Not sure how to fix.  I happen to have a Palo Alto Networks firewall in front of my Orbi (between ISP and Orbi).  Speed test was working fine before I switched to AP mode.  ( i wanted to see host IPs on firewall, not just orbi IP).  On the PANW firewall, when I start speed test on Orbi, I see that the orbi is using default 192.168.1.1 ip for speed test, even though it's IP address from the PANW DHCP pool is is in the 172.20.x.x range.  This is either a bug, or I need to figure out how to tell the Orbi to use the 172.20.x.x IP.  I statically reserved the ORBI IP on the PANW firewall, and statically assinged it on the Orbi, so I always know what IP the ORBI is.  

Message 2 of 4
Mikalsan
Aspirant

AP Mode.  Firewall in front of Orbi.  Firewall reporting orbi is using default 192.168.1.1 address for speedtest, rather than the 172.20.x.x address is gets from DHCP.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You may need to configure the firewall to allow traffic from the RBR to pass thru the firewall. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7