Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Speed Test

VerneArase
Apprentice

Orbi Speed Test

Greetings,

The speed test function (in the Advanced tab), Setup -> Speed Test is not working ... or at least is underreporting internet speed.

I was recently upgraded by Xfinity from 250 to 300 mbps, and most recently when I did a speed test it indicated 123 mbps down.

I rebooted my cable modem, and got 130 mpbs down, so I rebooted the Orbi routers. Currently speed test is showing 82.5 mbps down, 24 mbps up.

Smelling a rat, I launched speedtest.app on my Mac and selected the Chicago comcast server (I live in a Chicago suburb), and lo and behold, got 358 mpbs down and 23.9 up.

So ... does anyone know if that built-in speed test page is used somehow to tweek QoS settings? If it's just a brain-dead informative status display I'm not going to worry about it, but if it's somehow functionally tied to traffic throttling to allow ACK/NAK headroom, I need to report that this thing is broken.

Environment: Xfinity CGM4140COM connected to RBR50, iMac 5K connected via ethernet to RBS50, firmware V2.3.5.30.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Speed Test

There have been posts about the Orbi internal SpeedTest before. (Search box at the top of the page)

Since "what matters" is the speed to devices attached to the Orbi, it sounds like you are "getting what you pay for" and these days that's a good thing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7