Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Speeds Slow After Initial Install

sonnylax
Guide

Orbi Speeds Slow After Initial Install

Just got my Orbi (Router & Satellite) WiFi system up and running in AP mode behind my AT&T Uverse/GigaPower Gateway.  I'm paying for a 1 Gigabit connection, but I believe AT&T only guarantees 800 Mbps.

When I'm hardwired to my AT&T Gateway via Ethernet Cable (Cat 5e), I see speeds between 400 - 650 Mbps via Speedtest app.

When I"m connected to the new Orbi WiFi, I'm only getting speeds of around 40 - 50 Mbps when I'm literally 6 feet away from the Orbi Router.

I've updated the Firmware on the Router to the latest version (V 1.4.0.18).  The Satellite firmware is V 1.2.0.6 and gets hung up when you try to update through the OrbiLogin.com.

The 2.4GHz channel is "AUTO" and the 5Ghz channel is "48."  Security options is WPA2-PSK (AES).

Any other ideas?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 32
Mikey94025
Hero

Do you only see slow speeds over wireless or do you also see slow speeds when hardwired to the Orbi base?  This will help narrow down the possibilities.  Your wireless speed will also be less using 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz.  Are you using Apple devices?  Some have reported slowed speed with Apple devices.

What settings have you changed from the defaults?  Port forwarding and modifying QoS can affect speeds (i.e., be sure to keep WMM enabled).  This thread discusses similar speed issues: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Wired-Speeds-Unacceptably-Slow-Wifi-Not-Impacted-QoS-Issu....  Doing a factory reset and testing the speeds again before changing any options may also help diagnose what's causing the slowness.

Message 2 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

Not using any Apple devices... Haven't tried hardwiring into the Orbi (Just the adjacent AT&T Gateway)

Other thing I've noticed is that many of the OrbiLogin.com options are "greyed out" now that I've selected AP mode.  (Can't select QOS, as an example.)

Message 3 of 32
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Can you disable Wi-Fi on your AT&T Uverse/GigaPower Gateway and make it work just as a modem, then use your Orbi as your router instead? this will not solve your problem but it might be a work around.

Message 4 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

thanks... already disabled the WiFi functionalty on the AT&T Gateway....

Message 5 of 32
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Do you still have the Orbi running as an AP though? have you tried it as your main router and if so is the speed still bad?

Message 6 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

Thanks for the tips.... Keep em coming.  I was able to manually update the Firmware on the Orbi Satellite.  I've also got the Gateway configured as DMZ+ (PassThrough). 

When I'm hardwired into the Orbi Router, I'm seeing good speeds (541 Mbps down) which makes me think I've got something configured wrong on the Orbi.

Message 7 of 32
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

I wonder if it has something to do with QoS, I have seen people saying if it is disabled or not properly set it can cause speed issues via Wi-Fi, perhaps you should try doing a factory reset and starting fresh? it could be a pain if you already have made a lot of changes, but otherwise might be worth a shot.

Message 8 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

IPv6 should be enabled  - right???

RIght now, its DISABLED.

Here are my choices:

Auto Detect
Auto Config

6to4 Tunnel

6rd

Pass Through

Fixed

DHCP
PPPoE

Message 9 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

does anyone know what I should use for Router MAC Address (under Internet Setup) when I'm connecting the Orbi Router to the Gateway Device (in PassThrough/DMZ+ mode)?

3 options are:
Use Default Address

Use Computer MAC Address

Use this MAC Address (user input)

Should I use the MAC address that is on the pre-printed label on the side of my Gateway? 

Message 10 of 32
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

I would use the "Use Default Address" option, I wouldn't use the one on your Gateway.

Message 11 of 32
sonnylax
Guide

also noticed under Advanced Setup --> Wireless Settings there are two boxes unchecked:

1. Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices  
2. Enable MU-MIMO

?????

Message 12 of 32
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Those are enabled for me.

Message 13 of 32
sdunlap01
Guide

I believe this to be a firmware issue specific to the Orbi since I too am experiencing connectivity/slow response issues.  I'm using a TWC/Spectrum Ubee cable modem which I have configured in bridge mode as I want to be able to manage my network with my Netgear device.  My previous Netgear device was a R7000 router which I had no connectivity issues/drops with prior to replacing with the Orbi.
I am now testing with the QOS/WMM features disabled to see if I can narrow to these features causing my issues so I'll update again after I've had some time to test but this is disappointing since I've used the Netgear products for many years and like the interface and ease of management which is why I've defaulted my cable modem to bridge mode.

I hope the issue can be determined and resolved with firmware otherwise I may have to resort back to a different Netgear router model.

Message 14 of 32
sdunlap01
Guide

So these issues (at least for me) do indeed relate to the QOS/WMM settings.
I found a WMM setting in my laptop wireless adapter configuration, enabled it and saw some improvement after reenabling the QOS/WMM settings in the Orbi.  Just the fact that I saw differences confirms my connectivity issues are revolved around these features.
Another beef I have is my 5Ghz capable devices are no longer connecting at 5Ghz but I see that is also a separate issue/forum.

Netgear, I've been a long time customer, please resolve these issues so we can remain so.  I need my connectivity between my ISP connection and my devices to remain constant and I need my 5Ghz capable devices to be able to connect at 5Ghz (none of them have since switching from my Netgear R7000 to the Orbi).

Message 15 of 32
sdunlap01
Guide

Enabling the following two features has had a negative impact on my uptime.

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
I disabled them again and will now monitor once more but I can tell how well my connectivity (both wired and wireless) is performing based on my security camera outages/disconnects.

Enabling the above 2 features caused more disconnects than I've seen to date.
So i'll be disabling them again to retest and will post results at later date

Message 16 of 32
sdunlap01
Guide

Wow, that didn't take long.  As soon as I disabled those two settings (see below) under the Advanced Wireless menu, my Orbi wall plug satellite immediately began communicating again and now shows devices connected where I struggled to get the wall plug satellite to even sync with those 2 settings enabled much less communicate with my devices.

Performance/uptime is still yet to be determined but I can 100% definitively tell the following settings caused my network degradation :

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Message 17 of 32
62cwil
Aspirant

How do you disable the wi fi functionality on the AT&T Router.  The tech told me the program did it but since I only getting speed around 22 something not right.

Message 18 of 32
gaurm
Aspirant

Go to your router's ip address on your browser (mine is 192.168.1.254), go to home network/wifi and disable both the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi bands

Message 19 of 32
62cwil
Aspirant

I only see the 2.4 ghz bank which I did disable. Don't see a 5ghz one.  After disabling the 2.4 one I still only get around 30 mbps speed which is same.  Any other suggestions as I understood I would get much faster speeds.

Message 20 of 32
st_shaw
Master

@62cwil wrote:

I only see the 2.4 ghz bank which I did disable. Don't see a 5ghz one.  After disabling the 2.4 one I still only get around 30 mbps speed which is same.  Any other suggestions as I understood I would get much faster speeds.

@62cwil You stated in another thread that your Internet plan is only 24 Mbps.  Do you expect Orbi to somehow incease the speed of your Internet plan?  That's not possible--of course.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 32
gaurm
Aspirant

Try changing the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels under routerlogin.net-->wireless settings

Message 22 of 32
talbert99
Aspirant

Just hooked up RBR50 with three RBS50 as I have ethernet connected devices.   The throughput is horrible - general WiFi access through my home is the worst i've ever seen.  Is there a problem hooking up mulitple satellites?   How do you test ORBI to Device speed - and where is the QoS option in latest firmware?  (currently on 2.0.0.74).   I have IPTV devices connected to the satellites and have to reset my system to get any kind of throughput.   Looking for an idea?

Message 23 of 32
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@talbert99 wrote:

Just hooked up RBR50 with three RBS50 as I have ethernet connected devices.   The throughput is horrible - general WiFi access through my home is the worst i've ever seen.  Is there a problem hooking up mulitple satellites?   How do you test ORBI to Device speed - and where is the QoS option in latest firmware?  (currently on 2.0.0.74).   I have IPTV devices connected to the satellites and have to reset my system to get any kind of throughput.   Looking for an idea?

What kind of internet connection do you have?

What kind of speed do you measure using speedtest.net when wired to the router?

What kind of speed do you measure using speedtest.net when on Wifi to the Router? When connected through a satellite? 

How many and what kind of devices do you have on your wireless? Are they 5Ghz? Are any of them 11b?

Are you running the Orbi as the Router? And is your ISP modem bridged? Or are you NATing through it?

If you are seeing full speed after reseting the Orbi, then chances are that one of your devices on the network is what is causing the problem - you are seeing full speed until the devices reconnects or starts to act up again. 

I'm only running two satellites, but have not seen the issues you mention. I have quite a few camera's and streamig devices. 

Message 24 of 32
rgadue
Aspirant

I too have issues with constant reliable speeds. I have Orbi router w 2 satellites. Orbi router installed downstairs in family room, 1 satellite upstairs in loft, 2nd satellite, in garage. Xfinity 1g service. Arris surfboard 3.1 sb8200.
Devices connected, multiple iPhones and Macs, Android phones and PC laptops. Smart devices, nest, ring, hue, Rachio, etc. Amazon fire TV's, game players.
Not sure what top speed I should see but highest has been mid 300mpbs upon first install. Now I'm lucky to see 40mbps. I haven't changed any default settings. Xfinity has walked me thru multiple resets on my modem and I've powered cycled Orbi a few times. Sometimes I see increased speeds but shortly drops back down.
Typically have 32-35 devices connected, 7 hardwired, 4 on router, three on upstairs satellite.
Sometimes wifi is so bad steaming stops and kids go nuts. Literally woke up by one rug rat at 11pm to tell me Wi-Fi stopped working.
Xfinity has been zero help and they want me to use their equipment. They are coming out tomorrow too test lines.
Saw previous past about beam forming and other mu-mimo settings. Both are off for me. Checked firmware and I'm on latest 2.0.0.74.
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7