Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Speeds Slow After Initial Install

DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to enable beamforming and mumimo that was a issue with really old firmware and was fixed and some people have had better performance with it on.

DarrenM

Message 26 of 32
rgadue
Aspirant

I tried that with tech support and speeds went down. However, I had Comcast come out this weekend and they found a bad connection and repaired.  Speeds are much more consistent now.  I'm doing about 300 mbps over wifi and curious how to get the 866 for my newer devices on the 5ghz. Wired I'm getting over 900mbps.  I have the gig service w/ comcast.  I have tried enabling those settings since the repair.  Any other settings I may want to check?

@DarrenM wrote:

You may want to enable beamforming and mumimo that was a issue with really old firmware and was fixed and some people have had better performance with it on.

DarrenM

Message 27 of 32
st_shaw
Master

You are not going to get 866 Mbps on any WiFi device.  The most throughput you can expect on WiFi is 50% to 60% of the stated data rate (866) due to the normal overhead of wireless communications.  So, 300 is very good and pretty close to the maximum.  On my iPhone 7+ i can get 385 to 520 Mbps, with an average of 470, when about 5-10 feet from the router, in an environment with no other nearby WiFi APs.

Message 28 of 32
rgadue
Aspirant

Enabling beamforming and mumimo has improved speeds over mulitple wifi devices; thank you for the Tip.

What about fast roaming?  Do you recommend turning that on?

On other settings I should look at?  Be nice for a tipsheet on optimal settings.

I also realized IPv6 is not turned on and my ISP says they support it.  What is recommendation to use or not to use.

Message 29 of 32
rgadue
Aspirant

Enabling beamforming and mumimo has improved speeds over mulitple wifi devices; thank you for the Tip.

What about fast roaming?  Do you recommend turning that on?

On other settings I should look at?  Be nice for a tipsheet on optimal settings.

I also realized IPv6 is not turned on and my ISP says they support it.  What is recommendation to use or not to use.

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

Message 30 of 32
kkralickus
Initiate

I enabled enable beamforming and mumimo with firmware v2.0.0.74 and it seems to have solved the problems I was having (same as others).

Message 31 of 32
rgadue
Aspirant

How about far roaming?

Things were great all day yesterday until late evening. Then suddenly crazy low speeds again. Again this morning speeds are really low. 30-50mbps. Whereas I was getting 400-504mbps.
I just rebooted through the app and it's a bit better.
Inconsistent performance is driving me nuts. Mainly cause the kids act like it's the end of the world without WiFi.
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7