Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - Stopped Working and No Ring Lights!

bigitybadb
Aspirant

Orbi - Stopped Working and No Ring Lights!

Hi all,

I have the Orbi Router RBR50 with a single satellite that's connected to the router via a CAT6 cable. The product worked great for 12.5 months, then the satellite stopped working. The green LED on the back of the satellite is still glowing green to show it is receiving power, but no internet. Some of the things I've tried:

- Doing a power down (unplug plus power switch off) of the satellite alone, the router alone, and then both the satellite and the router at the same time. This didn't help.

- Checked the Orbi app I used to set up the device. The router is showing that it's working great, but I can't do anything in the app for the satellite as the satellite is showing offline.

- A reset of the satellite by pressing the reset button on the back (you know, the one you need a paper clip to press). I held it for 5 seconds and nothing happened. I then tried a handful of different times holding the reset button down (10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 2 minutes). I believe the power light it's supposed to change from green to orange (or flash green?). Nothing happened with the light and still no internet.

- I called the Netgear tech helpline. I got an operator who sounded like she didn't know anything about the device (she didn't seem to know what the ring light at the top of the orbi was...), and then she said that she had to charge me $229 for tech support to help troubleshoot (uh... a new satellite is $150...). Hard pass.

Thanks for any help everyone!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - Stopped Working and No Ring Lights!

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS by pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Can you get to the RBS web page at all? If not, the RBS maybe faulty.

Try swapping the power supply of the other RBS to this RBS and see if the RBS responds. 

Message 2 of 5
bigitybadb
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback! I tried to plug the satellite directly into a computer, then pressed reset for 15 seconds, then waited 5 minutes, then tried the below IP address. I couldn’t hit the IP address. I did the same process with the power supply of the router, and it still didn’t work. Any other ideas? Thanks again!
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, seems like the RBS is just bad now. Needs replaced. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 5
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

Do you have any top led lights at all?  If so, I have had pretty good luck de-bricking these. DM me and we can talk about it. 

Scott

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7