Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Sucks

RockSolid
Star

Orbi Sucks

Anyone know if there’s any recourse in a refund for such a crappy device if your out of your 30 day return window at Best Buy? Best Buy obviously won’t do anything if you don’t buy the extended protection plan as they refer to Netgear’s 1 year warranty.
I hope Netgear reps read this forum because this product sucks!!!!
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 18
RockSolid
Star

Does he get this automatically or do I contact him?
Message 3 of 18
bryanyu81
Aspirant

@RockSolid wrote:

Anyone know if there’s any recourse in a refund for such a crappy device if your out of your 30 day return window at Best Buy? Best Buy obviously won’t do anything if you don’t buy the extended protection plan as they refer to Netgear’s 1 year warranty.
I hope Netgear reps read this forum because this product sucks!!!!

I think there's something either wrong with the Orbi device you have or there's something wrong with your ISP. There is no way an Orbi sucks. I have the Orbi and I bought it from Best Buy, the one with the big ass router as the main router and then the plug in satellite. I pay for the 100/100mbps up and down and I get well over that advertise speeds using the Orbi and those are wifi speeds and not ethernet speeds. I think there's something wrong with perhaps your router, your ISP, the way you set it up or maybe it's you bc there's no way an Orbi sucks! The Orbi outperforms any other mesh router out there and that's a fact, for me at least. I use Verizon FIOS and I got rid of the FIOS router bc it was giving me speeds like 30/40 up and down and I just wasn't going to have that. I did my research and was hesitant at first but after I set it up it has been nothing less than great overall coverage. If you were too cheap and had buyer's remorse and couldn't fork out the money then that's another story but don't tell people that the Orbi sucks without any proof except that you weren't able to return it at Best Buy! Why are you returning a device that works? That's the real questions!

Message 4 of 18
RockSolid
Star

It doesn’t work! And I’m not the only one that thinks orbi sucks!! It drops connectivity all the time....an issue I never had until I got it....so I’d say that qualifies it to receive the label that it sucks!!!

Message 5 of 18
JeremyWxB
Guide

I think you should be able to get a refund if you are not happy with the product. But I am more than happy with it. Its has been great - for me.

Jeremy

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 18
RockSolid
Star

The previous responder made jackass assumptions and insinuations.
ironically I type this from a fast internet mesh router connection that is NOT a Netgear Orbi...so I’m quite certain it’s not user error.
Message 7 of 18
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

No every one is have bad luck with there orbi. The ones that seem to have problems have been working with others here in the forums to get theres working better and well. Which points to there are user configuration problems and environment issues. Which seems to point to you having same misconfigurations or do not know how to work with your Orbi. You won’t find any help or information regarding a refund here in the forums. You need to contact Support directly and talk to someone there to help you. Ask for an rma. If not, then seems like ur SOL and should probably sell your system to someone who can work with it and get it working like it should. Lets move along now.
Message 8 of 18
RockSolid
Star

LOL
It so great that you assume that I have no idea how to work the orbi. Get off your high horse.
Message 9 of 18
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Your post history is telling.
Anyways, connect with support. Hopefully they can help you.
Message 10 of 18
Brain29
Apprentice

It sucks to have a 300+ purchase be so unstable - I understand why your frustrated too I have had 6+ months of consistantly random drops/router freezes that require reboots (support sent me a new unit same issues a beta firmware seemed to help but it too had issues after a while). Past 2 months I have been very happy with another company with no issues 

good luck  

Message 11 of 18
RockSolid
Star

Me as well Brian. I’ve been posting from a smoking fast mesh router system that’s not Netgear....but it must be our fault...we must not know how to work em. LMAO
Message 12 of 18
RockSolid
Star

Sure...all the advice I received here worked so well...geez.
Message 13 of 18
HG5150
Initiate

Well after multiple issues beginning 11/10 and multiple calls to orbi and netgear, its time to find another wifi company.  As i have read in the forums---configsync issies, blocked devices that were never blocked, etc. etc.  hard reset, disconnect, reinstall current firmware, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etce. modem good, comcast good...12+ hours later and **bleep**.    i will box the entire system 600.00 dollars worth and ship to netgear.  in my 30+ years in tech and using recent wifi technology, this is such an awesome unit with potential, but a shiitty product and **bleep**ty support.  they can now keep the crap that I bought.  better bussines Better Business Bureau here i come. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 14 of 18
Chi7
Star

You’re right. It does. It’s the fastest mesh router out there....WHEN it works. And honestly, it’s insulting to the rest of us when people make the claim it must be you or user error. Please. It’s a **bleep**ing router that sets up like any other router and the instructions are foolproof.

The orbi however, is not. It disconnects all the time. And people do this and that to get it to work. Why? Why do you have to jump through hoops for an over hundred dollar device? Then there’s the bull**bleep** copy and paste advice from some user(s).

Do yourself a favor like others did. Get a new router. Some including myself have the alllifi and have zero stability problems. Good luck getting your money back. Hopefully they can work something out with you.
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 15 of 18
HG5150
Initiate

I bought this June 2017 and as of today and is cutting in and out, the satellite show either yellow or magenta in the app. This morning, the app says the router is not supported LOL. What a messed up system. I plan to file complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I’m gonna fight them to take this piece of crap back. And for everybody out there having issues with this system, once you file with the Better Business Bureau they must respond. So sometimes that’s the ultimate path to get a resolution. If anybody out there has a better solution or experienced with a different brand please share! And I agree with your post it’s not always the user error. Anytime I have Dish Network or Comcast technicians arrive I’m always telling them what they need to do to fix any hard issues. And of course being very experienced this it is most annoying that I can’t figure what’s going on. But again there’s buggy firmware, and there seems to be the web portal issues in addition the hardware issues. I spent two hours on the phone with a technician in another country only to do the same steps I’ve done multiple times and that we’ve all done. With zero results. The technician hung up on me because I think she was frustrated. She did indicate that they are working on a fix for the bug in the current firmware. But again at 700 bucks for what I have but it’s ridiculous for any customer to ever have to go through this. Again if anybody out there has experience with a better system please share thanks!
Message 16 of 18
Chi7
Star

Damn typos. Not the Allifi. Some of us got the AMPLIFI HD.
Message 17 of 18
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Mesh routers have unique problems to overcome in enviroment and device connectivity, and the explosion of connected home devices and device compatibility. People with problems migrate to product community forums. This is their purpose, for owners to help each other. One only needs to go to the Velop or other mesh router forums to see a remarkable similarity in the tone and in the general issues. The overwhelming majority of the installed base of these products are not having continuous problems (but on occasion share some global issues induced by firware glitches after firmware changes). When one goes to "All The Best Mesh Routers of 2018" reviews out there by the tech sites, you get different rankings but inevitably, one or more of the Orbi products is at least in the top three, if not the top. Yes, Netgear support is not the top. We all would like to pick up the phone and talk to a Level 2 or above Tech first try. But in the main, taking a personal disappointment issue to the BBB or social media (again, where everyone goes to complain much more than praise) is someone's personal perogative but needs to be put in perspective of the installed base where the product is working as adverstised. The Orbi is not perfect. I have had a few glitches which I was able to come out of. But in the main, no, the Orbi is not some pandemic disaster. It just does not work properly for some in their physical and technical environment, and yes sometimes firmware updates have unexpected consequences in certain situations. Certainly there are many here who will chastise me for a bit of defense for a product that has worked very well for me and given me excellent converage for my many connected devices, but I am just trying to introduce some perspective here.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 46 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7