Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi System RBR50 - Bandwidth Connection Issue with Amazon Echo

Doug-48051
Luminary

Orbi System RBR50 - Bandwidth Connection Issue with Amazon Echo

Hello All

I have been using the AC3000 Orbi System with the Amazon echo devices for over 15 months. I am using tp-link HS100 plugs switches to control my house lamps.

Today the Amazon echo doesn't see the plugs on my network. All tp-link plugs operate on a 2.4G wireless network and the Echo is operating on the 5G wireless network. Amazon support is stating that the devices DO NOT see each other because they are on different wireless networks. Amazon is recommending to assign the Echo on the 2.4G network. The Orbi System uses the same SSID for both networks and does not allow for bandwidth steering.

If both devices need to be on the same frequency how do I workaround this?

If this is truly the cause how do explain 15 months of connectivity with no issues?

Please advise, Thank you

Doug G

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to do a FW update on your system. Your system is on fairly old FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

You will need to first update the RBR and RBS to v2.0.0.74 first to get it to v212, then apply v32. Update the satellites first, then the RBR.

@Doug-48051 wrote:

Hello All

I have been using the AC3000 Orbi System with the Amazon echo devices for over 15 months. I am using tp-link HS100 plugs switches to control my house lamps.

Today the Amazon echo doesn't see the plugs on my network. All tp-link plugs operate on a 2.4G wireless network and the Echo is operating on the 5G wireless network. Amazon support is stating that the devices DO NOT see each other because they are on different wireless networks. Amazon is recommending to assign the Echo on the 2.4G network. The Orbi System uses the same SSID for both networks and does not allow for bandwidth steering.

If both devices need to be on the same frequency how do I workaround this?

If this is truly the cause how do explain 15 months of connectivity with no issues?

Please advise, Thank you

Doug G

Message 2 of 11
Doug-48051
Luminary

My FW is up to date. 2.21.210 - I have been looking for the function to change my signature block.  

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh ok. You can change your signature data in your user profile under My Settings/Personal Information. 

You can try the more resent FW update as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@Doug-48051 wrote:

.......... Amazon is recommending to assign the Echo on the 2.4G network. The Orbi System uses the same SSID for both networks and does not allow for bandwidth steering.

Amazon Echo does not communicate with the TP-Link plugs through wifi as far as I know (I use Google Home which I believe uses the same integration concept as Echo). The communication happens through a cloud interface.

1. Do you see both the Echo and TP-Link devices on the Orbi Attached Devices?
  2. If the answer to the above question is yes, then it must be just a "hiccup" in the cloud interface. Have you tried to remove one of the TP-Link devices from Echo and add it again and see if that will help?
Message 5 of 11
Doug-48051
Luminary

I see both devices in the Orbi Device list. I agree the logical answer is a hiccup. I updated my FW to the latest 2.1.2.232 version. I removed the Tp-link from the Amazon device list, but it will not add back in because it doesn't see them.

I am going to rest one the plugs and start from scratch. Wish me luck will keep all posted.

Now, where do I update my message board signature? LOL

Message 6 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@Doug-48051 wrote:

I am going to rest one the plugs and start from scratch. Wish me luck will keep all posted.

Very good. Good luck.

Here is how you can change your signature:

(1)

Namnlöst.png

(2)

Namnlöst1.png

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset will be good then setup from scratch. 

Besure to save off a new config to file under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Back up. 

I think you got your signature changed. LOL Smiley Wink

@Doug-48051 wrote:

I see both devices in the Orbi Device list. I agree the logical answer is a hiccup. I updated my FW to the latest 2.1.2.232 version. I removed the Tp-link from the Amazon device list, but it will not add back in because it doesn't see them.

Message 8 of 11
Doug-48051
Luminary

Thanks for the reminder, it has been a few months.  Your tag says you are using AC3000 with a wired backhaul? 

How did you hard wire the RBR50 to the RBS50 ?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

Message 10 of 11
Doug-48051
Luminary

UPDATE:

Amazon calls and stated they would do a 3-way call with Netgear Support to split the SSIDs.

During the call with the 2 vendors, Netgear created an issue ticket and promised to call back in 30 mins. (NetGear NEVER called back???)

Amazon still states the devices must be on the same network.

While waiting I started doing additional research.

The user credentials for the TP-Link Skill inside the Alexa app was missing. Once the Tp-Link credentials were updated I re-enabled the skill and had the Alexa device re-discover the devices.  All the devices were re-populated in the Alexa app, even those on different networks.

This would seem to indicate a few things:

1. A possible update eraser the credentials (Only guessing here)

2. Amazon does not seem to understand how a MESH network works.

3. NetGear did not seem to care enough to call back.

Not to be too personal here but... I am disabled in a chair and I use this network and these products to live and function. I understand that troubleshooting takes effort and not everyone knows everything, but at least both companies could have stuck it out instead of passing the buck and leaving the customer with no options. 😞

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7