Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Throttling Wired Ethernet connection

Bielski
Tutor

Orbi Throttling Wired Ethernet connection

I noticed this morning that our RBR40 seems to be throttling our 200 Mbps Interenet speeds down to about 90 Mbps on the wired connections around my home.  Wifi is at 200Mbps+. I did separate multiple speed tests on my iMac and also on my Apple TVs that that have wired connections.  I've rebooted the Orbi, my Spectrum cable mode, and my iMac and nothing has solved the throttling.  Does anyone have anything I can try before doing a factory reset?  It really is crazy that Netgear offers absolutely ZERO free support for their products.  Thanks!!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
Bielski
Tutor

@ekhalil @FURRYe38 , After borrowing a thunderbolt to giagbit adapter, a usb-c to gigabit adapter and a very long cat 6 cable, I think I was able to determine that there may be a problem with the CAT 6 cable running from the RBR40 to the jack in my office.  I connected the long CAT6 directly from my RBR40 to my Imac and got full speeds and 1000baset hardware.  I connected my Macbook to the RBR40 and got full speed.  I then connected my Macbook to the jack in my office and got 90mbps and 100baset hardware.  I'm going to change the connector on the old CAT 6 and see if that restores full speeds.  In the mean time wi-fi gives me full speed.

View solution in original post

Message 39 of 41

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

I noticed this morning that our RBR40 seems to be throttling our 200 Mbps Interenet speeds down to about 90 Mbps on the wired connections around my home.  Wifi is at 200Mbps+. I did separate multiple speed tests on my iMac and also on my Apple TVs that that have wired connections.  I've rebooted the Orbi, my Spectrum cable mode, and my iMac and nothing has solved the throttling.  Does anyone have anything I can try before doing a factory reset?  It really is crazy that Netgear offers absolutely ZERO free support for their products.  Thanks!!

1) Do the wired device get IP addresses from Orbi or from the Spectrum modem/router? Please check the IP addresses of those wired devices and compare them with what you see on the wireless devices. If they are in different ranges then this can be an issue caused by the Spectrum modem is not just a modem but also a router.

2) What other wired devices do you have in the network? Do you have any wired speakers (e.g. Sonos) connected to Orbi?

Message 2 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

Thanks for the reply - 

1) Do the wired device get IP addresses from Orbi or from the Spectrum modem/router? Please check the IP addresses of those wired devices and compare them with what you see on the wireless devices. If they are in different ranges then this can be an issue caused by the Spectrum modem is not just a modem but also a router. - The IP addresses all seem to be coming from the same place (Orbi.)  They are all in the 192.168.1.1-255 range.  Our modem is just a modem only.  We previously had a separate router that was connected to it that the Orbi replaced to boost our Wi-Fi.

2) What other wired devices do you have in the network? Do you have any wired speakers (e.g. Sonos) connected to Orbi? I also tested my hardwired Apple TV and they are also exhibiting the same throttling on Ethernet, but full speeds on Wi-Fi.

Message 3 of 41
ekhalil
Master

- Do you see the same throttling issue if the wired devices is connected to the Router the same way that when it's connected to the Satellites?

- The issue can be caused by one wired device. Please try to disconnect all wired devices and connect them one by one and see if you can identify a "bad" device. 

Message 4 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

Thanks ekhalil for the help.

- Do you see the same throttling issue if the wired devices is connected to the Router the same way that when it's connected to the Satellites?

My devices were always connected to the router via CAT 6  wired jacks in my home.  I only have (1)RBR40 Router and (2)RBW30 Plug In Satellites.  Everything connected via WI-Fi to Satellites gets 200Mbps.  The wired devices bewteen 90-95Mbps.

- The issue can be caused by one wired device. Please try to disconnect all wired devices and connect them one by one and see if you can identify a "bad" device. 

I disconnected everything but the cable going directly into my iMac and there was no speed change.

Am I heading down the road towards a factory reset??

Message 5 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

Thanks ekhalil for the help.

My devices were always connected to the router via CAT 6  wired jacks in my home.  I only have (1)RBR40 Router and (2)RBW30 Plug In Satellites.  Everything connected via WI-Fi to Satellites gets 200Mbps.  The wired devices bewteen 90-95Mbps.

I disconnected everything but the cable going directly into my iMac and there was no speed change.

Am I heading down the road towards a factory reset??

Can this be a limitation in your iMac network card (limited to 100Mpbs)? What iMac and Apple TV versions have you tested with?

Message 6 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

I don't think it's a limitation with my iMac running a slow network card.  It's a late 2015 iMac.  It had been working at full speed since I installed the system in June 2018.  The Apple TV is a Gen 4.

Message 7 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

I don't think it's a limitation with my iMac running a slow network card.  It's a late 2015 iMac.  It had been working at full speed since I installed the system in June 2018.  The Apple TV is a Gen 4.

1) Apple TV Gen 4 (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP724?locale=en_US) has 100BASE-T interface so it supports maximum of 100Mbps so you are currently getting good speed from Apple TV:

Namnlöst.png

2) iMac (21.5 inch, late 2015): has a 1000BASE‑T Gigabit Ethernet:

Namnlöst.png

So unless you're connecting the iMAC to the RBR40 via a switch with100BASE‑T limitation you should get better speeds. Please confirm that the iMAC is directly connected to the router and not via other network elements.

Message 8 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

The iMac is my primary computer so it has always been directly connected to the RBR40. I have second CAT 6 that goes to my Satellite box and a third that connects to a gigabit switch which had 2 other CAT 6 lines going to jacks in my home.

Per the earlier posts, the steps I have taken so far:

1- Restarted my RBR40 - no improvement

2- Restarted my iMac - no improvement 

3- Restarted my Cable Modem

3. Disconnected EVERYTHING BUT the iMac from RBR40 - no improvement

Should a factory reset be the next (unfortunate) step?

@ekhalil wrote:

@Bielski wrote:

1) Apple TV Gen 4 (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP724?locale=en_US) has 100BASE-T interface so it supports maximum of 100Mbps so you are currently getting good speed from Apple TV:

Namnlöst.png

2) iMac (21.5 inch, late 2015): has a 1000BASE‑T Gigabit Ethernet:

Namnlöst.png

So unless you're connecting the iMAC to the RBR40 via a switch with100BASE‑T limitation you should get better speeds. Please confirm that the iMAC is directly connected to the router and not via other network elements.

Message 9 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

The iMac is my primary computer so it has always been directly connected to the RBR40. I have second CAT 6 that goes to my Satellite box and a third that connects to a gigabit switch which had 2 other CAT 6 lines going to jacks in my home.

Per the earlier posts, the steps I have taken so far:

1- Restarted my RBR40 - no improvement

2- Restarted my iMac - no improvement 

3- Restarted my Cable Modem

3. Disconnected EVERYTHING BUT the iMac from RBR40 - no improvement

Should a factory reset be the next (unfortunate) step?

What speed do you get if you connect the iMAC to the modem directly?

Message 10 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

@Bielski wrote:

Message 11 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Technicolor MTA DPC3216 Telephony 

I've had the system since June 2018.  Speeds have been running above my 200Mbps (closer to 235) until I noticed this a few days ago.  Since y last post I tried swapping etehrnet cables to the jack on the wall and did a factory reset.  Still no change.  Wireless gets 235 on iMac and Wired gets no more than 95Mbps.

Message 12 of 41
ekhalil
Master

What speed do you get if you connect the iMAC to the Ethernet port of the cable modem directly?

Message 13 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

I took the Orbi RBR40 out of the chain and connected the iMac directly into the cable modem and got 234 Mbps.

Message 14 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

I took the Orbi RBR40 out of the chain and connected the iMac directly into the cable modem and got 234 Mbps.

I then think that this is one of the issues introduced in 2.2.1.210. This software contains fixes for Ethernet Backhaul and I think it introduced a number of issues for wired devices. I believe this is one of them. I suggest to report this issue to NG Support. Hopefully this can be fixed in the coming SW releases.

@Blanca_O

Message 15 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

How do you report something to Netgear support?  I am out of my 90 day support window and do not have an overpriced support contract.  When I've tried to phone Netgear, I've always had to give up after being on terminal hold.  

@Blanca_O

Message 16 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

lets try this, download the v210 FW file for the RBR unit. Re-load the firmware file and after the router processes it, do a full factory reset on the rbr and walk thru the setup wizard. As the router is doing the reset, power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON. After waling thru the setu wizard with your wire connected PC, run a speedtest.net test from Safari or from there app that you can get from the apple store. 

Ensure IPv6 is not enabled on the RBR router. 

FW isn't the problem rather could be a HW issue. Others including my self are not seeing issues in v210.

@Bielski wrote:

Message 17 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

I'll give this a shot @FURRYe38.  Just to confirm, you are suggesting to download the latest firmware version from Netgear v2.2.1.210 and follow the steps you outlined?  

Message 18 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Message 19 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

@FURRYe38, I gave it a shot this afternoon.  Assuming that I followed your instruction correctly, there was no change.  Wired Internet Speeds still at 90-95Mbps and WiFi at 235Mbps.  At this point, I've swapped out everything but the RBR4o.  If it is hardware related, as I'm starting to suspect, how does one get in touch with Netgear Support without having their overpriced service contract??

Message 20 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Send @Blanca_O a PM. 

After turning off satllites and everything else besides the base router, wired speeds at the router are still slow? Do you have a different wired PC that you can test with by chance just to see if the problem appears with a 2nd wired PC? 

Message 21 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

......  At this point, I've swapped out everything but the RBR4o.  If it is hardware related, as I'm starting to suspect, how does one get in touch with Netgear Support without having their overpriced service contract??

The fact that you'r getting speeds on the limit of the 100BASE-T speed makes me think that this can be a wrong setting in the iMAC, Please check iMAC settings under >> System Preferences >> Network >> Ethernet >> Advanced >> Hardware >> then check what you have there. You shouldn't have 100baseT. Try also to set it to Manually and 1000BaseT and see if this changes anything, as you can see below:

Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 03.04.16.png

Message 22 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

@FURRYe38, I don't have another wired computer, but:

1. I plugged my computer directly into my cable modem and got top speed

2. I do have an Apple TV Gen 4 with SpeedTest App and that exhibits the exact same speeds when connected directly into the RBR40

Like I've told @ekhalil, I've swapped cables, unplugged everything but individual devices, taken switches out of the equation, done 2 factory resets at this point, and I've tried rolling back firmware as well.  Anything else I've missed in troubleshooting?  The only thing I can't swap out is the RBR40.

@Blanca_O

Message 23 of 41
ekhalil
Master

@Bielski wrote:

2. I do have an Apple TV Gen 4 with SpeedTest App and that exhibits the exact same speeds when connected directly into the RBR40

The Apple TV Gen 4 supports only upto 100 Mbps according to it's specs, nothing wrong with that!

Please check the iMAC settings as in my previous post 🙂

Message 24 of 41
Bielski
Tutor

Valid point.  I researched that as well and you're right.  It's strange that you can get a fgaster speed on wifi than hard wired.  I have 2 of them and the Wifi one gets 235Mbps which explains my confusion.  Thanks!

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7