Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Throttling Wired Ethernet connections?

Ulairi
Luminary

Orbi Throttling Wired Ethernet connections?

Has anyone experienced the Orbi system apparently throttling otherwise good connections?

I have a plan with 200 Mbps down and 20Mbps up.  My connection speeds were consistent on this plan until I got a RBK50 Orbi, about one month ago. Despite the Orbi's own speed test reporting 200 Mbps connection (on the QoS page) I am not gettting that for dowload on devices that are connected to the Orbi connected by Ethernet. 

I did some testing with a couple of alternate routers and I think I have proven that it's the Orbi system that is doing the throttling.  The alternate routers were a Linksys EA8500 (that the Orbi has replaced to provide better coverage over the house) and a Huawei HG659 (supplied by my ISP).  I used Speedtest.net.  All tests were with the same Cat 6 cable from modem to router and the same Cat 5E cable from router to PC. Unless noted below, I had all other Ethernet wired devices disconnected.  I also used the same local  server for my ISP, apart from the one time, noted below, where I used the an alternate local server. Here's the test sequence:

Linksys EA8500.

No other devices connected. Media Prioritization (QoS) 'off'.  Got 200 Mbps.  Turned Media Prioritization 'on'  and got 175 Mbps, then 200 Mbps.

Summary: Minimum speed = 175 Mbps. Maximum speed = 200Mbps.

Orbi System (Satellite turned off).

Orbi satellite unit turned 'off' and no other Ethernet devices plugged in. Got 100 Mbps, then 75 Mbps.  Connected the test computer by wifi (but left Ethernet connected) and got 37 Mbps, then 72 Mbps.  Turned WiFi connection on test computer off again and got 102 Mbps. Did the speed test to the alternate  Server and got 77 Mbps, then 105 Mbps.  Reconnected to the ISP server for the remainder of the testing and got 39 Mbps, then 107 Mbps then 100 Mbps. Plugged the other Ethernet devices in my network into the router and got 77 Mbps, then 107 Mbps.  Tested again 10 minutes later, 75 Mbps, 38 and 74.    

Summary: Minimum speed = 37 Mbps. Maximum speed = 107 Mbps.

Huawei HG659.  

No other Ethernet devices plugged in.  200 Mbps and 200 Mbps.  Plugged the other Ethernet devices in and still got 200 Mbps.

Summary: rock solid on 200 Mbps. 

Linksys EA8500.

No other devices connected.  202 Mbps.  connected the other Ethernet devices and got 201 Mbps. 

Summary: Minimum speed = 201 Mbps. Maximum speed = 202 Mbps.

Orbi System (Satellite turned off)

Orbi satellite unit turned 'off' and no other Ethernet devices plugged in.  Got 78 Mbps, then 76 Mbps. Changed the Ethernet port on the ISP provided Technicolor Modem from #2 to #1.  Got 39 Mbps, 95 Mbps, 76 Mbps, then 75 Mbps.  Reverted the Ethernet port on the ISP Technicolor Modem from #1 back to #2 per all other testing. Got 73 Mbps, then 74 Mbps.  

Summary: Minimum speed = 39 Mbps. Maximum speed = 95 Mbps

I'm using wifi backhaul. The Orbi was tested with  2.1.2.18 firmware.  After a few disconnects on the satellitte in the last couple of weeks I have reverted to 2.0.1.4.  This subsequent firmware change hasn't improved anything (including that I'm still getting occassional disconnects - but that's a different topic....).  I'm still getting between 40 and 100 Mbps from the Orbi over Ethernet. 

This all seems to conclusively prove that the Orbi system is doing the throttling.  Irrespective of which server I connect to, whether there are other Ethernet devices connected, whether a Wifi connection is present or not, and which port on the ISP's modem I use, I consistently got much slower speeds from the Orbi versus the other two routers.   The Orbi's own built in speed test function reports a 200 Mbps connection into the Orbi router.

I also don't get terribly fast speeds over WiFi (typically 40 Mbps even right next to the router), but I could live with that.  Its the loss of wired connection speed that concerns me most. 

Any ideas?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Glad it's working well now. This is what I have been saying all along. Glad someone believes now.

Thanks for your advice and help.

The advice for performing a full factory reset has only, to my knowledge, been previously discussed on this forum in the context of stability, dropped connections and upgrading firmware.  I hadn't seen any discussion about doing a factory restet in the context of the speed throttling issue.

There are a small number of threads on the forum where speed throttling is reported and queried.  It seems to be an uncommon fault. Most advice focuses on the test environment (test PC, cables and whether in AP or router mode).  I don't recall anyone suggesting a 'factory reset' for this internal bottleneck.  Indeed - up until now - no one appeared to acknowledge that the Orbi could have an internal software bottleneck.

I think that my experience clearly shows that an internal bottleneck has occured in the software within the Orbi router. Back-to-back testing against two other routers - keeping the test environment the same - clearly showed that the Orbi was the culprit. This was supported by the Ookla results on the Orbi's QoS page showing that the Orbi was, indeed, getting the full speed in to it (before Ookla took this feature down on the Orbi last week). The problem persisteted, despite re-flashing the router with three different firmware loads.  Once I did the factory reset, I immediately got the full download speed from my ISP.

Also, since the reset, I've also noted that I'm now getting very good speeds over WiFi connections as well.  The Orbi was throttling all connections - not just Ethernet.

If anyone has speed bottlenecks then a 'factory reset' is the way to go.    I think that this is new information - because previous advice focused on cables, the test PC and the mode of the router.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 22

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Ethernet speed capped at 100 Mbps is usually caused by a bad cable or by failure of your PC's NIC to autonegotiate 1000 Mbps. Try a different cable between your PC and Orbi. Check your link speed on your PC to make sure it's negotiating 1000 Mbps.

Message 2 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi -  Thanks for responding.  

I forgot to mention, I certainly previously tried a different cable and a different PC (a laptop) and it made no impact on the results.

It can't be the cable or the PC, because the testing that I did with the other two routers per my original post, used the exact same test setup.  Alternate routers = 200 Mbps.  A few minutes later with only the router changing, Orbi = between 37 Mbps to 107 Mbps. 

There seems to be no ryhme or reason to the orbi's speed results.  It's not pegging at an exact number. Last week I got 140 Mbps out of the Orbi on the first test. A few seconds later, 103, then 88 Mbps on the third test.  It does seem that the first test usually returns higher speeds and its almost like it settles down to the throttled levels.  Usually to around 70-75 Mbps , but sometimes as low as 37-39 Mbps. 

Having eliminated all other variables, with the Orbi reporting that it is getting 200 Mbps (I think that this is significant)  and with the results per my original post - all evidence points to the Orbi ....

Message 3 of 22
st_shaw
Master

If your speed was pegged at ~95 Mbps, then I'd say it's definitely the cable, but you also have variability, so that's not exactly your case.  However, different hardware devices have different tolerances for marginal cables, so it could still be a cable or port issue.

You described a lot of hardware, including two different modems The Huawei looks to be a router as well.

If the ISP modem you are using is also a router, then you should set your Orbi into Access Point mode. That could explain why the Orbi is reporting 200 Mbps and your devices connected to it are not.

I suggest you re-run the throughput test with Orbi in access point mode.

Message 4 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

I've been experiencing a speed bottleneck issue for a while ever since I got the Orbi a couple of months ago.  It initially set up with with firmware V2.1.1.18 and I reverted to   V2.0.0.34 and V2.0.1.2.  Updating firmware to V2.1.3.4. today, similarly, made no improvement. 

However, I'm pleased to report that a subsequent  factory reset (as painful as it was to re-establish everything) got my full download speeds back.   200Mbps every time (previously averaging 75 Mbps and as low as 30 and as high as 110 Mbps)

For anyone struggling with the Orbi performance, don't hesitate - bite the bullet and try a 'factory reset' . 

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well now. This is what I have been saying all along. Glad someone believes now.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ulairi wrote:

I've been experiencing a speed bottleneck issue for a while ever since I got the Orbi a couple of months ago.  It initially set up with with firmware V2.1.1.18 and I reverted to   V2.0.0.34 and V2.0.1.2.  Updating firmware to V2.1.3.4. today, similarly, made no improvement. 

However, I'm pleased to report that a subsequent  factory reset (as painful as it was to re-establish everything) got my full download speeds back.   200Mbps every time (previously averaging 75 Mbps and as low as 30 and as high as 110 Mbps)

For anyone struggling with the Orbi performance, don't hesitate - bite the bullet and try a 'factory reset' . 

Message 6 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The advice for performing a full factory reset has only, to my knowledge, been previously discussed on this forum in the context of stability, dropped connections and upgrading firmware.  I hadn't seen any discussion about doing a factory restet in the context of the speed throttling issue.

There are a small number of threads on the forum where speed throttling is reported and queried.  It seems to be an uncommon fault. Most advice focuses on the test environment (test PC, cables and whether in AP or router mode).  I don't recall anyone suggesting a 'factory reset' for this internal bottleneck.  Indeed - up until now - no one appeared to acknowledge that the Orbi could have an internal software bottleneck.

I think that my experience clearly shows that an internal bottleneck has occured in the software within the Orbi router. Back-to-back testing against two other routers - keeping the test environment the same - clearly showed that the Orbi was the culprit. This was supported by the Ookla results on the Orbi's QoS page showing that the Orbi was, indeed, getting the full speed in to it (before Ookla took this feature down on the Orbi last week). The problem persisteted, despite re-flashing the router with three different firmware loads.  Once I did the factory reset, I immediately got the full download speed from my ISP.

Also, since the reset, I've also noted that I'm now getting very good speeds over WiFi connections as well.  The Orbi was throttling all connections - not just Ethernet.

If anyone has speed bottlenecks then a 'factory reset' is the way to go.    I think that this is new information - because previous advice focused on cables, the test PC and the mode of the router.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe that there is NAT accelleration or NAT Cut-Through that maybe employed on these routers. This is needed for high speed ISP support, 900Mb+-. I believe that some of the features like QoS, Access Control and Traffic Meter may disable this NAT accelleration feature from what others have said and posted about. So doing a factory reset and having users not enable or touch upon these features has reported higher speed tests for those having 1Gb ISP services. So be aware of this issue with a few of these router features and NAT accelleration on high speed ISP services. Other factors are wireless which some if not most current wireless clients are limited in higher speeds and will usually max out at around 400mb to maybe 600Mb on the high end. Users need to check with there client hw mfrs to see what thruput speeds are supported on there devices. 

Lan cable speed testing is always preferred. 

@Ulairi wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 8 of 22
TreborNewob5
Guide

Hi, I had almost the same. 

Virgin Media 200 meg on Lan network and about 70 to 80 meg on WiFi with no lag or signal breakup.

Then fitted Orbi Lan no change but WiFi 200plus 🙂

Then had my Viggin Boxes upgraded to the new V6 Tivo and the engineer conected both boxes via cat 7 cables and all was fine but now had to go back to WiFi as the Lan connection to Orbi and the Satelite started breaking only for a few seconds stopping any recordings of TV programs. But on WiFi all is well.

And before you say contact Netgear Support don't go there , they are as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

And no doubt like the failing speed test App issue all will be fixed but they will never post the problems to their customers.

That would mean giving Support!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

The speed test app was fixed. This was a NG speed service issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Connection-Failure-on-Speed-Test/m-p/1556751#M28966

@TreborNewob5 wrote:

Virgin Media 200 meg on Lan network and about 70 to 80 meg on WiFi with no lag or signal breakup.

Then had my Viggin Boxes upgraded to the new V6 Tivo and the engineer conected both boxes via cat 7 cables and all was fine but now had to go back to WiFi as the Lan connection to Orbi and the Satelite started breaking only for a few seconds stopping any recordings of TV programs. But on WiFi all is well.

And before you say contact Netgear Support don't go there , they are as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

And no doubt like the failing speed test App issue all will be fixed but they will never post the problems to their customers.

Message 10 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

@TreborNewob5 wrote:

Are you on the latest (Beta) frimware and, if so, have you done a factory reset with the change to latest (beta) firmaware?  If not, and acknowledging that its a right royal PITA, I'd recommend a factory reset. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give a factory reset if you updated to v2.1.3.4 and set up from scratch. It's advised to run the speedtest app from with in the router while ALL other devices are disconnected from the router accept for one wired PC. Let the test run the save the results. Then re-connect all the rest if your devcies. QoS is working for both wired and wireless devics.

@TreborNewob5 wrote:

Message 12 of 22
st_shaw
Master

@Case850 wrote:

Since when has the Orbi & Orbi Pro supported QoS for wired devices?

Are you saying WMM QoS supports both wired and wireless devices?

Orbi has a setup page for Dynamic QoS. Are you saying it doesn't work?

http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

@DarrentM only said: "Orbi does not currently have advanced Qos settings."

Said nothing about Dynamic QoS. 

Message 14 of 22
st_shaw
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@st_shaw

>>> Orbi has a setup page for Dynamic QoS. Are you saying it doesn't work?

YES, Dynamic QoS is not currently available. See Message 2 on this Topic which is confirmed by Netgear.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-QoS-does-not-work-What-s-up/td-p/1513408

That's not how I would interpret Darren's post. Dynamic QoS is certainly exposed and available in the router UI.  I've never tried it myself, though, because I use a Mikrotik router for QoS.

Is Darren's post the only reason you believe Dynamic QoS doesn't work?

Message 15 of 22
st_shaw
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@st_shaw

Is the documentation the only reason you believe Dynamic QoS works? You could read the rest of that Topic.

Given that you have an Orbi, why don't you set it up as a Router and try to enable Dynamic QoS?

I'm not going to test it because I'm not saying QoS does or does not work. You're the one saying it doesn't doesn't work, so I'm asking you to back up your statement. It seems that you can't. Do you own an Orbi?

Message 16 of 22
TreborNewob5
Guide

Why would I want to use Beta Firmware?

Netgear can't get the normal firmware right so why compound the issue with Beta?

Do you work for Netgear?

If you do why cant we get support for the great new Orbi costing £400.00 plus in some cases and with 2 years warranty but only 3 months support?

They do not tell you this in any of the Adds or when you buy!

I was even told by Netgear support yesterday when my Orbi systems crashed that Netgear is considering uping the 3 months support to 6 months!

I said why not 2 years like it used to be many years ago with Netgear support was like your warranty, and if you phoned them you only got through to, USA, UK, France Germay and southern Ireland. Those were the days 24/7 365.

None of this calling india with poor quality phone lines and if they don't like you they hang up!

Try asking for a complaints dept according to support it does not exist, and I was even told they do not have a customer service dept!

That turned out to be true it's called customer care! Relly:(

And why if your three months support up  do we have to go to the community?

I am just a pensioner who love his PC and gamming and who also loves Orbi when it works, trouble is it's down more than it's up.

So come on Netgear less bull **bleep** and more support would be nice?

Message 17 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

@TreborNewob5 wrote:

Netgear can't get the normal firmware right so why compound the issue with Beta?

So come on Netgear less bull **bleep** and more support would be nice?

Can I suggest that you should only consider the Beta firmware if you're having disconnection problems.  Otherwise stick with what you've got.  Beta releases occur for many other complex software products (e.g. Microsoft's Windows Insider Program, Roku, Paragon, etc) and its a normal part of a software release cycle. It's rather unprecedented for a company to make Beta software available in this widespread manner, but at least Netgear are making this option available to help resolve the situation while they work on more elegant and longer term fixes.

I certainly don't work for Netgear and I'm just as frustrated as everyone with the continueing glitches (in particular I have a wall plug satellite that is currently completely unusable).  However, although I have no affiliation with Netgear I have had professional involvment with software development ... and its certainly not easy nor certain at times.  Consider all the variables that a home Router needs to contend with in the real world:  different ISP arcitectures, different devices connecting to the network with an almost infinite array of interactions, different environmental factors, challenges of handoffs between satellites [trigger events], differing configuration of Orbi family products, etc.   With all these variables, it is impossible to fully test this type of product before releasing to market. Indeed, one perspective is that software is never really finished - it could alwats be improved so it needs to be released when it is godd enough. I'm sure that a company of Netgear's pedigree is really stressed about this and are working furiously behind the scenes to resolve things. 

However, it's worth taking a deep breath and reflecting on why most of us bought the Orbi in the first place.  When it works, it works very well (NB - that's the reason for all the rave reviews that probably convinced us to buy it).  It is rather unique in 'mesh' systems (albeit not true 'mesh') with having the dedicated backhaul capability and the router and satellites have many more ethernet ports that competing products.  Independent benchmark tests (e.g. www.smallnetbuilder.com) declare it a winner for a number of reasons.  In my own personal circumstances, previous problems that I had with a Linksys EA8500 (disconnects and flakey streaming to a Chromecast) have been fixed by moving to the Orbi. 

Yes, I wish that my outlay on this premium product wasn't so problematic (I have trouble explaining the rationale for the switch to my non-tech wife - Man Sad).  And I also ruefully reflect that I've spent more time on a Router's forum than I'd ever have though possible.  But the reasons above are why I'll sit tight and trust Netgear to get this thing working well.  Once they get the kinks out it's going to be really good - and worth the wait. 

So only consider using this Beta if you're getting disconnects.  If you do adopt it, then also do the factory reset (yes, its a hassle but many of us have demonstrated the benefit of doing a reset).  You might be plesantly suprpised by the outcome.   All the best.

Message 18 of 22
st_shaw
Master

@Case850 wrote:

...you WILL NOT verify that Dynamic QoS is actually available on the Orbi. I just ran a search for "Dynamic QoS" in the Orbi User Manual and guess what, it could NOT find "Dynamic QoS". It could not find "Dynamic QoS" because it DOES NOT EXIST ON THE ORBI.

It's an easily verifiable fact that you are wrong.  Dynamic QoS is in the Orbi GUI under: Advanced-->Setup-->QoS Setup.

The URL is http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm

The Orbi QoS GUI page has the following description:

"Dynamic QoS improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage. When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming.

Internet Bandwidth - Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth (recommended): Accurate Internet bandwidth is required for Dynamic QoS to work properly. The router automatically runs Speedtest the first time you enable Dynamic QoS. Click the Speedtest button to recheck your bandwidth. Avoid any Internet activity while Speedtest is running."

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Be advised there is newer v2.1.4.10 FW now for 50 series systems:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055985/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-10

This isn't beta I believe.

Up to you if you wanna try it. 

@TreborNewob5 wrote:

Message 20 of 22
st_shaw
Master

Mine auto-updated about 7 hours ago.

Message 21 of 22
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be advised there is newer v2.1.4.10 FW now for 50 series systems:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055985/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-10

This isn't beta I believe.

Up to you if you wanna try it. 

DON'T DO IT (update - if you can at all avoid it)! 

The firmware auto-updated to 2.1.4.10 and guess what - the #@%!@#! throttling is back!

I am now only getting:

• approx 100 Mbps over the Eternet connected PC (previously the full 200 Mbps. 
  • A woeful 6 Mbps to my iPhone 6S over WiFi in the same room as the router (previously approx 150 Mbps) 

Netgear:

1.  STOP THE AUTO- UPDATING.  IT BREAKS A SYSTEM THAT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY OKAY

2.  IF I HAVE TO DO A FACTORY RESET AFTER EVERY FIRMWARE UPDATE - THEN I'M TAKING THIS SYSTEM BACK FOR A REFUND. 

I've just about had enough with this system. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7