Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Topology

zeege
Aspirant

Orbi Topology

Hi All,

I have a question on Orbi topology. To my understanding the default topology would be as in picture one where I have to do double cabling if I want to use ethernet backhaul to connect to Satellite devices. Is there any way around this or is there any no-wifi orb devices that I could put in the routing cabinet to act as a controller for all the satellites? I basically do not need any routing functions on the Orbs, just a stable mesh wifi.

Topology 1Topology 1

The topology 2 would be the prefererred model for my environment but I assume there is no way of creating as of today? I would really would not want to put a Orb Router with Wifi in a cabling closet. All suggestions are welcome..

Topology 2Topology 2

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Topology

If you already have a router in place, you can use the Orb system in AP mode, where the base becomes the main wireless AP and controller for the satellites. You can still wire connect the satellites to the Orbi base for wired backhaul as well in AP mode.

Message 2 of 6
zeege
Aspirant

Is there some instructions on cabling for this setup? I assume on the Orbi Router I only connect Ethernet port to the switch that I have and connect the other Orbi satellites to the same switch?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Yes you can connect the satellites to the same switch with the main Orbi base. Or have a switch in between the base and satellites.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch? Managed or non Managed? There are known problems with Managed switches and Orib systems on wired backhaul. Mainly IGMP protocols.

Message 4 of 6
zeege
Aspirant

So you are saying that the Topology picture #2 would work assuming my router would provide DHCP and other needed functions. Orbi Router + Sattellite would work as Plain APs that would work in a MESH? I am using an HP 1810-8G(J9802A) switch but it seems that it does not support Layer 2 Multicast (IGMP) snooping. I see no problem in updating the switch as long as don't need to do extra cabling.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I believe that scenario should work. I've always connected the switch after the router for my system and then the satellite to the switch. I have two switches in between the router and satellite now.

If the switch is non managed or doesn't have IGMP enabled, you should be good to use it. Those a good switches. I use several HP switches in my mix.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7