Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi - Torrent and DNS problem

zowa
Aspirant

Orbi - Torrent and DNS problem

Hello,

I have the following problem:

Orbi (2 units) router mode. When I download something using a torrent client (uTorrent), the DNS name resolution stops. 

The network connectivity goes on ok. I can access anything by IP address. And if I configure manually a different DNS server for my computer, it works just fine. The problem is that Orbi just stops wth name resolution. 

I have to reboot the units to make DNS work again.

And guess what: I AM UNABLE TO CONFIGURE A DIFFERENT DNS SERVER USING ORBI'S DHCP, BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE THE OPTION!!

Well, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

I was able to set custom DNS on my friends Orib when setting his up:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 2 of 16
zowa
Aspirant

Hello,

Firmware V2.1.4.16.

The orbi is connected to a simple ADSL modem. The problem is not with the modem, because I can connect a laptop to another port at the modem, and it works fine. Only machines behind Orbi are affected by the DNS problem, and only if they are receiving the DNS Server IP Address from Orbi's DHCP.

The Orbi's DHCP configuration does not have an option to change the DNS server provided to clients. Really strange.

My setup:

ADSL Modem -> Orbi RBR50 -> Orbi Satelite (15 feet distance).

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Message 4 of 16
VladAlex
Aspirant

I am having exactly the same problem (my Orbi router is an AP mode not Router mode so AP mode doesn't resolve this)
Some additional details:
- Only those clients connected to the satellites (wired or wireless) loose DNS. The clients connected to the main Orbi AP (RBR50) keep working properly. Of note, clients connected to any satellite loose DNS (i.e not just those connected to satellite that the system using torrent is connected to). So, this is most certainly a backhaul issue
- Tweaking torrent settings to reduce the download speed\active torrents\maximum number of connections\etc doesn't seem to help
- Using a VPN (configured at the client level not at the router) doesn't help either
- My router (non-Orbi) is my DNS server. I haven't yet tried configuring things to where the router will also avertise external DNS servers to clients in addition to itself
- I use qBitTorrent, haven't tried other torrent clients
- Orbi AP mode is very stable the rest of the time - the problem is isolated to torrenting

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe a issue with your main host router rather then with the Orbi. If the Orbi is in AP mode, then its working as a pass thru. Data problems would be needing looked at on the main host router...

@VladAlex wrote:

I am having exactly the same problem (my Orbi router is an AP mode not Router mode so AP mode doesn't resolve this)
Some additional details:
- Only those clients connected to the satellites (wired or wireless) loose DNS. The clients connected to the main Orbi AP (RBR50) keep working properly. Of note, clients connected to any satellite loose DNS (i.e not just those connected to satellite that the system using torrent is connected to). So, this is most certainly a backhaul issue
- Tweaking torrent settings to reduce the download speed\active torrents\maximum number of connections\etc doesn't seem to help
- Using a VPN (configured at the client level not at the router) doesn't help either
- My router (non-Orbi) is my DNS server. I haven't yet tried configuring things to where the router will also avertise external DNS servers to clients in addition to itself
- I use qBitTorrent, haven't tried other torrent clients
- Orbi AP mode is very stable the rest of the time - the problem is isolated to torrenting

Message 6 of 16
VladAlex
Aspirant

While that's possible it's extremely unlikely.

- This issue started happening as soon as I installed Orbi, I didn't have any issues with the router (R8500 running DD-WRT) prior to that point. 

- Only clients connected to Orbi Satellites loose DNS - clients connected to main Orbi AP (wired and wireless) and those connected (wired) to the router are just fine. From router's POV, all clients connected to Orbi "look" the same so I don't see how a router issue couild impact only the satellite clients 🙂

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Netgear was trying to do something smart with DNS queries within the Orbi system and something like Torrent (which opens up a tonn of connections could be impacting things).

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

When in AP mode, the Orbi is just a pass thru for network traffic. Orbi wouldn't be doing any kind of network management I don't think...

Message 8 of 16
zowa
Aspirant

It is clearly a Netgear problem. They have a bugged product, and they don't even care to solve it, even with many people reporting it.

Message 9 of 16
mith_it
Luminary

@zowa,
Go to the Web UI of the router, in the basic settings tab click on "Internet" around the middle of the page you will see the menu to manually configure the DNS. Try that one to see if your router is not picking up the dns from your provider.

Message 10 of 16
zowa
Aspirant

It does not matter what DNS server is being used by Orbi. I have tried many...

The problem is that Orbi stops responding DNS queries to connected devices. And there is no option to change the DNS server distributed do clientes by Orbi's DHCP service.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have just a bad unit. No body else has posted about what your seeing. You might contact NG support and ask for additional help and information and ask for an RMA.

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

Message 12 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @zowa

We are currently offering a beta firmware to community members with an RBR50/RBS50. This may solve your issue so if you're interested, please respond to the thread below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

~Christian 

Message 13 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @VladAlex,

As mentioned to @zowa, we are currently offering a beta firmware to community members with RBR50/RBS50. If you're interested, please respond to the thread below. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

~Christian 

Message 14 of 16
elocsin
Aspirant

That's incorrect.  I've been dealing with this issue since I setup the Orbi during the summer.  Everything is fine up until I start a torrent client on the machine and after a few minutes of downloading, DNS resolution and ping start to fail.  As soon as I kill the client, DNS resolution and ping start working again.  My old Linksys router never had this problem. 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that your torrent is maxing out bandwidth connection thru the Orbi. Try setting your Torrents downloads to something minimal to start and see if the download problem still happens? 

Can you download something usuing a browser from a web site and does the problem happen during a web site download? 

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@elocsin wrote:

That's incorrect.  I've been dealing with this issue since I setup the Orbi during the summer.  Everything is fine up until I start a torrent client on the machine and after a few minutes of downloading, DNS resolution and ping start to fail.  As soon as I kill the client, DNS resolution and ping start working again.  My old Linksys router never had this problem. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7