Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Traffic Meter Issue

RobertWycoff
Aspirant

Orbi Traffic Meter Issue

Is it true that the Orbi Traffic Meter is disabled in my Orbi because it is in AP Mode?  Will it function if I change the Orbi to Router Mode?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

When in AP mode, most router features are diabled since there not needed and there is another upstream router that would be handling traffic metering if it's supported there. So there wouldn't be a need for any additional traffic metering. You can change the Orbi back to Router mode and enable metering if thats needed.

If your modem has a built in router and you want to use the Orbi router, you can use the modems DMZ feature for the Orbi routers IP address.

Message 2 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38wrote:

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

When in AP mode, most router features are diabled since there not needed and there is another upstream router that would be handling traffic metering if it's supported there. So there wouldn't be a need for any additional traffic metering. You can change the Orbi back to Router mode and enable metering if thats needed.

If your modem has a built in router and you want to use the Orbi router, you can use the modems DMZ feature for the Orbi routers IP address.

I have a Comcast XB6 gateway TG3482G which is a combo modem/router.  And it DOES have a DMZ.  Comcast doesn't provide any instructions on how to use the DMZ.  About 10 years ago I had a Linksys router with DDWRT and I've forgotten everything.

Here is one Comcast instruction:

"DMZ
Enable a DMZ (demilitarized zone) for a specified device to help resolve communication issues with an online application. Enabling DMZ poses a security risk and should be used with caution. Consider adjusting port forward settings instead."

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ only poses a problem if you don't have a device with a firewall. You can use the DMZ for the Orbi router in Router mode, then the Orbi will have it's own firewall enabled and you'd be safe. It's just placing NAT with the Orbi router instead of the ISP modem is all.

It's an option only. Up to users to decide when that have these ISP modem router combos.

Message 4 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38wrote:

DMZ only poses a problem if you don't have a device with a firewall. You can use the DMZ for the Orbi router in Router mode, then the Orbi will have it's own firewall enabled and you'd be safe. It's just placing NAT with the Orbi router instead of the ISP modem is all.

It's an option only. Up to users to decide when that have these ISP modem router combos.

Well, that makes more sense to use the Orbi DMZ rather than the gateway's.

So, I guess my steps would be 

1. Change the Orbi to Router Mode

2. Put the gateway in Bridge Mode

3. Enable the Orbi DMZ.

Anything else?  Do I have the right order?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ is only needed if you can't bridge the ISP modem. So if the modem can be bridged fully, this should disable any router functions on the ISP modem, this would included DMZ. However it the modem can't be fully bridged, then use DMZ on the modem for the Orbi in Router Mode. 

Message 6 of 8
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38wrote:

DMZ is only needed if you can't bridge the ISP modem. So if the modem can be bridged fully, this should disable any router functions on the ISP modem, this would included DMZ. However it the modem can't be fully bridged, then use DMZ on the modem for the Orbi in Router Mode. 

How do I tell if the Comcast router is "fully bridged"?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll get a public IP address ##.##.###.### on the Orbi router, not a private IP address, 192, or 172 or 10 something. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7