Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

ronealwa
Star

Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

In the last several days the Traffic Meter on my Netgear Orbi system mysteriously stopped working. All entries reverted to zero even though I have traffic flowing every day.

I googled the issue and found a solution about turning of the "adjust for daylight savings time" option under the NTP Settings under the Advanced>Administration>NTP Settings.

When I turned this off and saved, magically the Traffic Meter readings came back and everything seems to be working fine now except that my "Orbi clock" is now off by 1 hour because the Adjust for DST option has been turned off.

Is this a known bug and is Netgear actively working to fix it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 54

Accepted Solutions
Jetdrive
Luminary

Re: Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

Maybe I'm missing something but there seems to be a simple work-around for this. 

Turn off DST and then select a time zone that gives you the correct time. That will provide traffic and the correct time. Come November when the time changes back, you can just adjust your time zone back to the correct zone for your location.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 54

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 54
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ronealwa wrote:

In the last several days the Traffic Meter on my Netgear Orbi system mysteriously stopped working. All entries reverted to zero even though I have traffic flowing every day.

I googled the issue and found a solution about turning of the "adjust for daylight savings time" option under the NTP Settings under the Advanced>Administration>NTP Settings.

When I turned this off and saved, magically the Traffic Meter readings came back and everything seems to be working fine now except that my "Orbi clock" is now off by 1 hour because the Adjust for DST option has been turned off.

Thanks.

so this has been an issue for 2 years and there is still no fix?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Traffic-Meter-Issue/m-p/1499209

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Traffic-meter-DAYLIGHT-SAVING-TIME-BUG-R7800...

Message 3 of 54
ronealwa
Star

Firmware v2.5.1.8

Orbi system connected to Comcast cable via a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

@ronealwa wrote:

Interesting report.  Have you tried checking the Daylight Saving Time box again to see if Traffic Meter keeps working?

I have watched this forum for two years and this is the first report about this I remember seeing.  My guess is, "No. This is not a 'known bug' and Netgear is not actively working to fix it."  Netgear appears not to be fixing a number of really serious issues that affect many customers and prompt pretty angry comments on the forum.  If there is a priority list, my guess is investigating an issue like this will be FAR down the list.

Hope this doesn't come across as too negative.  I am one of those who are really happy with the performance of my Orbi and glad I bought it.

Message 5 of 54
ronealwa
Star

I did try turning the DST option back on and when I did, the traffic meter reverted to all zeroes again. So I can reproduce the problem consistently.

Oh well, I am just happy that I got a solution that got the traffic meter back working correctly. I can live with the clock being off an hour...until the fall when we go back off DST...lol

Message 6 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

@ronealwa wrote:

I did try turning the DST option back on and when I did, the traffic meter reverted to all zeroes again. So I can reproduce the problem consistently.

Thanks for the report. I should have checked my own Orbi before responding.  "Funniest thing", MY RBR50 Traffic Meter is also "zeroed out."  When I turn it off and download 100mb of files, nothing shows.  When I turn it back on again and download files, nothing slows.

What fun!

Message 7 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

I rebooted the router as well.  Still no Traffic Meter.

Message 8 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP modem working in? Router or bridged? This modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@ronealwa wrote:

Firmware v2.5.1.8

Orbi system connected to Comcast cable via a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem

Message 9 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

It is interesting that the Traffic Meters stats are there. They simply do not display.  I tried restarting the counters, which actually does work. But, when DST is checked "on", no statistics appear at all.  Wonder how long this behavior persists.  Will there be a magic cure on April 1?

Message 10 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

I fail to see how a "Double NAT" would cause a problem like this.  My Orbi is connected directly to a simple modem, and it exhibits exactly the same behavior.

Message 11 of 54
ronealwa
Star

The isp modem is already setup as bridged. The problem I am confident is in the Orbi router SW somewhere.
Message 12 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking on your NAT condition. Double NAT could cause problems with accurate traffice flow from the modem/router, if one is in place to the RBR. If the modem is bridged, then this wouldn't be a cause. 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Enable Traffic Meter again then monitor again for the problem. 

@ronealwa wrote:
The isp modem is already setup as bridged. The problem I am confident is in the Orbi router SW somewhere.

Message 13 of 54
Retired_Member
Not applicable

factory reset is for lost passwords

Message 14 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

My initial impression was that the status of the Daylight Saving Time check box affects the web page that generates results.  However, it is "deeper" than that.  With DST checked, I telnetted into my Orbi and navigated to /tmp/traffic_meter.  Printed out the file "traffic_statistics"

root@RBR50:~/traffic_meter# cat traffic_statistics
Today 0:0 0.00 0.00 0.00
Yesterday 0:0 0.00 0.00 0.00
Thisweek 0:0 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00
Thismonth 0:0 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00
Lastmonth 0:0 0.00/0.00 0.03/0.00 0.03/0.00
root@RBR50:~/traffic_meter#

Went to the Advanced Tab, Administration, and unchecked the DST box.  Now, I see this:
root@RBR50:~/traffic_meter# cat traffic_statistics
Today 3:12 98.54 2,183 2,282
Yesterday 0:0 0.00 0.00 0.00
Thisweek 3:12 98.54/24.64 2,183/545.99 2,282/570.62
Thismonth 3:12 98.54/8.96 2,183/198.54 2,282/207.50
Lastmonth 38:23 458.88/15.82 4,393/151.51 4,852/167.33

My impression now is that the issue is not in the web page code.  It is in the traffic meter code that copies statistics from *someplace* in memory and write out the "traffic_statistics" file that is accessed by the web page.  When DST is checked, it writes zeros to the file.  When not checked, it writes the actual traffic values to the file.

As usual, I have no theory for how this can affect some Orbis (including mine) and not others.

Message 15 of 54
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I enabled Traffic Meter and likewise see that it is not reporting anything unless I disable the Adjust for Daylight Savings.  This bug may only affect those that are in a time zone that has DST in effect, which starts and ends at different dates around the world.  I am in the United States where DST started on March 8 (except for a few states like Arizona). Traffic Meter is broken in the current v2.5.1.8 firmware, perhaps in other versions as well.

Enabling telnet on the router and logging in, running the "date" command shows that it uses UTC for the timezone on the router.  I would think that using UTC, which DST does not affect, their firmware should still be able to measure traffic flow regardless of the timezone used for the GUI display.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 16 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to open up a support ticket and let NG know what your seeing.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#

@Blanca_O 

@ronealwa wrote:

Message 17 of 54
ronealwa
Star

Unfortunately, my support period has expired and they want me to pay before I can issue a trouble ticket...what a joke. You would think they would welcome customer input on issues out in the field.

I guess that says something about Netgear and it's level of customer care.

Message 18 of 54
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ronealwa wrote:

Unfortunately, my support period has expired and they want me to pay before I can issue a trouble ticket...what a joke. You would think they would welcome customer input on issues out in the field.

I guess that says something about Netgear and it's level of customer care.

You may want to bring this to the attention of one of the moderators here.  I'm sure if this has been an issue for 2 years, they would know about it.

Message 19 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Maybe I'm missing something but there seems to be a simple work-around for this. 

Turn off DST and then select a time zone that gives you the correct time. That will provide traffic and the correct time. Come November when the time changes back, you can just adjust your time zone back to the correct zone for your location.

Message 20 of 54
ronealwa
Star

That is such a cool idea and totally worked!

Now can you get right on the antidote for the Coronavirus?  🙂

Thanks!

Message 21 of 54
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Tried the DST change to off and then select a time zone that reflects correct time.  Applied the change and the traffic meter suddenly starts working. However checking back a few hours later I see the setting has reverted to the DST setting being on in central time zone which is my correct time zone where I started.  So something reverts to change later and the traffic meter stops working again.

Message 22 of 54
ronealwa
Star

Interesting...

I have not seen that same behaviour. Since I have unchecked the DST option and saved it, it has remained off and the Traffic Meter has kept working successfully.

Maybe you did a firmware update or something that might have reverted the settings? I don't know.

Good Luck!

Message 23 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Netgear is reverting my time zone and rechecking the dst box for me too. Then the traffic meter quits working. I've changed mine numerous times but Netgear just reverts it back. Even just changing the DST option only lasts a few minutes before Netgear rechecks the box for me. Hitting apply and refreshing the screen shows the DST box unchecked -- just only lasts a few minutes. 

Message 24 of 54
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Are you using Netgear's NTP server, or another NTP server?  I am using pool.ntp.org for NTP and DST remains disabled for me, allowing Traffic Meter to also work.

@Jetdrive wrote:

Netgear is reverting my time zone and rechecking the dst box for me too. Then the traffic meter quits working. I've changed mine numerous times but Netgear just reverts it back. Even just changing the DST option only lasts a few minutes before Netgear rechecks the box for me. Hitting apply and refreshing the screen shows the DST box unchecked -- just only lasts a few minutes. 

Message 25 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7