Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi UPNP Portmap Table Blank

beastlove
Aspirant

Orbi UPNP Portmap Table Blank

Hi

I am having some trouble with my sons PS4 and NAT. It comes up with a message that voice chat will not work due to his NAT settings and I think it might be something to do with UPNP

I'm no expert on networking so could do with some help. We have 2 x PS4 console in the house. One is hardwired to the Orbi satellite which in turn is hardwired to the main Orbi router. We got a second PS4 last month and this is now hardwired into the Orbi Router.  The first PS4 works fine but the second has the voice problems due to NAT (not all the time though). I checked the UPNP settings and could only see the IP address of the first PS4. I refreshed the page, disabled and enable UPNP and now the table is blank. I am not sure if it should be blank or not. Really cannot understand why one works and the other doesn't. I am on the latest firmware as well. Please help

Thanks

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi UPNP Portmap Table Blank

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you have to game consoles on the same network, do the following. Set up IP address reservations for each console. Save settings and apply and turn OFF the game consoles. Go in and set NAT Filter to OPEN. Save settings and apply. Found under Advaned Tab/Setup/WAN Setup. 

Message 2 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@beastlove wrote:

........... I checked the UPNP settings and could only see the IP address of the first PS4. I refreshed the page, disabled and enable UPNP and now the table is blank. I am not sure if it should be blank or not. Really cannot understand why one works and the other doesn't. I am on the latest firmware as well. Please help

It seems that the PS4 is not making the UPNP requests. One way to force the PS4 to make the UPnP requests can be to run the "Internet Connect Test" in PS4. Please try this if the above proposal from @FURRYe38 does not work

Message 3 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you recommended about it doesn't seem to show anything in the UPNP table. Both consoles are showing NAT Type 2 which would suggest it is working but the lack of voice chat shows it doesn't.

Message 4 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

I am running firmware V2.2.1.210. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  BT standard - ECI Telecom Ltd, B-Focus V-2Fub/r rev B.

I've set static IPs for both consoles. Is it not dangerous to have Open NAT?  I have my PC, laptops etc on the same network. As much as I love my son playing video games, I don't want to become the victim of internet fraud or getting a virus. Happy to have open nat for both consoles if that helps. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This modem have a built in router? Just checking as if it does, this can cause problems. I believe it's a modem only. 

Type 2 what you should see on PS game consoles. It will be the max you will ever see with a router behind a stand alone modem with out a built in router. 

Having OPEN for NAT Filter is ok. It works for multi player games and some NAT issues with two or more game consoles behind the same router. You can keep Secure as well. NAT Filter mostly effects mutliplayer games like CoD with two or more game consoles. If you or your son don't play these kinds of games, keep Secure. I play CoD games and have two consoles playing same game at the same time so I use OPEN. No issues.

What browser are you using? Does IE11, FF or Opera browser see this issue. 

Please post a picture of what your seeing in the uPnP table for review...

Message 6 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

I've tried with edge, firefox and chrome (default). This is my Upnp table. It must be working to show NAT 2 but I still get the NAT warning on his PS4.upnp.PNG

Message 7 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

Quick update - when I switch his PS4 to use WIFI instead of cable and go to party chat, I get a NAT chat error. If it is hardwired the NAT chat error doesn't occur.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets try this. set up IP address reservations for the both consoles ON the router. I would wired connect the consoles for this. If you choose wireless, you'll may need to set a different IP address reservation for the wireless connection. Clear any static IPs on the consoles and set them up for dynamic or auto obtain IP/DNS addressing. If Sony has any kind of power button reset method to reset the consoles, lets do that and fully power them OFF. For xbox, if you hold the power button untill it shuts off, this clears it's caches using this method.

Besure uPnP is enabled and NAT Filter is set to OPEN on the router. Save settings and then power OFF the Modem and Orbi router. Power ON the modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router. Let it come to ready. 

Power ON the sons console first. Check NAT status with in the consoles networking settings. I presume it has this some place. I don't use PS so Just kind of going on what Xbox has. I presume you should see NAT Type 2 here. This is fine. Launch his game and check for any NAT status or check the chat condition.

Power on your game console and check NAT status on the console. Then start your game and check status here.

If all is cleared, there shouldn't be any problems getting into games and chat should work.

Message 9 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 . Voice chat is working now but the UPNP table is still blank. Doesn't really much difference but still odd none the less. I am guessing this must be a firmware bug or something.  Thanks to all for the help and advice. 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible issue in FW. You should make contact with NG support about this. Hopefully some engineering review will be done.

@Blanca_O

@beastlove wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 . Voice chat is working now but the UPNP table is still blank. Doesn't really much difference but still odd none the less. I am guessing this must be a firmware bug or something.  Thanks to all for the help and advice. 

Message 11 of 14
thelambeers
Aspirant

Out of courisoty, do you have IPv6 enabled on your lan or through your internet uplink at all?

Message 12 of 14
beastlove
Aspirant

No it is not enabled. It is working now but still blank

@thelambeers wrote:

Out of courisoty, do you have IPv6 enabled on your lan or through your internet uplink at all?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I beleive your modem has a built in router already.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Have you tired disabling any uPnP on the modem. 

Try the Orbi in AP mode wit the modem? 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7