Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi USB Firmware?

OPRF
Initiate

Orbi USB Firmware?

Hi, are there any plans to update the firmware on the ORBI to allow us to use the USB port to connect a printer?  I just switched to ORBI from an Apple Airport Extreme for better wireless coverage, but now our family's big old color laser printer is only accessible by whoever has the cord.  With our AirPort Extreme everyone in the family could print to it when it was plugged directly into the router, and a much more intuitive user interface. 

Any know when this will be available?   I can live with a crappy interface, but the USB port was the reason I went with this unit over others.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
rhester72
Virtuoso

@OPRF wrote:

Any know when this will be available?   I can live with a crappy interface, but the USB port was the reason I went with this unit over others.  

It was?  I thought it was well-understood on these forums (you did research the product before purchase, right?) that there was no USB device support, nor is it mentioned anywhere on the packaging or documentation.

Rodney

Message 2 of 5
OPRF
Initiate

Thanks for the *helpful* reply Rodney.  

The packaging highlights a USB port, and the documentation is basic on how to connect to the internet and the satellite.  I did read reviews of the product which mentioned the interface challenges, but none mentioned the USB port was only a decoration.  I only turned to the form when I couldn't find information elsewhere.  

I was hoping (as it appears there are Netgear employees on this site) for an answer.  

Message 3 of 5
MarkC1024
Luminary

I would agree that as the product data advertises USB 2.0 support, it should be functional.  However, USB 2.0 is pretty slow and you're much better off getting something ethernet based that is designed to function as a cloud device.  It will perform much better.

Message 4 of 5
rhester72
Virtuoso

Right now, the only thing the USB does is allow you to dump logs to a flash drive in debug mode.  As Netgear is unlikely to announce future plans on a forum, I wouldn't expect much in the way of any sort of official forward-looking answer.

Rodney

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7