Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Ultra WiFi mesh extender doesn’t do it for me

Jongemini75017
Aspirant

Orbi Ultra WiFi mesh extender doesn’t do it for me

Bought the NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System. I set it up as directed. Although the satellite was located in the bedroom above the router, the Wifi was still poor. Overall it was no better than my previous Devolo extenders which I’d had for a long time. Am thinking of returning the Orbi as I’m disappointed in the range.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A couple of items to consider:

2.5.0.38 has known issues.  You may want to see if you can roll your firmware back.

Looks like the ZYXEL VMG8924-B10A is a dual router/modem.  If this is true, it requires special config to make it work with the Orbi.  You really don't need or want 2 routers in your network.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Too close means there to too much signal overlap. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
Jongemini75017
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.
Firmware version: 2.5.0.38
Model: RBR50

Modem / router is a ZYXEL VMG8924-B10A

House is a large 3600 sq ft house but I can’t connect when I’m even 25 foot from the Router in the next room.

I’m using 2.4g but also tried 5GHz to no avail. Switched channels but no different.

Neighbors too far away so no interference.
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A couple of items to consider:

2.5.0.38 has known issues.  You may want to see if you can roll your firmware back.

Looks like the ZYXEL VMG8924-B10A is a dual router/modem.  If this is true, it requires special config to make it work with the Orbi.  You really don't need or want 2 routers in your network.

Message 4 of 7
Jongemini75017
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to help.  It looks like I'm not going to be successful with this unless I buy a new modem-only rather than my existing modem-router. I did some research on the Orbi but there was no mention of not working correctly with dual modem routers which are the norm in the UK.  I have already spent a lot of money on the Orbi kit (router plus 2 extenders) so my best bet would appear to be to return this product to the reseller and to revert to my DEVOLO mesh extenders instead - which gave me better coverage.

Thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jongemini75017 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to help.  It looks like I'm not going to be successful with this unless I buy a new modem-only rather than my existing modem-router.

Please keep in mind, many folks here have been successful in running the Orbi with a dual modem/router.  It just takes a few extra steps.  

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Jongemini75017 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to help.  It looks like I'm not going to be successful with this unless I buy a new modem-only rather than my existing modem-router. I did some research on the Orbi but there was no mention of not working correctly with dual modem routers which are the norm in the UK.  I have already spent a lot of money on the Orbi kit (router plus 2 extenders) so my best bet would appear to be to return this product to the reseller and to revert to my DEVOLO mesh extenders instead - which gave me better coverage.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7