Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Updates

SGlennW
Tutor

Orbi Updates

I have the Orbi app on my iPhone. I am logged in on it with my personalized User ID and password. I see there is an update. However, when I click on it, it takes me to the internet and asks for a User ID and password. I read online that these are admin and password. This seems pretty lame, but it does not work anyway.

Can someone explain how you update the Orbi through the App and what User ID and password is supposed to be entered when re-directed to the internet?  Also, unless I am missing something, this is a poor way to do updates. Is there an auto-update somewhere in the App?

Thanx.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
SGlennW
Tutor

Solved it! Nevermind!

Message 2 of 5

That's good news.

Care to share what you did?

Might benefit a later victim.

Message 3 of 5
SGlennW
Tutor

Mostly it was about my not being stupid indefinitely. I would have deleted my post, but there was no way to do that.

Basically, I was looking to address signal loss issues with my YouTube TV, so I was exploring the easiests steps to try to fix it. I happened to open my Orbi App on my iPhone, and I saw the word "update." I assumed it meant to there was a hardware update, which led me to the whole password issue. I guessed what I must have changed the admin password to three months ago, and discovered that "update" only meant to update your admin settings.  Orbi should change how that reads in the App.

I will say that Orbi/Netgear are a bit sloppy here. There was no way to get my User ID via email or to recover my password. Those are bad jobs by them. Also, I still do not see the value of having to have two separate logins to do things for the Orbi. Silly.

Anyway, that's it.

Message 4 of 5

@SGlennW wrote:

I will say that Orbi/Netgear are a bit sloppy here. There was no way to get my User ID via email or to recover my password. Those are bad jobs by them. Also, I still do not see the value of having to have two separate logins to do things for the Orbi. Silly.

There are just too many login options all round. Local access to the router, remote access to the router, then there is access to this place.

There have been moves to unify them, but it is slow progress.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7