Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi V2.0.0.74 - iPhones constantly losing Internet connectivity (but not WiFi connectivity)

Dwtk
Tutor

Re: Orbi V2.0.0.74 - iPhones constantly losing Internet connectivity (but not WiFi connectivity)

This is happening with my iPhone 10 on the latest firmware
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 26 of 55
russellmoran99
Luminary

My post seemed to be removed...

I have had the same issue for months. I’ve been issue free for 48 hours now on my wife and I iPhone. I manually changed the DNS on our iPhone Orbi connection to “8.8.8.8” and “8.8.4.4”. 2 days of hastle free iPhone browsing!!!
Message 27 of 55
Dwtk
Tutor

Cool will give it ago tonight . Did you turn off beaming and mimo
Message 28 of 55
russellmoran99
Luminary

Yes, had them on and off and it didn’t matter. I currently have Beamforming on and MIMO off but that’s because my nest thermostats and logetich smart hubs.
Message 29 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try disbling Diasy Chain and Fast Roaming to see if those help if you have these options. 

Message 30 of 55
SuperSeven
Guide

I’ve been exactly the same issues connecting with iOS devices.

I’ve tried every setting on the Orbi without success. Something is seriously broken in the Orbi firmware. Come on Netgear, when are you going to sort this out?

Message 31 of 55
Jorgy
Aspirant

I have solved (at least for me) all of my ios issues with the Orbi.  Disable ipv6 in the Orbi and all ios devices work perfect.

My ISP does not offer ipv6 and it seems like all of my ios devices default to ipv6 with the Orbi.

Hope this helps.

- Jorgy

Message 32 of 55
jeraboom
Star

I am the original poster. I found a workaround and things have been pretty stable. I have the Base + 2 Satellite bundle. I disconnected one of the satellites and since then, things have been much better. I don't have "5 bars" of signal everywhere anymore, but at least it works now.

Message 33 of 55
SuperSeven
Guide

Logged in to disable ipv6. Already disabled, so no magic fix here for me

Message 34 of 55
Jorgy
Aspirant

What Orbi firmware are you running? The problem is that ios defaults to trying to use IPv6 even though it’s not enabled in the router. The Orbi responds to ios by supplying IPv6 DNS addresses. Ios doesn’t have a disable IPv6 setting like Android and Windows has. 

Try upgrading the Orbi "current" firmware of 2.0.1.4 to 2.1.2.18.  Make sure IPv6 is disabled. Go into your iOS device and "Forget" your WiFi setting. Scan for your WiFi and connect. This worked for me.

Message 35 of 55
russellmoran99
Luminary

My iPhone is ios11 and I don’t see IPV6 being used at anytime. Also, I have the latest Orbi firmware and IPV6 has been desabked since day 1.
Message 36 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Message 37 of 55
SuperSeven
Guide

Just updated (2 satellites first, then the router). No immediate issues.

I'll monitor over the weekend and report back if this has helped with iOS losing internet connectivity.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 38 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

@SuperSevenwrote:

Just updated (2 satellites first, then the router). No immediate issues.

I'll monitor over the weekend and report back if this has helped with iOS losing internet connectivity.

Message 39 of 55
russellmoran99
Luminary

I just updated my firmware. Fortunately I have the RBR50 and RBS50. Praying for a miracle.
Message 40 of 55
SuperSeven
Guide

24 hours of using firmware version 2.1.3.4 and I'm yet to experience loss of internet on any iOS device, so looks promising...

Message 41 of 55
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here. When I first got the unit it used to work great. I am thinking this might be problem with the 3rd satellite added. Seems to have started after I added. I wonder how many of us having this issue have router and 2 satellites. But truly I am sick and tired of my system now. Everyone with iOS device including my phone just lose internet. My google home is also losing internet all the time. Pretty damn annoying to be honest. Cant believe the system has gotten so much worse since I got it. I can honestly say first couple of months I was in love with it. But th problems have just gotten worse. 

I have no problems with the devices wired in to the satellites. Well I only have devices wired in to one of the satellite. So I know that router is working great and the issues is mainly with wireless signal. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 42 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you updated to the Beta FW?

Have you disabled MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming?

How far is the Satellite away from the router?

What channels are you using?

@nkdwrote:

Same here. When I first got the unit it used to work great. I am thinking this might be problem with the 3rd satellite added. Seems to have started after I added. I wonder how many of us having this issue have router and 2 satellites. But truly I am sick and tired of my system now. Everyone with iOS device including my phone just lose internet. My google home is also losing internet all the time. Pretty damn annoying to be honest. Cant believe the system has gotten so much worse since I got it. I can honestly say first couple of months I was in love with it. But th problems have just gotten worse. 

I have no problems with the devices wired in to the satellites. Well I only have devices wired in to one of the satellite. So I know that router is working great and the issues is mainly with wireless signal. 

Message 43 of 55
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't disabled anything, to be honest. I don't believe a feature that is part of the product should be disabled just to make it work. Since I never had problems before.

On the other note just installed beta firmware late last night and did a factory reset. I will report back further, seems like one of the main bugs in the notes on beta firmware was what I am experiencing where some of my devices would lose internet while others would be fine, mainly wifi. 

So far it looks decent and my speeds seem to be faster as well. But I wouldn't say its eliminated until I have tested it for a week or so and see if any of the family members complain about it lol.

Message 44 of 55
jeraboom
Star

Original Poster here again.
I’m now running 2.1.4.10. Switched 2nd satellite back on, and let it update. It worked for a couple of hours, then exhibited the same problems as before. I turned it back off.
Message 45 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full factory reset on both Router and Satellite then set up from scratch. This needs to be done coming from older FW versions...

What is the distance betwen the satellite and router? 30 ft min to start...

@jeraboom wrote:
Original Poster here again.
I’m now running 2.1.4.10. Switched 2nd satellite back on, and let it update. It worked for a couple of hours, then exhibited the same problems as before. I turned it back off.

Message 46 of 55
computersteve
Apprentice

I’m now also running 2.1.4.10. I have been experiencing the drops of connectivity on IOS devices as well.. whats very strange is it seems to be the way certain devices handle being connected to the Orbi.. I have an Alexa Spot that is connected to a satelite & never looses internet lol meanwhile in the same room I can't use the iPhone without toggeling the wifi... go figure lol 

Message 47 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full factory reset on both Router and Satellite then set up from scratch. This needs to be done coming from older FW versions...Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

@computersteve wrote:

I’m now also running 2.1.4.10. I have been experiencing the drops of connectivity on IOS devices as well.. whats very strange is it seems to be the way certain devices handle being connected to the Orbi.. I have an Alexa Spot that is connected to a satelite & never looses internet lol meanwhile in the same room I can't use the iPhone without toggeling the wifi... go figure lol 

Message 48 of 55
AlexH2018
Aspirant

Firmware 2.1.4.10 here and my iphone X drops the wifi connection very frequently...

Message 49 of 55
sbeares1210
Guide

Do you have it setup as access point or router? And if it is router is it the main router or does it sit behind a router?

Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7