Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi V2.5.1.8 issue

RussFogg
Tutor

Orbi V2.5.1.8 issue

Hi,

2 days did a auto FW update from the app which prompted me - it was  V2.5.1.8 

Since then the RBR50 reboots itself every 20min

I have done the following in the order I have listed...

- Auto updated to  V2.5.1.8...reboots start

- Factory reset and setup again from scratch...reboots continue

- Manually updated to  V2.5.1.8

- Manually downgraded to RBS50-V2.3.5.34 (looks like the last stable FW from the forum reading)

- 'Tried' to Factory reset and setup again from scratch but this time the iOS Orbi app forced me to update to V2.5.1.8, even tried to kill the app and connect via the browser but the router was not up and running

- Due to above had to go back to V2.5.1.8

Any advice pls guys?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The last stable firmware was 2.3.5.30.

Since you have been doing manual firmware updates, it sounds like you are able to access the Orbi web interface.

From the number of users who have posted issues with the iOS Orbi "app", my advice would be "NEVER OPEN THE DAMN THING!"

A number of posters have Orbi's on 2.5.1.8 successfully (including me).

I suggest sticking to the Orbi web interface, loading 2.5.1.8 and doing a fresh setup.

My guess is that "nothing has changed" except the firmware, but we always ask, "what (exactly) is the Orbi connected to? (brand & model)" and "Is the Orbi in router or access point (AP) mode?"

Message 2 of 7
theoak
Luminary

I acutally just down graded from 2.5.1.8 to 2.3.5.30.  I could not get the online GUI or the iOS app to report reliably for me on 2.5.1.8.  Actually it did start with flaky wifi so I reset the devices.  Stabilty seemed to be restored after the reset, but then the connected devices went south on me regardless of the GUI.  The online GUI also reported my Satellites as not connected.

The online GUI seems to want to auto-upgrade me when I go to the Firmware menu, but if I click on another menu item, it never really starts.  The iOS app has this Update button, but it is not automatic.  With a little luck I don't tap it 🙂  If I go to the satellites individually they show up as 2.3.5.30.

Once I down graded either GUI seems to be accurate as to my environment.  People seem to either hate or love 2.5.1.8.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

If you mark the post "Solved", then readers will know that no more effort is required.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@RussFogg wrote:

Hi,

- Manually downgraded to RBS50-V2.3.5.34 (looks like the last stable FW from the forum reading)

- 'Tried' to Factory reset and setup again from scratch but this time the iOS Orbi app forced me to update to V2.5.1.8, even tried to kill the app and connect via the browser but the router was not up and running

Any advice pls guys?

Lessonn learned....don't do MANUAL updates (it's manual if you had to click a button).  IF your system is working, leave it alone.  When there is a critical or required updates, NG will push it with no action on your part.  All others are at your own risk.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try this, download the v2.5.1.8 FW files for the RBS and RBR to your PC. While the RBS is online and connected, log into it's web page and manually send the RBS FW file to it. Then send the RBR file to the RBR. After the RBS is online press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Turn the RBS off after it starts blinking WHITE. 

Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT and ALL other LAN devices accept for the 1 wired PC. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON. Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard. Skip adding the RBS for now. Get the RBR setup alone. Reconnect the RBR to the ISP modem and check the status and internet access. Does the RBR keep rebooting?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@RussFogg wrote:

Hi,

Any advice pls guys?

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The answer is here Message 3 of 6 while reverting the FW.,  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos