Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi VPN Windows client connects but cannot access internet

ssg99si
Follower

Orbi VPN Windows client connects but cannot access internet

I have got my Orbi VPN set up and able to connect however when I connected I wasn't able to get my browser to show the VPN IP. I have enabled "Clients will use this VPN connection to access" to "All sites on the Internet and Home Network." I found that here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/VPN-works-but-public-IP-doesnt-seem-tunneled-through-RBK50/td-...

But just like that user, I am now unable to access any sites in my browser when connected to VPN. There are no other routers/gateways on my network. I am getting the following errors on my OpenVPN client:

Tue Jun 29 16:15:21 2021 WARNING: Compression for receiving enabled. Compression has been used in the past to break encryption. Sent packets are not compressed unless "allow-compression yes" is also set.
Tue Jun 29 16:15:21 2021 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'AES-128-CBC' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'AES-128-CBC' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'AES-128-CBC' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'AES-128-CBC' to silence this warning.
Tue Jun 29 16:15:22 2021 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Tue Jun 29 16:15:24 2021 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options
Tue Jun 29 16:15:24 2021 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 192.168.1.0
Tue Jun 29 16:15:29 2021 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi VPN Windows client connects but cannot access internet

@ssg99si wrote:

I have got my Orbi VPN set up and able to connect however when I connected I wasn't able to get my browser to show the VPN IP. I have enabled "Clients will use this VPN connection to access" to "All sites on the Internet and Home Network."

The problem may be related to attempting to do something that a web browser is not equipped to do.

My Orbi OpenVPN is set up the same way: Access "All sites on the Internet and Home Network."  I disconnected my smartphone from the Orbi to use LTE and created a Hot Spot.  Connected a laptop to the Hot Spot and got an IP of 192.168.43.172 from the smartphone.  Opened VPN connection on the laptop to the Orbi and got the expected 192.168.2.2 IP address from the Orbi.  Verified the connection on the Orbi web interface Attached Devices page.  Now the fun begins...

Accessed the Orbi web interface from the Laptop over VPN. Works.

Accessed web sites from the Laptop over VPN.  Works.

Accessed some of the "What's my IP address?" web sites and found several that reported the public IP address of the Orbi router.

(I did find a couple that reported only the IPv6 address or hid the IPv4 address in small type.)

So, in my case OpenVPN worked and let me access both the Orbi router (Home Network) and also the Internet (those web sites, plus others).

I did not learn (a) the IP address that the Hot Spot provided, nor (b) the IP address that the VPN provided from a web browser.  I used the ifconfig command (Linux) which is equivalent to the ipconfig command in Windows.  I am not aware of a method that can be used to have a web browser report the IP address of the computer itself.  (If - and only if - the computer is directly connected to an internet modem will one of the typical "What's?" web sites report that the computer has the public IP address.  Otherwise, they will report the IP address assigned to the router.)

Perhaps I have misunderstood the problem and gone off on a tangent.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7