Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi VPN private server and IP address on host and client network

stevelk9999
Tutor

Orbi VPN private server and IP address on host and client network

So far, I am really pleased with how well the ORBI vpn works.  It was easy to set up and I can now access my remote network pretty easily.  I will be adding a second router at other site so so I can access House A from House B and vice versa.

Since I am using 2 ORBI routers,  I was wondering how the LAN subnets.  

The default on the existing orbis are 192.168.1.1

Can I change the second one to 192.168.69.1?

Or must the first 3 be totally seperate like

193.169. 69.1

And if I swap modems, presumably the connected devices ( except those with fixed IP) will change?

thanks

steve

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi VPN private server and IP address on host and client network

Yes you can change the 3rd octet. Just so long as it does not conflict with any other devices that use that same IP address. The LAN IP address doesn't change after a modem change, unless the modem has a built in router already and could have the same IP address is the Orbi default, 192.168.1.1, then the Orbi may change to something else to avoid the conflict. 

@stevelk9999 wrote:

So far, I am really pleased with how well the ORBI vpn works.  It was easy to set up and I can now access my remote network pretty easily.  I will be adding a second router at other site so so I can access House A from House B and vice versa.

Since I am using 2 ORBI routers,  I was wondering how the LAN subnets.  

The default on the existing orbis are 192.168.1.1

Can I change the second one to 192.168.69.1?

Or must the first 3 be totally seperate like

193.169. 69.1

And if I swap modems, presumably the connected devices ( except those with fixed IP) will change?

thanks

steve

Message 2 of 3
stevelk9999
Tutor

Re: Orbi VPN private server and IP address on host and client network

Last question:

At main house I have RBR40 with satellite HOUSE A

At secondary house, I have RBR50 with satellite HOUSE B

I have installed OPEN VPN on both of them.  

From House A to House B, I can connect easily via android and from house A to House B wirelessly via my laptop

From House B to House A,   I can connect via android from anywhere.  But I can connect from my secondary house to primary house ( the one with RBR40 router) ONLY via wired connection.

Any suggestions?  I tried using a different TAP. I dont see anything in the error log and the connection icon shows blue.

Any other suggestions?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7