Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Voice RBS40V Region Set for Australia, I'm in US

jescott3
Guide

Orbi Voice RBS40V Region Set for Australia, I'm in US

I bought an Orbi Voice this week from the Netgear Store on Amazon. It was easy to set it up to work with my RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites. I purchased it to provide a LAN connection via ethernet for my HDHomeRun Scribe Duo and to a new smart TV, and it does that perfectly. I did not want the speaker or the Alexa/Amazon voice stuff, so I didn't activate it. Great price for a new Orbi satellite, though. (The Voice still started telling me at 6:15 this morning to remember to activate the Alexa, etc., even though I had turned off the speakers/microphones with red x-es last night. Bugger!) Tell me which wires to clip or disconnect inside!@#$%$@

In going over the Orbi app on my iPad mini and my iMac, I discovered that the Voice's firmware was in need of an update. Automatic updates started, ran for a while and failed ... many times. I decided to do a manual update, found and downloaded the RBS40V-V2.6.1.4_1.0.1.chk, then (not very intuitively) uploaded it to the Orbi firmware update. After many starts and failures ... and very slow responses to "continue" clicks ... I finally got the message that the update failed because it couldn't find the right server.

What????? I dove into the Orbi app and clicked on details for the Orbi Voice at its 192.168.1.xxx address on my LAN and discovered the Voice was set for the Australia region, and not the US. Was that why the updater couldn't find the right server? I did some more searching for answers, then went back to the Orbi Voice address on my LAN and discovered that the region was still Australia, but that the firmware had been update to the latest version.

What the heck is going on here? Is the region a problem? Is there a way to reset the region to the US? Help!?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi Voice RBS40V Region Set for Australia, I'm in US

I would first factory reset the Orbi Voice. Then re-install it. After you reinstall it, go to Orbilogin.com > Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual update and manually update the RBS40V, using the latest firmware you find here:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V/RBS40V-V2.6.1.4_1.0.1.zip

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

I would first factory reset the Orbi Voice. Then re-install it. After you reinstall it, go to Orbilogin.com > Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual update and manually update the RBS40V, using the latest firmware you find here:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V/RBS40V-V2.6.1.4_1.0.1.zip

Message 2 of 4
jescott3
Guide

Thanks, your suggestion worked. I already had managed to get the latest firmware update installed on the Orbi Voice, but it was still showing as the Australian version. Your suggestion worked because even though it reinstalled the firmware update, it quietly removed the Australian reference which meant my Orbi Voice is now seen as the U.S. version. Netgear's firmware moves in spooky and mysterious ways.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check out the Orbi with Voice forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7