Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WIFI keeps dropping out???

Tcrus
Luminary

Orbi WIFI keeps dropping out???

I have had my ORBI (base sat+2 sats) system 6 months and it ran so smooth. Now I am experiencing WIFI drops multiple times a day. My firmware is up to date. Anyone else having this problem? There is a beta firmware that may help? ANy suggestions would be great.

Cruz

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 39
Snorky
Star

I am having this exact problem.

Message 2 of 39
waynepp
Guide

Exact same issues, 6 months of solid wifi and now wifi is spotty and router resets itself daily.

Message 3 of 39
KitR
Initiate

Same story here: Orbi has been working flawlessly for 6 months, but now the satellite loses connection repeatedly. Reading the forum suggests this is due to the firmware "upgrade" to 2.0.0.74, and that the satellite now needs to be closer to the router. Sloppy work Netgear.

Message 4 of 39
Tcrus
Luminary

Maybe we can get an update to a new firmware where this doesnt happen. Not acceptable the way it is now!

Message 5 of 39
waynepp
Guide

Reset again. I'm going to bump this thread every time my router resets until Netgear acknowledges that there is a problem. Logs are pointless because it doesn't save the previous log after a reboot. Here is the beginning of the new log.

Again, Orbi worked fine until the 2.0.0.74 update.

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.0.0.74]
Message 6 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@waynepp wrote:

Again, Orbi worked fine until the 2.0.0.74 update.

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.0.0.74]

And for many others, Orbi didn't work at all from 1.10 until 2.0.x.

Message 7 of 39
waynepp
Guide

How is your reply helpful? The firmware is 2.x now, I’m not saying revert it but fix it forward.
Message 8 of 39
Orbicustomer
Initiate

My ORBI was great for several months and has just gone to hell over the last few days.  Reading this thread seems to indicate that the latest update created some major problems.  I have to reset my modem and ORBI frequently and it still often stops working.

Message 9 of 39
Akolite
Tutor

I got simlar issues. Router reboots every 4 to 6 hours roughly. Its 3 days old...

Message 10 of 39
Chazsml
Initiate

Same issue.  I am all Mac and IOS.  I replaced  Eero  with Orbi because Eero was dropping, they acknowledged they had Mac and IOS problems but never could fix.  After 2 months of wrestling I threw in the towel for Orbi  ( The Best )  Only to find having same issue.  Stays up for a while then hangs  reboots, Magenta light etc.  So frustrated.  2 calls with support  changing channels  turning on implicit mode etc.  Doesnt seem to work.  Tech advised may need to swa hardware which franklly  doesn't seem to make sense.  There is an underlying problem  with these mesh systems in my opinion. If no solution  I will return.  Hoping  there are answers coming on this forum.  

Message 11 of 39
Orbicustomer
Initiate

My ORBI is working fine now during Monday business hours.  Is there another neighborhood ORBI user that affects my system?  I don’t know, but I’m far from other homes.

Message 12 of 39
Oliverpool
Guide

Orbi is totally unreliable FULL STOP.  They do not even allow you to stay on a older version as the router keeps insisting to upgrade to the lastest without asking for your permission! 

Message 13 of 39
peterts
Tutor

same issue as everyone else. router worked for 2 months now constant wifi drops using ethernet backhaul can't get it to sync wirelesly anymore

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 14 of 39
waynepp
Guide

Update to the new firmware ( V2.1.2.18 ).  Since the drops have not been reliability reproducible, I've been waiting for post an update until I've had a few weeks with it. I believe it's fixed the problem, at least for me.

Also, one of the helpful netgear support members gave me a beta version a couple month ago for testing (so shout out to them).

Message 15 of 39
linkwrt
Guide

Why is dropping out connection? Simple.

Don't use router near microwave or other devices that can disturb wireless.

I don't use router near cable TV, or tv for example.

Message 16 of 39
Tcrus
Luminary

After updating the firmware it is working well. I am having to reset my router every 5 days or so but it's way better than before

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 17 of 39
icemancast
Aspirant

Same thing happens to mine. All mac os products wondering if I should switch to Airport.

Message 18 of 39
KitR
Initiate

Since the firmware update to 2.1.2.18 my dropouts have mostly disappeared, so I’m happy. The only dropouts now seem to happen when somebody stands in front of the satellite for more than a few seconds. I’d mount it higher if I could but that’s not practical for me. When it was being more of a pain I found that adjusting the positions of the base station and satellite, even by a few centimeters improved reliability.

Message 19 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disabled Beamforming, MIMO or Daisy Chain features and tested to see if disconnections still happen? 

All wireless devices i have are working well with this configuration. Mac Book and iPhones, 3 cameras and 2 NEST controllers. 

@KitRwrote:

Since the firmware update to 2.1.2.18 my dropouts have mostly disappeared, so I’m happy. The only dropouts now seem to happen when somebody stands in front of the satellite for more than a few seconds. I’d mount it higher if I could but that’s not practical for me. When it was being more of a pain I found that adjusting the positions of the base station and satellite, even by a few centimeters improved reliability.

Message 20 of 39
naerok
Apprentice

this is a known issue documented in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/m-p/1503034#M23257

good luck - so far the only solution seems to be putting a smart outlet / timer on your satellite(s) to reboot them once every 24 hours (I'm not joking) or rolling back the firmware (but I still see people saying they experience the same issues on the older firmware)

see this guy: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1512445#M24230

Don't listen to the netgear shills on these forums that blame the user and give you the same bs about trying to disable beamforming/mimo or moving the satellites closer to the router.  Waste of time until netgear releases a fix.

Message 21 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a troubleshooting step is all. The features are there and enabled by default. Thats fine. I agree, the systems should work. However there are many factors in wifi that can cause problems. If NG didn't want them disabled then they wouldn't have put in end user check boxes to disable them. There there for a reason. And users can at any time re-enabled the features after testing them disabled. Some have mentioned that it's helped with there problems. 

Thanks. 

@Case850wrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

Have you disabled Beamforming, MIMO or Daisy Chain features and tested to see if disconnections still happen? 

All wireless devices i have are working well with this configuration. Mac Book and iPhones, 3 cameras and 2 NEST controllers. 

@FURRYe38

What is the point of buying these Orbi routers if your continued advice is to "disable Beamforming, MIMO or Daisy Chain"?

This is like telling a person with a Smart Phone they can only make calls and TXT. If that is the case then just buy an old fashion dumb phone.

Message 22 of 39
Tcrus
Luminary

Well my ORBI was working for a few months now I am back to dropping connections multiple times a day. Any new fixes? This is getting frustrating..............

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 23 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using?

What channels are you using? Auto or manual?

Any wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many?

@Tcrus wrote:

Well my ORBI was working for a few months now I am back to dropping connections multiple times a day. Any new fixes? This is getting frustrating..............

Message 24 of 39
thevans4
Aspirant

Using Orbi Mesh system router RBK23 for 4 days now. Granted the setup is faster than the old mac extreme system I had throughout the house. But it continually drops signal. So much so my security cameras ar enot even picking everythng up because they continually have to reboot.

I spent 3 hours with tech support- India- they knew nothing how to help.

I can't access http://www.routerlogin.net - to change anything. The remote management on my iphone can't access. Seems like this is a ongoing problem- NET GEAR do somethng about it. Any advise from other users is appreciated. When you ditched the Orbi what did you replace it with?

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7