Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - Wave 2

Marktwain
Follower

Orbi - Wave 2

Is the Orbi/Satellite combinatation package a wave 2 router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Re: Orbi - Wave 2

@Marktwain wrote:

Is the Orbi/Satellite combinatation package a wave 2 router?

if you are referring to wireless AC wave 3 then the answer is yes as it has both beamforming and mu-mimo

its wifi specs are

client useable

5 gig = 867M

2.4gig = 400M

device backhaul ( only used to connect router to sat/s )

5 gig = 1733M

the definition o wireless AC wave 2 is

The 802.11ac -2013 update, or 802.11ac Wave 2, is an addendum to the original 802.11 acwireless specification that utilizes MU-MIMO technology and other advancements to help increase theoretical maximum wireless speeds from 3.47 Gbps in the original spec to 6.93 Gbps in 802.11ac Wave 2.

The original 802.11ac spec itself served as a performance boost over the 802.11n specification that preceded it, increasing wireless speeds by up to 3x. As with the initial specification, 802.11ac Wave 2, or 802.11ac Wave2, also provides backwards compatibility with previous 802.11 specs, including 802.11n.

Message 2 of 6

Question, if the backhaul is 5 GB 1733 should the satellite be showing in the Netgear Genie as having a connection to the main router of only 100 MBPS?  I assume since it is excluse to 5GB 1733 then the genie should be showing a connection speed higher than 100 MBPS.   For instance my iPhone 7 shows a connection of 800+ to the main router.    Why only 100 for the Satellite?

Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Irishbrowncoat 

It could be with band steering that the satellite is putting the phone on the 2.4 ghz or its staying connected to the main router on the 2.4ghz when connected far away.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6

Another question.  If Orbi is wave 3 (2) AC then does explicit beamforming become the de facto standard (as wave 3/2 intends) thus eliminating the need to enable implicit beamforming (the older AC tech).

I see everyone talking about the unstable performance of implicit (devices disconnecting or dropping signals especially IOT) but insisting they need to turn it on to enjoy the benefit of the AC range?  I understood the new wave of AC routers now followed the newer protocol of explicit beamforming. 

Wave 3 and it's use of explicit beamforming was a direct response to eliminate the unstable behaviour and lack of standard in the implicit?  

Does anyone one know the answer to this?

Message 5 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Irishbrowncoat

Orbi currently does not support Wave 3 features. 

DarrenM

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7