Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi: We really need separate SSID for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz or speed is limited to less than 200 Mbp

khad
Apprentice

Re: Orbi: We really need separate SSID for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz or speed is limited to less than 200 Mbp

@Retired_Member,

If you follow the steps I provided in this other thread, you can create separate SSIDs for your 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz networks. At the very least that will allow you to troubleshoot your issue and see if it is related to that or not. I don't suspect it is, but if you're technically inclined, it's easy enough to try and revert if it doesn't help:

How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Message 76 of 85
aksme
Aspirant

Hello all,

I have the Orbi bundle from Costco and have found that the single SSID approach is not working with half of the devices I have at home.

The newer devices (laptops and phones) connect just fine and I have great coverage.

However, some of the my older laptops when trying to connect are just returning an error "cannot connect to this network".  This is after providing the correct password.

Does anyone know if there is a way (for the layman) around this without having to buy new laptops?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 77 of 85
st_shaw
Master

Search for a post on here by @khadkhad that describes how to create separate SSIDs for each band.

Message 78 of 85
khad
Apprentice

@st_shaw is spot on. I wrote up a post that describes How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi.

Message 79 of 85
Moh_V
Aspirant

The actual problem seems to be with the speed supported in 5g itself. I turned off 2g and only enabled 5g. My samsung edge device could only reach low 90mbps for both upload and download. If i directly connect to my verizon gigbit router then i can go up to 300+ mbps. I also know for sure that i did turn off 2g in orbi because some of the low end devices couldnt even see/pickup tge orbi ssid.
If there is no way to increase speed beyond 300+ mbps in orbi 5g then $400 is not worth it.
Message 80 of 85
st_shaw
Master

You need a high-end very capable WiFi device to get top speed.  I get an average of 470 Mbps with an iPhone 7+ when connected to the Orbi router, and 380 Mbps when connected to the satellite. That's about as good as it's going to get.

Message 81 of 85
Moh_V
Aspirant

The same edge+ device that can reach 300+ mbps with verizon router directly, can only reach 92 mpbs approx going thru orbi. That to me sounds like an issue with orbi, unless there is some other configuration further hidden in orbi. Isn't it?
Message 82 of 85
st_shaw
Master

@Moh_V It wasn't clear from what you wrote. If you can get 300 Mbps on that phone with the Verizon router then you should do better than 92 Mbs with Orbi. Something must be wrong.  I have a couple questions:

1. Is your verizon rotuer's WiFi still active? You should turn it OFF.

2. Is Orbi in Access Point mode?  You should put Orbi in Access Point mode if you are still using your Verizon router.

3. You said you disabled 2 GHz.  How exactly did you do that? The latest Orbi firmware does not allow disabling bands.

4. Check your cabling and connections to make sure Orbi is connected through to your router using gigabit hardware and cat5e or better cables.  A speed limit of 92 Mbs sounds like Orbi could be limited by a 100 Mbps LAN connection somewhere.

5. What do you get for a speed test if you wire a computer to the Orbi router?

Message 83 of 85
khad
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

4. Check your cabling and connections to make sure Orbi is connected through to your router using gigabit hardware and cat5e or better cables.  A speed limit of 92 Mbs sounds like Orbi could be limited by a 100 Mbps LAN connection somewhere.

If you're taking bets, my money is on #4.

Message 84 of 85
Moh_V
Aspirant

Ok thank you. The issue was with cable. I replaced it and im getting similar speeds.
Message 85 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7