Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router(RBR50v2)

JulioJJ
Aspirant

Orbi Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router(RBR50v2)

Ok. Looked at what everyone has done and troubleshooting not working for fix. I have a router in garage that shoots out to my office (separate house on property)  and that one is working in office but only barely in house and have a broken older NEtgear router I am replacing with the Orbi inside the house. It is hard wired from garage router under house to famliy room and has worked great for years until router died this week. Bought the Orbi Mesh but only starting with replacing the one in the house as I am afraid I won't have anything if I replace that one as well. Power cycled- no go. Connected ethernet cable and didn't work.  Then I updated router firware and now I can connect with ethernet cable from computer to router but when I disconnect I can't get the Wifi from one room over.  Went through the chats and not finding this problem and frustrated. I just bought this and got yesterday and was suppose to be easy per all the reviews. Don't really have time for this and hoping someone else has expereinced this problem. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router(RBR50v2)

An update here- ISSUES RESOLVED!!

I experienced bar none the BEST customer support I have EVER received in 20 years in tech with Deepak Verma. I was ready to send back my ORBI router and satellite today after attempting to use online support and more then 8 hours to no avail and total frustration (although they tried) .I decided on one last attempt to talk to a real person. I called 800 number and got Deepak Verma and he exceeded my expectations as our system is not simple but quite complicated and clearly four hours to resolve makes it obvious. He remained calm, beyond patient and kind throughout the almost four hours of troubleshooting and set up and told me I would have a smile when we were done. This man is a saint and never once lost his cool and I certainly would have if had been me. I can't express my gratitude to the best customer service I have EVER received. I will certainly recommend to any and all peers, clients and friends and so grateful to be up and running and am definitely smiling from ear to ear. I give him 20 stars out of 10 being the best as he far exceeded any experience I have ever had attempting tech support. He deserves a raise and a promotion as if all were like Deepak we would all be smiling and not frustrated as we typically are with tech support. Thank you Deepak! You are a star and can't believe you fixed my problems and beyond professional. There are not words to express my gratitude!!!!  File closed and problems resolved!!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you make a simple pencil drawing, scan or take a picture and attach?

I don't want to make false assumptions, with terms like "shoot out" and am thinking there are two routers already?

Do both of these have WiFi as well?

Message 2 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Sorry- it is kind of confusing and I'm clearly not doing a good of describing. Yes there are two routers. The one in garage comes off my ISP dish from roof. The second one they hard wired the system into family room  because couldn't get a decent cell signal in house. Both are Wifi. The one in garage working and that is the one I use in 2nd house to connect as we live in the country and large property and have a great signal on laptop in 2nd house always. Since house was weak signal they ran wire under the house and connected second router in family room. This is the one I am replacing although I bought two because they are older and thought I would hook them both up but doing one at  a time.  My tech friend recommended and reviews were good and he said much better and faster then what have currently.

Message 3 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Here's an actual photo that may help. Thank you- much appreciate the help.

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  This is very clear.  Can you please let us know:

The make and model number(s) of the two routers.

What is the connection from the dish to the first router?  (coax from the dish?  ethernet from a box connected to the dish?)

How is the main house router connected to the first router?  (ethernet cable? or, it is also connected somehow to the dish?)

Your friend is correct, most of the time installing an Orbi router in the garage and an Orbi satellite at the far end of the house, connected by an ethernet cable should provide excellent coverage and "seamless WiFi")  Orbi has only an ethernet connector for Wide Area Network (WAN), so it expects to get an ethernet feed from the ISP.  For most of us, this is a cable modem.  (for some, a fiber box).  Alas, I do not recall anyone mentioning how they connect to satellite.

Message 5 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Thought I posted but don't see it so reposting. Thank God I saved in word. Thank you for your help. Created a PDF as maybe it will help and added text for more info as visuals help I know for me. 

The make and model number(s) of the two routers.

JJ- Both OLD routers are NetGear N600 Wireless Dual Band Routers WNDR3400v3. The one in garage still working and have the new Orbi RBR50v2 in main house aka 2nd router trying to make work

What is the connection from the dish to the first router? 

JJ- there is ethernet that goes to a black box (picture 2)  and then connects from there to the dish on top of house. 

How is the main house router connected to the first router? 

JJ- The first router is the garage router so same quesiton I believe . Then we have cable running underhouse connecting second router  the one I can't get to work (picture3)

Your friend is correct, most of the time installing an Orbi router in the garage and an Orbi satellite at the far end of the house, connected by an ethernet cable should provide excellent coverage and "seamless WiFi") 

JJ- so we don't have this set up yet with Orbi. Have the two Old NetGear routers we have had for while and have always worked great until it died. The one in the main house family room (see pic 3) is the 2nd router I am trying to hook up as old one not working anymore. I bought the two pack of Orbi RBR50v2 thinking I would update both. Was hoping for plug and play but nothing out here in the country is simple.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks again. Makes me crazy when I can't figure this stuff out. 

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Yes, one wonders what those two ethernet cables are going to.  My guess is if you unplug them,"something" will cease to work.

The recommended solution is to:

• Replace the unit in the garage with the Orbi RBR50 router.
    The yellow (faded orange?) cable goes from the satellite box to the Orbi WAN (yellow) port.
  • Before doing anything else, test that the Orbi functions and you can set it up before doing anything else.
    The "ring light" on the top of the Orbi goes through a definite sequence during startup:
    https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 
    I recommend giving it the exact same WiFi name and password as the unit in the garage has.
    If anything goes wrong, you can always swap back.
  • Test that the WiFi in the office is working.
    The Orbi radio is stronger than the N600, so it certainly should be OK.
  • Plug the RBS50 satellite directly into the router with an ethernet patch cable.
    From one of the Orbi LAN ports to any one of the satellite ports.
    It should go through the correct color sequence and eventually the Orbi "Attached Devices" page should show the satellite connection as "wired".
  • Once the satellite is working correctly, move it to the other side of the house and replace the other Netgear N600.
  • The satellite automatically has the same WiFi name and password as the Orbi router.
    So, if your two N600's had different WiFi names and passwords, you have to reconnect the devices that are no longer connecting because of the WiFi name change.
  • I would probably connect those two strange ethernet cables to the Orbi router "just in case", although at some point I would want to trace the cables and see what those devices are.
  • If you had customized the IP settings on the N600's, you will have to do something similar on the Orbi.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Message 7 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Thank you. 

Question here- Plug the RBS50 satellite directly into the router with an ethernet patch cable.

The only option I have is same set up plugging into black box. There is an ethernet cable coming out of old router to that black box. Is that what you are referring to?  Sorry as I am not all that techie so have to ask a lot of questions to figure out. I don't know the difference betwen and ethernet cable and an ethernet patch cable- are they the same thing?  Another stupid question- when you say satellite is this the one I plug in the garage as main one? In my small brain I thought I was buying two of the same on Amazon as my old Netgear are the same routers but I see satellite tag on the one I haven't hooked up yet. 

I am running out but will do as you say and report back. I suppose I need to log on and update firmware on other Orbi as well first as the one I am trying to connect was not updated to new firmware. I actually set up system orginally with the NetGear routers myself but didn't have strong enough signal in house so had the 2nd router hardwired but I didn't do it as out of my comfort zone and lack the expertise.   It's not cheap to have someone do this so hoping I can figure out myself. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Message 8 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@JulioJJ wrote:

Thank you. 

Question here- Plug the RBS50 satellite directly into the router with an ethernet patch cable.Yes, the idea is to veryify that the satellite connects and functions by temporariily hooking it up in the garage right next to the router.  So, you need a spare ethernet cable that you have lying around, such as one that connects a computer or printer to the router.  Only needs to be long enough to connect them together.

The only option I have is same set up plugging into black box. There is an ethernet cable coming out of old router to that black box. Is that what you are referring to?  Yes, the Orbi router simply takes the place of the old router in the garage. Sorry as I am not all that techie so have to ask a lot of questions to figure out. I don't know the difference betwen and ethernet cable and an ethernet patch cable- are they the same thing?  Yes, "old timers" called them "patch cables".  Another stupid question- when you say satellite is this the one I plug in the garage as main one? The RBR50 router goes in the garage.  RBS50 is the satellite.  The router is the one with a WAN (yellow) ethernet jack in the back.  The satellite does not have a yellow one. In my small brain I thought I was buying two of the same on Amazon as my old Netgear are the same routers but I see satellite tag on the one I haven't hooked up yet. 

I am running out but will do as you say and report back. I suppose I need to log on and update firmware on other Orbi as well first as the one I am trying to connect was not updated to new firmware. I actually set up system orginally with the NetGear routers myself but didn't have strong enough signal in house so had the 2nd router hardwired but I didn't do it as out of my comfort zone and lack the expertise.   It's not cheap to have someone do this so hoping I can figure out myself. Yes, each Orbi will have been sitting in a warehouse for some time, and thus the firmware may need to be updated.

Thank you for your patience. 

Message 9 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Step one failed- put router in garage. It's showing up in my wifi but doesn't connect. Took ethernet cable to check connection and connected to router out in the garage directly to laptop and working but I can't work from garage. About ready to send these both back as about five hours into this and now have to go back to other router. My old Netgear set up was easy and this sucks but appreciate the help. My tech guy gone for a month and not calling my ISP as they'll charge a fortune to set up. Not sure what to do. Signing off to plug in old router as I need to walk away for awhile.

Message 10 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

An update here- ISSUES RESOLVED!!

I experienced bar none the BEST customer support I have EVER received in 20 years in tech with Deepak Verma. I was ready to send back my ORBI router and satellite today after attempting to use online support and more then 8 hours to no avail and total frustration (although they tried) .I decided on one last attempt to talk to a real person. I called 800 number and got Deepak Verma and he exceeded my expectations as our system is not simple but quite complicated and clearly four hours to resolve makes it obvious. He remained calm, beyond patient and kind throughout the almost four hours of troubleshooting and set up and told me I would have a smile when we were done. This man is a saint and never once lost his cool and I certainly would have if had been me. I can't express my gratitude to the best customer service I have EVER received. I will certainly recommend to any and all peers, clients and friends and so grateful to be up and running and am definitely smiling from ear to ear. I give him 20 stars out of 10 being the best as he far exceeded any experience I have ever had attempting tech support. He deserves a raise and a promotion as if all were like Deepak we would all be smiling and not frustrated as we typically are with tech support. Thank you Deepak! You are a star and can't believe you fixed my problems and beyond professional. There are not words to express my gratitude!!!!  File closed and problems resolved!!

Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

So, this support was from Netgear itself under the "90 days of free telephone support"?

Message 12 of 14
JulioJJ
Aspirant

Yes- I only bought a week ago and realized I need to speak to a person to resolve as nothing was working. Thanks for your help!

Message 13 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JulioJJ , rarely that anyone would rave about NG support on this forum.  Smiley Happy

Would you mind sharing with us what NG support had done to resolve your issues?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7