Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Whole Home WiFI System RBK50

jagjones
Aspirant

Orbi Whole Home WiFI System RBK50

I have an Orbi Whole Hme WiFi System RBK50. No matter how i follow the installation instructs the ORBI network does not appear on my available networks. I have a Hauwei modem and Home Gateway HG630b thing and plugging in the Orbi ethernet cable every conceiveable way only results in no internet across my home and or ORBI not being able to detect my available network. Im ready to throw it in the trash

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Whole Home WiFI System RBK50

The Home Gateway box appears to be a combination WiFi/router, i.e. it is the same thing as an Orbi except is only a single device, whereas the Orbi is designed to be two or more access points that are wirelessly connected to each other.  Is this it?

http://static.telecom.co.nz/digital-content/assets/documents/hg630b-gateway-userguide.pdf 

The most straightforward way to install the Orbi system is to physically remove the Home Gateway and use the Orbi instead.

Power off the modem and HG.

Disconnect the HG from the modem.

Connect the yellow (WAN) ethernet port on the Orbi to the (only) ethernet port on the modem.

Power on the modem and let it sync to the network (usually up to 2-3 minutes).

Power on the Orbi.

From this point, you have choices depending on how you want to configure and administer the Orbi.

• If you do nothing at all, the Orbi should wake up, connect to the modem, receive an internet address and within a couple of minutes a blue light should glow on the "ring" at the top.  The Orbi should be broadcasting the WiFi name that is printed on the bottom label and the WiFi password will also be printed on the label.
  • Most of us on this forum use the Orbi web interface by connecting a computer to one of the Orbi LAN ports and opening a web browser to http://192.168.1.1 and then following the directions.  When it asks you to activate Parental Controls and Bitdefender Armor, I (personally) would say, "not right now" and come back to that LATER (much later).

So, why did they give you a Home Gateway to begin with?  Simple: they had no idea that this particular customer would purchase an Orbi and without the router/WiFi the customer would be annoyed.

Message 2 of 5
jagjones
Aspirant

Thank you, when I'm over my frustration I will try again and the link you sent re the Home Gateway is exactly what I have got.

I went and visted the Telecom dealer before and he said the Huawei modem should be thrown away and the Telecom Home gateway is the thing to keep, but the Huawei modem plugs directly into the Fibre network box with a fancy cable (Optical Cable) so that has to stay.

When I scan for available Networks the Orbi one just doesnt appear. Not sure what to do there...

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The telecom dealer is misinformed. You are entirely correct. Optical cable will not plug into the Home Gateway. (nor the Orbi). I think the Orbi will appear once the HG is gone. 

Message 4 of 5
Liquidcore
Star

It sounds like you have fibre with Spark here in NZ? If that's the case, then the Huawei "modem" you are referring to is an ONT and the HG630b is the router. You have a couple of options - either use the Orbi in AP (access point) mode, so ONT -> HG630b -> Orbi (set in AP mode). Or you can use the Orbi as a router and remove the HG630b out of the equation completely, so ONT -> Orbi (set in router mode).

The PB Tech website has good guides on how to set the Orbi up as a router with the necessary settings you need for a Spark connection: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/NetgearISPSettings#sparkorbi
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7