Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi: Why do I have to factory reset to get Attached Devices to show?

lokimon
Tutor

Orbi: Why do I have to factory reset to get Attached Devices to show?

Firmeware version: V2.5.1.8

For some reason, every month or so, my Orbi loses the ability to show attached devices.

And then it is factory reset time.

Why?  What's going on?

This super sucks as I'm past being able to return this and I'm tired of having to enter the names of all my devices everytime I have to reset.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
lokimon
Tutor

So I didn't end up factory resetting the router.  It just seemed like such a drag to figure out which device was which and reenter names for them.

Saturday and Sunday the attached devices list still said 0 satellites, 0 attached devices.

This morning I was about to bite the bullet and factory reset, but got distracted with something else.

This after I was going back to it, when lo and behold, the attached devices list started working again.

Still on V2.5.1.8

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

V2.5.1.8 is BAD

get rid of it

Message 2 of 9
lokimon
Tutor

What is good?

And is downgrading possible?

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@lokimon wrote:
What is good?

And is downgrading possible?

go to the dowload area and enter your model number

I'm running RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30 since Oct 2019

@lokimon
Message 4 of 9
lokimon
Tutor

So I didn't end up factory resetting the router.  It just seemed like such a drag to figure out which device was which and reenter names for them.

Saturday and Sunday the attached devices list still said 0 satellites, 0 attached devices.

This morning I was about to bite the bullet and factory reset, but got distracted with something else.

This after I was going back to it, when lo and behold, the attached devices list started working again.

Still on V2.5.1.8

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Please do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed in the future.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@lokimon wrote:

Still on V2.5.1.8

Message 6 of 9
lokimon
Tutor

But how would I know if the settings were or were not causing the issues. 🙂

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you hadn't done a reset since last FW update, possible prior residual configurations from last FW version may have become incompatile with newer FW. Sometimes NG makes changes to FW which can cause problems with prior configurations. NG did change the way or how they handle device detection on v2.5.1.8. Sometimes users don't see problems and some do. I tend to reset after each FW update and setup from scratch to avoid problems seen with just applying FW upates and continuing operation. This ensures a good installation of FW and a configuration. I'll then safe off a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@lokimon wrote:

But how would I know if the settings were or were not causing the issues. 🙂

Factory reset is for lost passwords 

encouraging factory resets after updates is making excuses for BAD firmware 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7