Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 (RBK852) - offline network management

JusOnederN
Follower

Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 (RBK852) - offline network management

I want to know if the new Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 (RBK852) will have the ability to manage your network offline when your internet service is down. I own an Eero network and when the internet connection is down, my home network goes down as well. Essentially, all of my devices are disconnect from my home network so I cannot connect to them. This is problematic especially for the nest which controls My air conditioner and the RainMachine which controls my sprinkler system (just to name a few devices).
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Orbi management does not need internet connectivity to perform if you have LAN (wired or wireless) connection to the router.

Your devices should continue to work if -of course- those devices do not require internet connectivity.

I guess that the new Orbi will be the same.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Most NG or other router Mfrs routers support the ability to manage LAN side networks while the WAN side is down. Been like this for a long time. As suggested, if you don't have any devices that depend upon having WAN side internet recourses, ALL LAN side networking will remain up and running as long as the main host router is ON. 

@JusOnederN wrote:
I want to know if the new Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 (RBK852) will have the ability to manage your network offline when your internet service is down. I own an Eero network and when the internet connection is down, my home network goes down as well. Essentially, all of my devices are disconnect from my home network so I cannot connect to them. This is problematic especially for the nest which controls My air conditioner and the RainMachine which controls my sprinkler system (just to name a few devices).

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I am sure you understand that no one has actually received the new product, and the User Manual is not yet available, so anything anybody says on this forum is conjecture.  None of us are Netgear engineers who have anything to do with designing or programming the product.

What we can comment on is the existing Orbi system, which can be administered two ways, (1) using a web browser to connect to the Orbi web interface, and (2) using an Orbi "app", which can connect to the Orbi either directly on the local area network, or remotely through the Netgear "cloud".  The entire Orbi system remains active when the internet connection is down.  So, my guess is: "Yes.  The Orbi can be managed locally even when the internet connection is down."  Also, the local network remains active.  I can print to WiFi printers, copy files from computer to computer, etc.

However, this does not entirely solve your problem.  I have a Nest thermostat.  To do anything to the Nest using the Nest app requires an internet connection.  There is no web interface, no telnet interface, no ssh interface... nothing but the cloud connection.  I do not have a smart pool controller (no pool) so I have no idea how their app works.  So, while the answer is "yes", the end result may not make any difference to the sort of things you are interested in.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@JusOnederN wrote:
 I own an Eero network and when the internet connection is down, my home network goes down as well. Essentially, all of my devices are disconnect from my home network so I cannot connect to them.

Could you please expand a little bit on this.  For example, if you regularly print from a computer (tablet, phone) that is connected to your network to a printer that is also on the network, when the internet goes down you can no longer do this?  Wow!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Most IoT wireless devices use mobile apps and require Internet services to manage them. Seems like Google and Amazon are mostly using this method. There are some that have built in web page services. Amazon Echo devices and NEST isn't of course. Smiley Frustrated I'm having to replace one NEST now.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7