Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK852) AX6000 Ethernet Backhaul

Shane204
Tutor

Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK852) AX6000 Ethernet Backhaul

Does anyone know if the new ORBI WiFi6 System supports Ethernet Backhaul? 

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

It will. 

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Shane204 wrote:

Does anyone know if the new ORBI WiFi6 System supports Ethernet Backhaul? 

I agree with @FURRYe38 .  "Of course" a "newer and better" Orbi will support ethernet backhaul.  It even has one more ethernet port in the router than the RBR50. However, proof will be in the User Manual instructions on how to set it up.

The product data sheet is on Netgear's web site, but not the User Manual (yet)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK852.aspx#docs

Message 3 of 11
Shane204
Tutor

With that being said about Orbi Backhaul support, I had heard there were issues with backhaul on previous Orbi hardware platforms so would it be possible to have the AX6000 in in a primary home and a CAT6 cable to another building with an Add on Satelite such as the RBS50?

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The ethernet back haul issues were resolved with Orbi AC. There are some considerations still with Orbi AC and possibly with AX. Some various kinds of LAN switches don't seem to work well with Orbi systems. Mosly managed switches that have IGMP protocols enabled. This can be mostly resolved by disabling IGMP protocols on the managed switch. 

The other is switches having any kind of "Green Ethernet" features seems to cause ethernet connected RBS to not work well. 

RBS AC versions will probably be compatible with AX though this could induce odd problems. IT will be up to NG to let everyone know if Orbi AC RBS are supported on Orbi AX when it finally comes to market. 

@Shane204 wrote:

With that being said about Orbi Backhaul support, I had heard there were issues with backhaul on previous Orbi hardware platforms so would it be possible to have the AX6000 in in a primary home and a CAT6 cable to another building with an Add on Satelite such as the RBS50?

Message 5 of 11
GeorgeMD1
Aspirant

Yes. But ... Here's my experience.

My modem was connected to a Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switch. So, of course, I connected the router and the satelite to the switch. This did not work.

I then connected my RBR850 Router directly to the Comcast modem, then connected the Router to the Gigabit Switch. My Orbi satelite RBS850 was also connected to the switch. This worked intermitently but kept loosing connection. Very frustrating.

3rd try: RBR850 Router directly connected to the Comcast modem. The RBS850 Satelite connected directly to the RBR850 router, removing the Gigabit switch from between them. (Note, they are about 100 feet apart connected through existing in-wall wiring). I then connected the Router to the gigabit switch in order to connect to the rest of my hardwired network. This seems the most stable. So far, so good.

Having the Ethernet switch between the Router and the modem or even between the Router and the Satellite appears to cause instability. Not sure why. Maybe someone in this community with more network expertise can explain this.

Good luck. 

George

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the MFr and model of the switch?

@GeorgeMD1 wrote:

Yes. But ... Here's my experience.

My modem was connected to a Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switch. So, of course, I connected the router and the satelite to the switch. This did not work.

I then connected my RBR850 Router directly to the Comcast modem, then connected the Router to the Gigabit Switch. My Orbi satelite RBS850 was also connected to the switch. This worked intermitently but kept loosing connection. Very frustrating.

3rd try: RBR850 Router directly connected to the Comcast modem. The RBS850 Satelite connected directly to the RBR850 router, removing the Gigabit switch from between them. (Note, they are about 100 feet apart connected through existing in-wall wiring). I then connected the Router to the gigabit switch in order to connect to the rest of my hardwired network. This seems the most stable. So far, so good.

Having the Ethernet switch between the Router and the modem or even between the Router and the Satellite appears to cause instability. Not sure why. Maybe someone in this community with more network expertise can explain this.

Good luck. 

George

Message 7 of 11
GeorgeMD1
Aspirant

Netgear GS116

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I see a couple of different variances of this switch, there a managed, non managed and POE versions. v1 and v2. 

GS116E is a manged switch. Disable ALL IGMP Protocols on this switch and this would help get the switch working better with Orbi. GS116Ev2 is the same managed switch however it has green ethernet features. May not work well unless this can be disabled as well. 

GS116v1 and v2 is non managed. Doesn't seem to have any Green Ethernet features, while v2 has these features. Green Ethernet features seem to not work well with Orbi systems. 

If you can find GS v1 versions of NG switches, these versions don't seem to have any green ethernet features. Or try a different Mfr. I use D-Link DGS105/8 series and HP pro curve 1400 series switches in between my RBR and RBS. No problems. 

@GeorgeMD1 wrote:

Netgear GS116

Message 9 of 11
GeorgeMD1
Aspirant

Interesting. Thank you for your response.

I’m going to leave it as is for now, with the router and satellite Hardwired together outside the Switched network since it seems to be working well. And I don’t see an advantage of keeping the satellite behind the Netgear Gigaswitch.

Thanks again.
George

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make any future posts over in the Orbi AX forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7