Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 announced: Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK852) AX6000

Stevensa
Tutor

Orbi WiFi 6 announced: Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK852) AX6000

I’m a bit surprised that the dedicated link between satellites has less bandwith than my RBK50.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk852.aspx

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

Uh, I won't be "upgrading" from my RBK53 setup to THIS anytime soon....not at these prices. $699 for the router and one satellite? Insane.

Message 3 of 9
montag451
Aspirant

How can this cost $699? That’s just another level. I’ve been waiting for WiFi 6 mesh but How do you justify spending that kind of money on this?
How do you justify spending that kind of money on this?

Even with the new iPhone 11 supporting Wi-Fi 6 , aside from meeting the most up to date spec, what is the performance gain here, to merit at that price.

I assume there will be more reasonably priced options down the road but I need to replace a malfunctioning AC router, and don’t want to buy WiFi 5 Product that I replace in a year. Ahhh
Message 4 of 9
DudeDad
Apprentice

From the little that's out on this item, the "sell" is that you only need the router and one satellite for full home coverage.  Initial prices are always skyhigh.  I'm sure it will come down somewhat, but they also don't want to cannibalize their other product line.  Eventually, they will replace the others.  It's the cost of being an early adopter.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Stevensa wrote:

I’m a bit surprised that the dedicated link between satellites has less bandwith than my RBK50.

What does bring up this impression?

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@Stevensa wrote:

What does bring up this impression?

Comparing the "Tech Specs" for WiFi6 Orbi and RBR50, this impression is incorrect.  Every "maximum speed" is higher on the WiFi6 Orbi, although few users are likely to achieve these speeds, even with AX compatible devices.

TechSpec.PNG

Message 7 of 9

It looks pretty ugly compared to the all white Netgear Orbi RBR50, seriously Black + White + Grey? it looks like an ash tray. Netgear should have kept the same color scheme as the previous RBR50 or should have gone with solid colors (all black, all white, all gold, all pink, etc). 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, others complained that the Orbi AC looked ugly. Seems that NG can't seem to satisfy everyone. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7