Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi 6 at IFA 2019 - 2nd Gen Mesh WiFi Is Here!

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orbi WiFi 6 at IFA 2019 - 2nd Gen Mesh WiFi Is Here!

Orbi-RBR850-Lifestyle-1.jpg

Announced at IFA 2019 in Berlin, NETGEAR Orbi WiFi 6 Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi System is the next evolution in Mesh WiFi. As the only Tri-Band WiFi System built with the latest and fastest WiFi 6 technology, the latest Orbi WiFi System is designed to provide the ultimate smart home experience with WiFi and connection capacity.

Orbi’s award-winning technology provides the ultimate in WiFi coverage and speed, giving you better WiFi throughout your home. Using the latest WiFi standard, this WiFi 6 edition of Orbi will benefit homes looking for strong WiFi connections in every room, all the time. WiFi 6 technology will upgrade your experience by providing enough bandwidth for your automated smart home and all of its devices. With 4X increased capacity and improved performance, this means you will be able to have multiple 4K/8K UHD streams and online gaming without any interruptions.

For the home with a Gigabit Internet service plan, it gets even better. Orbi WiFi 6 will provide blazing fast WiFi speeds to all of your devices, giving you Gigabit speeds all throughout your home. Also, with more available WiFi streams, your network will have more available bandwidth and less congestion.

To learn more about the latest addition to the Orbi WiFi Family, please click here.

Photo Sep 08, 12 53 10.jpg

Message 1 of 28
TNMEM
Initiate

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 at IFA 2019 - 2nd Gen Mesh WiFi Is Here!

$699.99?!!?!!

Message 2 of 28
computersteve
Apprentice

For that price it should sing a song when I power it up !!! No but seriously only two devices for $700.... I mean it should have at least two satelites or an outdoor orbi included at that ridiculous price. 

Message 3 of 28
tagteam
Virtuoso

Costco still sells the RBK53 (router plus 2 satellites) for $400. That seems like a bargain compared to $700 for a router and one satellite with, seemingly, the ONLY difference being WiFi 6 which is useless without client devices that support it (and of which I own ZERO).

Message 4 of 28
theBrick89
Star

A bit confused after I read specs on the product page. Seems like it has slower link speek on 5GHz backhaul in between the router and the satelite (1,200Mbps) compare to what RBK50 has (1,733Mbps). I wonder how this would affect the total stability and bandwidth of the backhaul

Message 5 of 28
ekhalil
Master

@theBrick89 wrote:

A bit confused after I read specs on the product page. Seems like it has slower link speek on 5GHz backhaul in between the router and the satelite (1,200Mbps) compare to what RBK50 has (1,733Mbps). I wonder how this would affect the total stability and bandwidth of the backhaul

The wireless backhaul in RBK852 is 2.4 Gbps (4x4:4 / 80MHz 802.11ax) compared to 1.73 Gbps in the RBK50.

Message 6 of 28
windansea
Tutor

Will it be possible to use the existing RBS50Y outdoor satellite with the new WiFi 6 system? I understand that any non-6 satellite wouldn't offer Wi-Fi 6 speeds. In other words, will be possible to mix nodes from the current generation and this new one?

Message 7 of 28
ekhalil
Master

@windansea wrote:

Will it be possible to use the existing RBS50Y outdoor satellite with the new WiFi 6 system? I understand that any non-6 satellite wouldn't offer Wi-Fi 6 speeds. In other words, will be possible to mix nodes from the current generation and this new one?

Wifi 6 is backward compatible, and Orbi's backhaul structure will not be changed according to the available information, so I guess that it should be possible to re-use the current generation's Orbi's Satellites with the new Orbi AX.

Message 8 of 28
Stevensa
Tutor

Good to know this will be compatible with my current satellites (e.g. RBW30, RBS50).

Message 9 of 28
tagteam
Virtuoso

Why would anyone care about compatibility with older satellites? Just curious because it seems like a waste unless you can get a lot of WiFi6 coverage out of the router alone - assuming NG is even planning to sell the new router without a satellite (or two).

Message 10 of 28
ekhalil
Master

@tagteam wrote:

Why would anyone care about compatibility with older satellites? Just curious because it seems like a waste unless you can get a lot of WiFi6 coverage out of the router alone - assuming NG is even planning to sell the new router without a satellite (or two).

Wifi 6 devices (AX) will be able to work with AC routers, so instead of throwing your old Satellites you can reuse them in areas where you can live with AC functionality/speed. I think that it’s so smart from Netgear if the old Orbi AC satellites will be possible to add to the new Orbi AX router. 

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 28

Replying to @tagteam ,

I had the same question as well . as I own a RBR50, and satellites RBW30, RBS50.

I know the 30 is only half the speed of the 50 but it used at the patio only for a few pool pals that happen by, so it's not like I'm streaming

tons of stuff there.

The RBR50 is at one end of house the RBS50 at opposite end and RBW30 is undercover porch in rear... works great.

But it would be nice to get the WiFi 6 to replace the RBR and RBS50 just for the brunt of the data streams that it gets, as majority of the Wireless devices connect to in the house, as in camera's, iPads, laptops, smart phones, DVD players, Roku etc. Then chuck the RBR50 RBW30 on eBay..

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 28
TOK2000
Aspirant

When will Netgear have Wifi 6 USB adapters to match all the new Wifi 6 routers/Orbi?

Message 14 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

When they become available. NG doesn't post when new stuff hits until they are ready. Keep an eye on there product pages. 

Message 15 of 28
Tangmu
Star

What's the difference between the AX5700 and AX6000?

Message 16 of 28
GazaJimbo
Initiate

When will the Orbi WiFi 6 system become available in Australia?
Though, given the US pricing, I think Netgear will be directing WiFi 6 customers to the opposition.

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

About 300Mbps connection rate on 2.4Ghz, between the RBK842 adn the 852 is all:

Orbi AX6000 Router and AX6000 Satellite
(1200 + 2400 + 2400Mbps)†

AX5700 Router and AX5700 Satellite
(900 + 2400 + 2400Mbps)†

@Tangmu wrote:

What's the difference between the AX5700 and AX6000?

Message 18 of 28
windansea
Tutor

FYI: I got the AX6000 (RBK850) and am unable to connect an RBS50 to it. I spoke w/Netgear customer service. They tell me that currently the RBS50 can't be connected to an RBK850, but that engineering hopes this will be possible in the future. No estimated date currently.

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, this is known already. Some have connected RBS50s via ethernet and they work then. Just not wirelessly. NG says future FW updates should make them wirelessly compatible. Keep an eye out on release notes. 

Message 20 of 28
Chuck_M
Mentor

It@windansea wrote:

FYI: I got the AX6000 (RBK850) and am unable to connect an RBS50 to it. I spoke w/Netgear customer service. They tell me that currently the RBS50 can't be connected to an RBK850, but that engineering hopes this will be possible in the future. No estimated date currently.

It CAN connect to RBS-50 if you have it wired directly via ethernet to the RBR850.  I use two of them until the single RBS850s are available 01 March.

The RBS50s do not have AX functionality in any case.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru
Knitman
Aspirant

It costs thwe same in GBP here which is a ripo off. I have noticxed many companioes do this. Not giving UK custmers the echange rate price but just changing the currency ands not the figure,

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I got an email from NG marketing today saying there 7 series Orbi AX is going for $450. 

Message 24 of 28
Cgeorgia
Aspirant

Can a Linksys Max Stream range extender Model RE 9000 connect to an Orbi 6 being used as a router?

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7