Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 - Coverage and Placement

CHOCHE
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 - Coverage and Placement

I have been reading up on the Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000, before I make a final decision to purchase it. 

My question is, I have an older house, recently renovated, 2000 sq ft, one floor only, the house it prety much shaped like a square and the internet connection is in the office/study room that happend to be on the front corner of the house. I have trouble maintaining a strong connection toward the opposite sides of the house. 

I understand that in order to get the best signal strength everywhere, the router should be placed in the middle of the house. I cant relocate the internet connection, so what would my best option be? Would it be to get the Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 with the estimated 5000 sq ft coverage or do I need to buy something that has more satellites to make it back to the study?

Its become a pain because I do have quite a few smart home networked devices requiring a strong signal and bandwidth.

PS I have AT&T Fiber at the house.  

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 3
CHOCHE
Aspirant

Re: Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 - Coverage and Placement

Or would a better option be the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System - WiFi router and 2 satellite extenders with speeds up to 2.2 Gbps over 6,000 sq. feet, AC2200 (RBK23) ? So I can daisy chain around thicker older walls...
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 - Coverage and Placement

The 50 series will be plenty to support a 2000sq ft home. if you place the base router at one end and the satellite at the other end, 30 feet starting in between, you should have great coverage and performance over the entire foot print of the home. I have a 40 series system, just the base and 1 satellite. Router at one end up stairs and the satellite at the other end 40 feet in between. Coverage is great throughout the home. 

I set up a friends 50 series summer of 2017, 3500sq ft home multi level. Base is in the garage and satellite up stairs opposite end. Wired satellite. Zero complaints. 

FYI about modem router combo units:

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@CHOCHE wrote:

I have been reading up on the Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000, before I make a final decision to purchase it. 

My question is, I have an older house, recently renovated, 2000 sq ft, one floor only, the house it prety much shaped like a square and the internet connection is in the office/study room that happend to be on the front corner of the house. I have trouble maintaining a strong connection toward the opposite sides of the house. 

I understand that in order to get the best signal strength everywhere, the router should be placed in the middle of the house. I cant relocate the internet connection, so what would my best option be? Would it be to get the Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 with the estimated 5000 sq ft coverage or do I need to buy something that has more satellites to make it back to the study?

Its become a pain because I do have quite a few smart home networked devices requiring a strong signal and bandwidth.

PS I have AT&T Fiber at the house.  

Thanks in advance. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7