Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

TeslaZ
Follower

Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

Folks,

Looking for some options with a new WiFi system.

I have a fairly complex home network with DSL (yes I know its all thats availabe in my area) and a router that is currently forward ports for servers, web servers and other applciations. I want to keep all the equipment I have and just get new WiFi, I have a 2 story home, and a shop pn the property that is all wired to the LAN.

I was wondering if the ORBI systems work in AP mode as a mesh system. I know of them don't but I can't really find the information. I see you can put them in AP mode, however I'm not sure how they work together after setting them in AP mode.

Message 1 of 3
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

The RBK50 works fine in AP mode. IMHO, it works better as an AP than as a router. I found its routing abilities inferior to my Asus AC68U, so I continue to use that as a router with its wifi turned off. I have no issues with my 3 hard-wired Orbis. My mobile devices hand off smoothly as they move around the house.

If you read through this forum, people's experiences vary a lot, sometimes inexplicably. You may get lucky or unlucky. If you decide to try Orbi, I recommend buying from whichever retailer offers the longest return period.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite is 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@TeslaZ wrote:

Folks,

Looking for some options with a new WiFi system.

I have a fairly complex home network with DSL (yes I know its all thats availabe in my area) and a router that is currently forward ports for servers, web servers and other applciations. I want to keep all the equipment I have and just get new WiFi, I have a 2 story home, and a shop pn the property that is all wired to the LAN.

I was wondering if the ORBI systems work in AP mode as a mesh system. I know of them don't but I can't really find the information. I see you can put them in AP mode, however I'm not sure how they work together after setting them in AP mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7