Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000 - Can no longer update or download via Orbi

Linda-in-Texas
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000 - Can no longer update or download via Orbi

Background:

I have U-Verse TV and internet.  We purchased Orbi, because AT&T wifi only covered about one half of our house.  I installed Orbi, and it worked great for over a year.  At that time U-Verse TV and internet became inoperative, and AT&T came out and replaced the AT&T modem.  All of the  TV’s, computers, iPads and iPhones were updated to the new ATT&T wifi network name.  The wireless items were also updated with the new Netgear password that I had to create during that time.

Problem:

I thought that everything was working fine, until I realized when using Orbi I could not update the  iOS on my phone or iPad or TV connected to Orbi.  I also could not download anything from the internet.  I now have to switch to the AT&T wifi to do updates and downloads.

I feel like the problem is some simple setting or solution, but I don’t know what it is.  Can somebody help!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000 - Can no longer update or download via Orbi

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in  router, if so, you maybe in a double NAT condition which will cause problems and is not recommended. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend trying option #3 first...this will disable the router and some features on the Orbi so you'll need to use the modem as your router. Disable ALL wiress radios on the ISP modem. 

@Linda-in-Texas wrote:

Background:

I have U-Verse TV and internet.  We purchased Orbi, because AT&T wifi only covered about one half of our house.  I installed Orbi, and it worked great for over a year.  At that time U-Verse TV and internet became inoperative, and AT&T came out and replaced the AT&T modem.  All of the  TV’s, computers, iPads and iPhones were updated to the new ATT&T wifi network name.  The wireless items were also updated with the new Netgear password that I had to create during that time.

Problem:

I thought that everything was working fine, until I realized when using Orbi I could not update the  iOS on my phone or iPad or TV connected to Orbi.  I also could not download anything from the internet.  I now have to switch to the AT&T wifi to do updates and downloads.

I feel like the problem is some simple setting or solution, but I don’t know what it is.  Can somebody help!

Message 2 of 4
Linda-in-Texas
Aspirant

Thank you FURRYe38 for your quick response and information.

Answers to your questions:

Firmware of the Orbi is 2.2.1.210

The new AT&T modem that Orbi is connected to is ARRIS BGW210-700 (dated 9-3-2018).  The ARRIS has four Ethernet ports on the back. One goes the Wireless Access Point Cisco VEN501-AT, another to the Orbi and another goes to the 16-port NG switch (mentioned in the next paragraph).  Another line from the WAP is connected at a ONT port on the ARRIS.

On November 30, I installed a new Netgear GS316-100NAS 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, which is also connected to the ARRIS.  I do not think that this had an impact on my issue, but I thought is was worth mentioning.

Please let me know how this additional information impacts your previous reply or if you have additional solutions.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so your modem already has a built in router. 

Here some options to help you get the Orbi connected better with the modem:

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend trying #3 first...

@Linda-in-Texas wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38 for your quick response and information.

Answers to your questions:

Firmware of the Orbi is 2.2.1.210

The new AT&T modem that Orbi is connected to is ARRIS BGW210-700 (dated 9-3-2018).  The ARRIS has four Ethernet ports on the back. One goes the Wireless Access Point Cisco VEN501-AT, another to the Orbi and another goes to the 16-port NG switch (mentioned in the next paragraph).  Another line from the WAP is connected at a ONT port on the ARRIS.

On November 30, I installed a new Netgear GS316-100NAS 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, which is also connected to the ARRIS.  I do not think that this had an impact on my issue, but I thought is was worth mentioning.

Please let me know how this additional information impacts your previous reply or if you have additional solutions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7