Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi System (RBK53)

msoi
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi System (RBK53)

Hello! 

I plan on buying the Orbi Wifi System (RBK 53), I live an old apartment with several thick concrete walls and so finding the right placing for the router and the satellites may be an issue.

I was wondering if both the satellites have to the within range of the main router, or do the satellites connect to each other as well to create a wifi network? I ask this becasue the router will be connected to the modem in a corner room, so it might not be within range of a satellite placed in the living which is on the other end of the house. 

Thanks in advance for your input! 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cue003
Apprentice

Yes both satellites have to be in range of the main router. Orbi is not a mesh system. It is a star system where the main router is at the center of the start and all the satellites fan out around the center do the strvand communicated to the center of the star and not to each other directly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
giantmike
Initiate

How big is the house? I have a 4500 sq ft house with three floors and heavily insulated walls (yes, that includes all interior walls). The internet connection in this house is also in a corner on the front floor. I have found that the single router and satellite cover the entire house (and the garage, at long last) no problem.

to answer your question directly, pretty sure the satellites have to connect directly to the router.

Message 2 of 4
msoi
Aspirant

Hi giantmike,

The house is around 6000 sq ft., so I think 2 satellites will cover the entire place. Or do you think one regular satellite and one wall plug satellite will be a better configuration?

Also, any idea if Netgear plans to add multi-hop topology to allow sattelites to connect with eachother?

Thanks!  

Message 3 of 4
cue003
Apprentice

Yes both satellites have to be in range of the main router. Orbi is not a mesh system. It is a star system where the main router is at the center of the start and all the satellites fan out around the center do the strvand communicated to the center of the star and not to each other directly.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7