Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi System and readyshare/sharing an external harddrive connected to router USB port?

pmeyer00000
Follower

Orbi WiFi System and readyshare/sharing an external harddrive connected to router USB port?

I just installed the Orbi WiFI System.  I connected my external hard drive to the router's USB port (exactly as I have done for previous routers) however I am unable to see the drive on the network listing on a PC, I cannot connect to the drive or map a network drive to this drive.  I even enter \\192.168.1.11 (the IP address of the external harddrive) when I try to map and get errors.  Does the Orbi not support shared network drives in this manner?  And if not the when will it and wth?

Message 1 of 3
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Orbi WiFi System and readyshare/sharing an external harddrive connected to router USB port?

The USB 2.0 (slow as heck) port is not supported/enabled at all. Been this way since launch, way back in September 2016 timeframe.

Message 2 of 3
Orbi_Mac
Aspirant

I've got a few of my 2TB hard drives and smaller flash drives to work on the USB port. I format them to MacOS Extended (Journaled) and plug it into the USB port. Wait a minute or so and it will show on my shared drives. I can also map it with smb://192.168.1.1/USB_Storage/ address. All my Mac computers can see it and use it. It didn't work on my 4TB hard drives. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7