Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi System performed a hard reset to factory defaults overnight

arthurpolo
Tutor

Orbi WiFi System performed a hard reset to factory defaults overnight

I got my orbit set up on Sunday. Everything was working well until Tuesday morning.  When I woke up Tuesday morning my SSID had changed back to ORB20.  Tried to logon with my password, didn't work. All my settings were gone, a factory reset had taken place overnight.  Check with the family and no one played with the system. Any idea how a factory reset and happen 'spontanously'?

RBR50

Firmware V1.10.1.2

Operation Mode Router

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12
MI-NJUser
Initiate

I had the same exact thing happen to me this morning at 5:30 AM. 

Message 2 of 12
ng-usr
Aspirant

Exactly the same over here with a brand new setup last sunday. v1.9 .
Early monday morning no wifi access at all. It turned out to be a full factory reset, had to configure all over again. During config I was now prompted to update to v1.10 which I did.
So far it is still running without major issues, although it seems that the sattelite has got far less reach than earlier (have to be closer for good reception), and the GUI is a lot slower now.
Message 3 of 12
Tscheel
Aspirant

Same thing here. I woke up this morning to a router that did a factory reset. Had to configure from scratch, as well as a couple of hours reconnecting all wifi devices. What gives....

Message 4 of 12
ShawnGlan
Aspirant

How did you reconfigured?
Message 5 of 12
MI-NJUser
Initiate

I had to start from scratch really. The only problem now is that I can't connect to my Router remotely because it believes it is owned by someone else even though the email address is exactly the same. Customer service was of no help other than to give me the IP address to get in remotely without the application.
Message 6 of 12
DWost
Aspirant

Same issue here. Was up and running for a week with three satellites and then it hard reset today rendering me completely useless.  Ended up having to default it back to factory and tried to reconfigure it.  It still woudn't work. The network kept resetting and forcing me to set it up repeadidly.  I think something went bad in the router.  Just set up for a return to Amazon and went out and bought a new one from the store.  Took some time but this is now operational.  Not very impressed with the setup.  Very quirky but when its up the speeds are great.  Would love to know if there is a fix for this??

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

They do this periodically... have since release.

Message 8 of 12
DWost
Aspirant

Hmmm.  Ok, so this is one of those just live with it scenarios.  How often does this typically happen?  I have a fairly complex setup and it is quite a pain to have to reassign everything and configure port forwarding, etc...  on a regular basis.  I'm struggling to find a homeowner setup that delivers the performance.  This is the closest I've found so far.  Tried the Eero and it was just awful.  I'm now contemplating sending this back and dropping the $$ to get a full-blown enterprise-grade setup at my house.  Wish they would just come up with a stability fix if this has been an ongoing issue.

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have over 90 devices and more than 30 port rules and other configs... yes it's a pain.  Since i've owned it, early this year, it's happened about 4-5 times.

Message 10 of 12
arthurpolo
Tutor

Since, my original post I have not had the reset issue.  If it happened 4-5 times since then I would swap it out.  I am not a huge fan off the configuration options (parent control in particular) I have thought about using it as an AP and get a cheap ubiqui router as the head.  Expensive AP solution though..

Message 11 of 12
DWost
Aspirant

Thanks guys for the intel, I'll live with it for a bit and see if this continues to happen.  As stated in my original post, after it reset automatically I couldn't get it to configure, it kept shutting down and rebooting.  I ended up returning it as It seemed like a hardware issue.  Arthurpolo, I'd try and get it swapped out.  Hoping the replacement serves me well.  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7