Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi 6 (RBK852) Satellite Compatibility with RBK50, Built-In Circle Plus Support?

EchostormFury
Apprentice

Orbi Wifi 6 (RBK852) Satellite Compatibility with RBK50, Built-In Circle Plus Support?

Do we know if the new Orbi Wifi 6 (RBK852) routers will be backward compatible with RBK50 AC3000 satellites?  As the default bundle only includes 1 satellite, can I still use my 2 RBK50's still (albeit knowing they will be slower).  Also anyone know if the Orbi Wifi 6 will have parental controls / content filtering?  Doesn't seem to mention it -- will it still use Circle, and if so Netgear, will this support the new Circle Home Plus hardware or will this still be "Circle 1st generation with Netgear premium" -- which I doubt since Circle Go support has been discontinued to new registrants?  Will I have to buy a standalone Circle Plus?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 (RBK852) Satellite Compatibility with RBK50, Built-In Circle Plus Support?

We all have tons of questions that are not answered by the web site hype or the Data Sheet.  When the product actually ships (Oct 28?) and the User Manual becomes available, there will be a flood of information.  I, for example, am not enthusiastic about  the emphasis on using the "app", Alexa, and Google to manage the device.  If the trusty old web interface is gone, a lot of the things we do now will be gone with it.

The whole point of WiFi6 is to support 802.11AX, which requires different radio chips.  Existing Orbi's cannot physically support AX, and never will.  Absolutely nothing in an of the available information talks about working with older Orbi's.  My guess is, "not happening."

In my case, of course, I have zero devices which support 802.11AX, and my internet is a puny 100mb.  There is little, if anything, to be gained by investing in the first  shipment of this new box.

Message 2 of 10
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 (RBK852) Satellite Compatibility with RBK50, Built-In Circle Plus Support?

Yeah, despite the item being able to be preordered, this is really vague and no tech sheets, manuals parental control filtering is even listed as a feature on the official websites.  You are right nothing talks about backward compatibility - though technically this can be possible by having backward compatibility to the RBK50 backhaul over 802.11ac.  I'm just interested bcause I have too many devices and any little improvement in expanding my backhaul between my upstairs and downstairs will help prevent those occasional disconnects between the satellite and the router, so here's hoping 802.11ax improves that a bit, otherwise I'd have to consider running ethernet for a backhaul.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Too many devices?  Oh, my.  We have users with over 100 devices plugged into an Orbi and they seem satisfied with performance.

Are a lot of your devices streaming video?

Message 4 of 10
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Lot of gaming with background downloading and streaming, so yes, lots of bandwidth being used, but all these PC's are on ethernet, it's just mainly the satellite to router backhaul that is the issue.  Too much traffic and sometimes the satellite will crash, all devices connected to the satellite lose internet connectivity for a few seconds, and Orbi has to reset the connection it seems.

Message 5 of 10
cdswindell
Aspirant

Did you learn more about this? I have the same question.

Message 6 of 10
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone agrees with that post.

@EchostormFury wrote:
Sure did, bought one myself to find out: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-Wifi-6-AX6000-Is-a-Disaster-Do-NOT-Buy/m-p/1825409#M44...

Message 8 of 10
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Well Circle is still not built in, but I did buy the stand alone Circle Plus and it does work with the router

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you using  Circle with the RBS850 and your main host router is the RBR50 router. The 850 doesn't support Circle currently so there is no FW that has Circle built in. I guess the RBR750 has Armor enabled. Not sure why the 7 series got it and the 8 hasn't as of yet. 

@EchostormFury wrote:

Well Circle is still not built in, but I did buy the stand alone Circle Plus and it does work with the router

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7