Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi 6 VPN Product Upgrade

blloydtbird
Tutor

Orbi Wifi 6 VPN Product Upgrade

I recently purchased an installed an Orbi 6 Mesh system with two access points.  I purchased this system as I have a home with three levels and an apartment over an attached garage.  My previous wifi setup simply would not work well enough, thus the move to a Mesh system.  I am very happy with the consistency of wifi speeds across my home, really it is pretty brilliant.  That said, I am disappointed with the VPN options via the Netgear router.  Note - I came from using Asus router products for the last 5 years.

1) Netgear does not allow for the admin to create vpn accounts.  This does not give us control over who has VPN access and when.  This is a poor design as anyone with a the OpenVPN file and certificates have full access to the network remotely.  Asus offers the ability to create accounts with passwords and have done so for 5 years.

2) The smartphone OpenVPN setup zip file generated by the Netgear system creates 4 files.  There is no way to open these files directly in the iPhone OpenVPN app, as the app can only open one file.  The user must be knowledgeable enough to copy the certificates and key, and paste them into the OpenFile.  They file must be formatted appropriately else OpenVPN cannot parse the file.  I was able to do this; still, the need to prepare the file is absurd.  The smartphone output should create one file

3) Netgear uses NoIP for the DDNS service, this requires validation each month or a fee. Asus provides the DDNS service themselves at no charge.  This should be included as part of the overall VPN service

4) Not VPN related, but I find it strange to charge annually for the router security service.  Asus doesnt charge and their security is qutie good.

Why am I posting this?  Thus far, I find the Netgear Mesh to be incredible and wifi performance is more important to me than the VPN setup.  Still, I miss the options available in the Asus system.  These are software updates that could be added to the Netgear feature set and the router would be a winner.  I hope my feedback is considered.

Cheers

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 VPN Product Upgrade

You could suggest the VPN ideas in the idea exchange for home. 

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Options you have? 
Use one of the Asus routers as the primary router and connect the orbi to it in access point mode. 

This would let you use the features of the asus such as vpn and still be able to have the better wireless from the Orbi. 

You could disable the wifi on the asus if prefered (to reduce interference) or leave it enabled for a backup or IoT's conneciton. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could suggest the VPN ideas in the idea exchange for home. 

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Options you have? 
Use one of the Asus routers as the primary router and connect the orbi to it in access point mode. 

This would let you use the features of the asus such as vpn and still be able to have the better wireless from the Orbi. 

You could disable the wifi on the asus if prefered (to reduce interference) or leave it enabled for a backup or IoT's conneciton. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Options you have? 

What a great idea. Keep all the things Asus offers (VPN with passwords, free DDNS, free security) and get more WiFi coverage with Orbi in access point mode.

There is also a chance that the 2.4G coverage on the Asus will reach far enough to connect most of the IoT devices (better penetration than 5G).

Love it.

Message 4 of 6
blloydtbird
Tutor

Thanks so much.  I went ahead with your suggestions.  I now have the wifi capabilities of the Orbi with all the functionality offered by Asus.  This solution is perfect thus far.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Please mark the post "Solved" so that others will not attempt to offer more suggestions.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7