Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi Loses Internet on Some, Others Stay Connected - Seems to be the Satellites

Taskmastr
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi Loses Internet on Some, Others Stay Connected - Seems to be the Satellites

I have the RBK53 (even though forum makes me pick RBK50) from Costco, firmware updated to 2.0.0.74 on the router and two satellites. Different clients will lose internet connection or drop wifi and reconnect. The devices that lose internet connectivity (laptops, echo dots, FireTV Sticks) would get it back when I would hard reboot or turn off the satellite units. Several of our Echo dots will randomly lose connectivity and give you the 'I'm having trouble understanding right now." or out of the blue you hear the dot tell you it's lost the network connection. I disabled the daisy chain option, have tried enabled the beamforming and MU-MIMO with no noticable effect. Finally Sunday night I turned off the two satellite units and haven't had a device stall since and it was a fairly frequent and frustrating situation beforehand. I hope this can get straightened out because otherwise I definitely feel I would need to return the kit - and soon.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Wifi Loses Internet on Some, Others Stay Connected - Seems to be the Satellites

How big of a home are you trying to cover with 2 satellites?  Have you tried to use just one and place in a different location? Could be a issue of the units being to close and the devices keep switching.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Taskmastr
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Wifi Loses Internet on Some, Others Stay Connected - Seems to be the Satellites

The home is maybe 1700sq ft. I have left one satellite off and kept one going on the second floor to test. Just now I tried to use my Echo dot in the kitchen on the first floor and the same thing happened - "I'm having trouble understanding right now." The Echo in the living room heard the command also and successfully responded. I am also watching a Fire Stick and working on a laptop wirelessly in the same kitchen where tho Dot lost it's connectivity. I went upstairs and turned off the one satellite running and the Dot connected again and works without being reset or any other intervention.I did not check the interface but I'm assuming the Dot was connected to the Satellite since powering the Satellite off corrected the issue.

Message 3 of 5
Taskmastr
Aspirant

Correction : 2000sq ft, not that it's a critical difference - just for accuracy.
Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

With that smaller space you may want to turn down the power of the 2.4ghz in the advanced wireless settings see that will help you.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7