Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi Speed Limit RBK50

ejstarky75
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi Speed Limit RBK50

I have an Orbi RBK50.  Works great.  However, I recently went to 200Mbps on my internet speed through the cable company.  My Orbi will not go past 100Mbps, my previous speed limit.  The modem/router combo gets the 200 Mbps but the Orbi even after doing a factory reset and fresh install will not go above 100Mbps.  I know it is not the modem as that gets 200Mbps whether wired or wifi.  I even put a brand new Cat 6 cable on it instead of a Cat5 and still only 100Mbps.  I know I can just use the cable company router, but it is not a mesh network.  It is terrible outside.  My Orbi covered the whole block where I live.  Please help.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the new modem? Just curious. 

Glad the new modem fixed it. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@ejstarky75 wrote:

I have an Orbi RBK50.  Works great.  However, I recently went to 200Mbps on my internet speed through the cable company.  My Orbi will not go past 100Mbps, my previous speed limit.  The modem/router combo gets the 200 Mbps but the Orbi even after doing a factory reset and fresh install will not go above 100Mbps.  I know it is not the modem as that gets 200Mbps whether wired or wifi.  I even put a brand new Cat 6 cable on it instead of a Cat5 and still only 100Mbps.  I know I can just use the cable company router, but it is not a mesh network.  It is terrible outside.  My Orbi covered the whole block where I live.  Please help.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@ejstarky75 wrote:

........ My Orbi will not go past 100Mbps, my previous speed limit. ......

How do you make the test? Can it be that the computer you're making the test with has a Base 100 ethernet adapter?

Message 3 of 15
ejstarky75
Aspirant

V2.3.5.30 firmware

Arris DG3450A is the modem/router model. Had Motorola 8600 before but went back to cable and got TIvo.  8600 not Moca capable.

Home is 1052sq ft.  Have satellite on the second floor not even 30 ft away from main router on 1st floor.  Many neighbors near by as I live in asmall town.  None have Orbi system. I will try changing channels and/or taking them off auto.

Beamforming, MIMO and WMM already enabled.

I will have to try the items to disable.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units: https://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-dg3450-cable-gateway
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 15
interestedperso
Aspirant

Dont forget to turn of daisychain topology if you have the satalite connected via ethernet as i have noted such things with it on.
Message 6 of 15
ejstarky75
Aspirant

Any of my laptops, iPad or iPhone get the same results 100Mbps.  I got the 200 Mbs results on all of these devices using the cable company modem/router.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem has a built in router, please chose of the one of the posted suggested options to configure the modem for the Orbi router. 

@ejstarky75 wrote:

Any of my laptops, iPad or iPhone get the same results 100Mbps.  I got the 200 Mbs results on all of these devices using the cable company modem/router.

Message 8 of 15
ejstarky75
Aspirant

I already disable all the wifi radios on the modem/router combo previously.  Still only get 100 Mbps.  The day of the install last Friday, they were disable as I knew I wanted to still use my Netgear Orbi.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Disabling the wifi on the ISP modem may not be enough. The modem needs to be fully bridged, or try option #2 if you want to use the Orbi in router mode. If not, try the Orbi in AP mode with the ISP modem in router mode and see if this changes anything. 

Try a wired PC with the back of the RBR first. I would leave off the RBS for time being until you get good speeds at the RBR. 

Message 10 of 15
ejstarky75
Aspirant

Daisy chaining is off right now along with all the suggestions from 

FURRYe38 (Sensei) posted a new reply in Orbi on 2019-08-22 03:01 PM :  Please see below.  The only thing I can't find is circle to disable .  Still 100 Mbps. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending up on how the modem is configured and which option you chose, I would probably factory reset the RBR and use a wired PC with the RBR. Power cycle off the modem for 30 seconds, then back on. Factory reset and RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. You can do this a couple of ways, bridge the modem fully, or keep the modem at router mode and configure the RBR for AP mode, then test speeds. 

We can try option #2 later if you want too...

Message 12 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Please use the web GUI and go to >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> INTERNET PORT >> SHOW STATISTICS.

What do you see beside WAN port? 

WAN 1000M/Full or 100M/Full

Message 13 of 15
ejstarky75
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for your help. It was strange but a different modem fixed the issue.  I had the router/modem they gave me start cycling on and off like crazy.  I called cable company and they gave me different model modem.  Tried it and get the full 200Mbps across all devices now.  Not sure why Orbi would never get 200 Mbps only 100Mbps when modem/router combo got 200Mbps the whole time.  Nothing done different.  Anyway it is fixed.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the new modem? Just curious. 

Glad the new modem fixed it. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7