Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi

LRF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi

We have the Orbi Wifi running in our home, model RBR20 with 2 satellites. Everything works really well (streaming services, cell phones), except that my husband can't connect to WiFi using his brand new new Dell laptop running Windows 10. Orbi shows up as an available network but the WiFi connection is not stable. We went through troubleshooting, but nothing changed. I have no problems connecting to WiFi via Orbi on my Acer running Windows 10. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If one laptop is working and the other isn't, it maybe the wireless adapter card in the one effected laptop...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@LRF wrote:

my husband can't connect to WiFi using his brand new new Dell laptop running Windows 10. Orbi shows up as an available network but the WiFi connection is not stable....... Any ideas?

Does this new laptop connect to other WiFi networks?  and the connection is stable?  Eliminate the laptop as the problem before tackling the Orbi.

Message 3 of 5
LRF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the laptop connects well to all other WiFi networks. Only the Orbi network poses a problem.
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, darn.  It's never the easy answer.  How about more description of the symptoms.  Is there a pattern to the problem?  Like a certain number of minutes before the connection drops?  Does the connection ever restore by itself?  If he does a "disconnect" and then a "connect" on the Dell, does it connect again?  What does the Orbi say about the connection (under Attached Devices, or by selecting the Dell on the Orbi app)?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7