Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

skedi
Aspirant

OP, did manage to resolve this issue?

I did a reset using the web interface yesterday, and still getting slow WIRED connection.
Message 26 of 66
tanneron
Aspirant

Pre-Orbi -- Desktop was hard connected to the cable modem, and laptop and iPad used wireless connection to Linksys EA3500 router. This router had 1+4 ports, so I could connect the desktop by wire to the modem through the router. My wired speed was 80 Mbps. I disconnected the wire and tested the wireless speed between the desktop (802.11n) and the EA3500 and got 80 Mbps. So my wireless download speed between the desktop and the old router was great. Then I disconnecrted the EA3500 and configured the Orbi.

Post-Orbi -- (Yesterday) - The Orbi router only has 1+3 ports, so my desktop was no longer going to be hardwired. Hooked up the Orbi router and satellite. The laptop (802.11n) and the iPad (802.11ac) both clocked wirelessly at 80Mbps. But the desktop, only 2 feet away from the router, clocked at about 40 Mbps. Then I ran the Obilogin.com speedtest (as I mentioned in an earlier post) and got a download speed on the desktop of 80Mbps. 

Now this morning, after the desktop booted up, I ran a new speed test and got 80Mbps!!! I didn't do anything except turn it on. Double the speed from yesterday. So I probably should have rebooted the desktop after I had configured the Orbi. No other explanation right now.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 27 of 66
skedi
Aspirant

Did a hard reset today and WIRED speed back to normal. Now need to figure out how to get devices to connect as wireless AC 5Ghz instead of wireless N on 2.4Ghz

Message 28 of 66
tanneron
Aspirant

I don't think Orbi allows for Ghz differentiation for devices that are connecting. But could be wrong. 

Message 29 of 66
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Skedi

Orbi has band steering so it will pick the best connection for the device.

DarrenM

Message 30 of 66
dg_sticks
Guide

Hi @skedi (and everyone),

Apologies for being MIA with this thread, but I did end up "fixing" this issue. I saying fixing in quotes because it makes zero sense. I had gone through the whole reset, downgrade, blah blah, like I mentioned in my original post. I ended up switching the ethernet cord to the far right port (which I had done MANY times) before and suddenly I was getting great wired speeds. Since that day, I have not touched anything in the router settings as I am nervous something is going to break my wired speeds. 

To be clear: THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. It makes zero sense as I had tried multiple cords with multiple ports on multiple versions of firmwares. This is a ridiculous, hacked together method that forces me not to touch the numerous settings on the router itself because I can't work without the speeds I pay for on wired connections. 

I am incredibly disappointed that the moderation team hasn't said anything in regards to at least getting this issue looked into. Very disappointed with the lack of response from the Netgear team.

Message 31 of 66
mm22
Initiate

Any update on this from Orbi support team?

I've got a gigabit connection at home, and am not getting WIRED speeds anywhere near that. In fact, my wifi speeds match my current wired speeds.

Why the slower wired connection with the Orbi? Did we ever figure out a real solution?
Message 32 of 66
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mm22

What are the speeds you are getting wired vs wireless?

DarrenM

Message 33 of 66
ThePenguin
Initiate

I have to say I am usually a Netgear fan, but they sorely disappointed me here. they were ZERO help, up to and including denying this thread even existed.

After going through some HORRIBLE attempted support from Netgear, this turned out to be a relatively simple fix for me. It had to do with the router connection speed and duplex in Windows.

Open your Network and sharing center

click on your  connection (i.e. ethernet, local, etc), usually some color like blue on the right side of the window

Choose properties

Choose Configure

Click on the advanced tab

In the "Property" list choose Speed and Duplex

In the "Value" drop down choose Auto Negotiation

Click OK

In my case the router\Windows had set the speed to 100Mbs which is what was slowing down the connection speed. After having it auto negotiate, it set itself to 1.0 Gbps and viola! I have the correct connection speed on my wired desktop.

Hope this helps a few people here.

Message 34 of 66
loomis1975
Luminary

Thank you for the information.  This will definitely go in the wired speed troubleshooting file.  I did not have this issue, and frankly didn't know you could even set a ethernet port to throttle down like this.

I checked my ethernet adapter setting on 1 desktop and 4 laptops, and all of them were set for Auto Negotiation, which is I'm assuming the default.  Also I rarely use the ethernet ports, except on the desktop.

I wonder how exactly it got changed, that is super strange.  I'm glad you figured it out.  Sounds like a hair pulling experience for sure.

Message 35 of 66
ThePenguin
Initiate

The predominate theory on how it got changed is that when the router initially talks to Windows, if it has trouble negotiating, it will default to the lowest acceptable setting. The interesting thing is that I removed the Orbi and put my Lynksys router back on before I figured this out and the Lynksys worked perfectly even though the setting had been changed (in other words the Lynksys software told Windows to change this apparently). Once I came across this as a possible solution, I reattached the Orbi and it defaulted back to 100Mbps. I then changed the setting to Auto Negoiate and it found 1.0 Gbps. Not sure why that would happen unless the firmware is some how set to accept the change in Windows settings. 

My major frustration though, was in the fact that Netgear not only didn't help, but even went so far as deny the issue existed even when I provided a link to this thread. By the way, I was talking to their second level support at this time. Anyway, as with others, I only had the slow connection issue on the desktop I have hardwired. Wireless through put has been consistent at each attempt. My only issue was with the wired connection. 

Message 36 of 66
Hirrdgoon
Apprentice

Not sure why it was switching that setting in your setup, as I have never had a router switch the Auto Negotiate setting on me. I get full gigabit speeds when sending large files over my network using e.g. the  last file i sent traveled at 115 MB/s steady from Wired Desktop -> switch 1 -> switch 2 -> switch 3 -> to Orbi Router -> switch 3 -> NAS.

Was this fixed with the new 1.5 firmware?

If only the orbi satellite worked with ethernet backhaul i could use it more efficently........

Desktop -> Orbi Satellite - > Switch 3 -> Orbi Router - > Switch 3 -> NAS

vs

Desktop -> switch 1 -> switch 2 -> switch 3 -> to Orbi Router -> switch 3 -> NAS.

Message 37 of 66
Bmw4boy
Tutor

As far as I can tell this is still an issue. I am having the same issue as the rest. I have a cat 6 running straight to my orbi from a pic with a gigabit Ethernet adaport and I can't get any speed above 500 me down and terrible upload speeds.

They released 1.5.x firmware and I've updated to that. Does anyone know if I still need to role the firmware back to fix this issue?
Message 38 of 66
travisty357
Aspirant

Did you try what "ThePenguin" said above.  Basically he pointed me in the right direction.  Mine was set to auto negotiate but I manually set it to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and that fixed it for me.

Was getting 10Mbps and now am getting my full internet bandwidth.  Like others in the post, was getting very slow wired speed and full wireless speed (100Mbps internet cap.)

Message 39 of 66
travisty357
Aspirant

@ThePenguin Thanks for the tip.  Worked great for me although I manually set to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex.

Message 40 of 66
simonlinke
Aspirant

Can I clarify your experience?

My understanding is that you adjusted the settings for auto negotiate on your PC, not the Orbi?

I ask because I'm having the same problem with very slow wired (Ethernet) confections but blisteringly fast WiFi but am using Macs and a Synology NAS, not a PC. I'm not aware that there is a way to modify the connection speed on a Mac, and I don't know about the NAS but will look into it. I did however try the Macs first before attaching the Diskstation. It's the satellite that I'm using to try to connect to with the Macs and NAS via Ethernet.

Message 41 of 66
darkneo29
Star

I swithed to AP mode and have had no issues since.  There is a serious problem with these Orbi routers and ethernet cable.  The support has been horrible.  This will be my last netgear purchase.  Again in AP mode I have no issues, so I am somewhat happy now after months of troubleshooting on and off.

Message 42 of 66
travisty357
Aspirant

The settings are adjusted on the PC.  There is no way I know of to change port settings on this router.  Although this "fixed" the problem for me it is not a great solution because the PC is the only wired device on my network that has this ability.  None of the other wired devices (game consoles, printer, consumer grade switches etc.) will benefit from this change.  Luckily, most of those devices are downstream of a gigabit switch but until I have time to test, I am not sure the switch to orbi connection is full gigabit.

Message 43 of 66
travisty357
Aspirant

"I swithed to AP mode and have had no issues since."  Are you saying switching to AP mode increased your WIRED speed?

Message 44 of 66
suaveodean
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue.   I am very disappointed as I had high hopes from these.  I had an Asus Rt-AC66U and run my desktop computer in my office which is hard wired to a gigabit switch with the feed coming  directly from the router. I get speeds from Comcast around 235 Mbps. So yesterday I hooked up the orbi and tested all the wifi and was happy with the performance. However when I ran a speed test on my hard wired desktop, which I just got 235 Mbps when the Aus was hooked up, was now capping out at just under 100 Mbps. I checked my ethernet connection settings and all were still showing 1.0 Gigabit speed connections. I took my laptop and plugged into the router directly in my basement and was able to break 100 Mbps but the router is not playing nice with my gigabit switch and for some reason is capping speeds. As I paid $500 for this, it is clearly unacceptable for a piece of hardware to not work with a switch and only give us 4 LAN ports. When I found this thread I realized I was not alone and Netgear is having issues with this. I will be returning my Orbi today and get my Asus hooked back up.  I would be curious  if anyone else is using Modem > Orbi Router > switch and then having their speeds capped like it is a 10/100 connection? 

Also what is up with Netgear support when they have known the Orbi QoS settings page is not working and they STILL have not fixed this? It shows as solved to make the user change the URL? wow.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/QOS-on-Orbi-is-it-enabled-or-disabled/td-p/1192025

Computer: Windows 10

Orbi firmware: V1.8.0.6

Message 45 of 66
simonlinke
Aspirant

Yes, that was my experience too. I tried using the satellite to connect via Ethernet (effectively using it as a wireless bridge) but speeds were around 2.5 Mbps. Connection via Wi Fi  6 inches from the satellite was 350 Mbps.

Message 46 of 66
suaveodean
Tutor

I just tried taking the feed directly out of the switch, bypass the switch, and hooking into my desktop and it would still only give 95 Mbps. So I disconnected and hooked back up my Asus router and ran a test and it is immediately back to 232 Mbps. For some reason it was throttling my desktop computer and I do not know why. It is obviously nothing with my computer if just reattaching the old router fixes it. Well that bums me out...back to the drawing board for a mesh system....

Message 47 of 66
st_shaw
Master

I have measured 940 Mbps throughput between wired computers over the Orbi switch. Some piece of your hardware is either defective or misconfigured.  That could be your Orbi, your cable, your switch, our your computer.

I recently had one port on a Netgear GigE switch go bad.  That one port would only run at 100Mbs. Make sure the switch port is not your issue.

Obviously, make sure you are using Cat5e or Cat6 cables everywhere.  Make sure the cables are less than 300' long.  You could also try another desktop or laptop, if you have one available.

The problem might be the link speed auto-negotiate process on your desktop.  Assumng you are using Windows, you should be able to hardcode the NIC on your desktop to 1000Mbit.  You could try that and see if that fixes the issue.

Message 48 of 66
suaveodean
Tutor

Appreciate the reply. The Orbi hardware is the only thing that could be the issue. All things remaining exactly the same I shut down my cable modem and the orbi, hooked back up my asus, and turned  back on cable modem and asus router. Immediately I had my 232 Mbps speed back on my desktop. No settings had to be changed or cables replaced.

Before I disconnected the Orbi I also tried changing link speed settings on my desktop and ports on the orbi and on my gigabit switch.I have already spent my sunday and the morning today messing with these. If it is this much of a hassle I would just rather get something different. For what they are charging these should be working right out of the box.

Message 49 of 66
st_shaw
Master

Unless you've tried new Cat5e or better cables between the desktop and the Orbi, it could still be a cable issue. A marginal cable, poor termination, dirty connector, broken wire, etc.

It seems you are convinced it is Orbi, so good luck with whatever other solution you go with.

Message 50 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7