Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

ebentley
Tutor

Re: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

I got my Orbi system last year and the wired speeds was great, just recenly has the wired speeds became unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted. I rolled back the Firmware to Version: V1.8.0.6 and things work better now.

Message 51 of 66
myblade
Tutor

Betreff: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

For me everything is running fine.

1000 Mbit connection and speed between connected devices and 400+ Mbit on WAN.

Message 52 of 66
Shallon
Initiate

So I have had a very similar but slighty differn't problem to the OP I think.

My Orbi has been working fine for WIFI, well not actually I've been plagued with problems, once I had solved all of them though I was getting a good speed on  my wireless devices. My Wired desktop however would be fine (214 down, 21 up) but after a random amount of time I would notice my connection had slowed and a speedtest would only show 5-7 down but still 21 up. 

If I restarted my desktop the problem would go away, for a time. I presumed this was something to do with the DHCP lease from the router but I'm not an expert. 

I was reading this post today because I am getting really fed up with it now and tried ThePenguin's suggestion to check the Speed & Duplex value for my connection in Windows. It was already set to Auto Negotiation for me so I changed it to 1Gps, because why not. The problem imidiatly went away, now maybe changing it restarted the connection and gave my desktop a new lease or just did the same as whatever restarting my computer was doing before but it doesn't seem to have come back for a while. I'll update if it does

I have to add, I paid a lot for this Orbi system and it really hasn't lived up to expectations so far. Every other router I have had has worked out the box perfectly and then I have tailoured to to my wants. This system which cost a lot more then them as not worked well at all out of the box and the options we are given on the configeration page are woefully inadequate. I was thinking about getting Google Wifi but thought it would be better to go with Netgear because they know networking and would give me lots of options to tailour my router how I want and need it.

Seems I was wrong on both counts!

Harware Version - RBR50

Firmware Version - V1.8.0.6

WIN10 64bit

Asus X99 A-2 Mobo

Message 53 of 66
ebentley
Tutor

On 4/10/17 I had rolled back the firmware from version 1.8.0.6 and speed did show some improvements but the next day the speed was back to the unacceptably slow speeds again. Rolling back the firmware is not the answer. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with a Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Message 54 of 66
AMarket42
Star

Random question: Can I plug directly into the Orbi Router for a wired connection? I know you cannot from
the satellite. I've been moving my Orbi around to find the best possible solution to some buffering issues but I didn't know if the ports in the router are active for a wired connection. I don't claim to be very proficient on setups but if someone can explain to me an ideal set up for a house that has approximately 4 Rokus, 2-3 phones, a tablet, laptop, and an Amazon Dot; that would be extremely helpful.
Currently I have my Modem and Orbi Router in the back of my house in bridge mode, with a Roku directly wired into a Port. The satellite is about 50 feet away near my living room. Should they be further away? Closer? I'm experiencing some drop off specially with my tablet and some buffering in my living room where to satellite is located.
Any thoughts? I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for these questions but any help would be appreciated.
Message 55 of 66
st_shaw
Master

Yes, you can plug wired devices directly into the Orbi router for a wired LAN/Internet connection.

You can plug wired devices into the satellite also. Wired devices connected to the satellite will even be able to communicate with each other at gigabit speeds.

What you cannot do is wire the satellite into the router.  The satellite always connects to the router over the 5 GHz backhaul.

Message 56 of 66
AMarket42
Star

@st_shaw: thank you for the explanation. I've found that it buffers when it's directly plugged into the Router, which seems odd to me. In any case, that allows some flexibility in placement.
I'll continue to see if it performs better wirelessly.
As for placement, any thoughts on how far apart? I'm sure it depends on other factors in the house but in general? I suppose if the lights are blue, that's all that truly matters but I didn't want them to interfere.

Anyway, thanks again!
Message 57 of 66
Ares24
Tutor

I have 250 up and down via fiber. Running speed tests on wifi on both phone, tablet, and laptop I will get anywhere from 50 - 125. Far cry from the 250 it "SHOULD" be getting. Not happy especially with all of the connection issues it has. For the money spent on this system, I should be able to plug it in and forget about it for awhile. Yes the occasional reboot is to be expected but spending hours troubleshooting is crazy.

Message 58 of 66
gfrey
Apprentice

I have AT&T Gigapower Fiber internet and I get about 400Mbps via Ethernet on both of my Orbi Satellites.  The Satellite placements are key to getting decent Ethernet performance.  I have moved mine all around trying to find the optimal placement for both Satellites.  I get anywhere from 100Mbps to 300Mbps via WiFi no matter where I am in my house or my backyard.  If I had the Ethernet Backhaul option, I think I can get my speeds to +250Mbps.  But I am pretty happy with my setup so far.

Message 59 of 66
st_shaw
Master

@AMarket42 wrote:
@st_shaw: thank you for the explanation. I've found that it buffers when it's directly plugged into the Router, which seems odd to me. In any case, that allows some flexibility in placement.
I'll continue to see if it performs better wirelessly.
As for placement, any thoughts on how far apart? I'm sure it depends on other factors in the house but in general? I suppose if the lights are blue, that's all that truly matters but I didn't want them to interfere.

Anyway, thanks again!

Buffering when plugged into the router is odd. Could be a problem wih the Internet connection.

Placement/separation of the satellite/router depends upon the floorplan and construction materials of the house.

Two things you can do.  1) If you download iperf3 you can plug a PC or laptop into both the the router and satellite wired ports and measure throughput between the two machines.  You should get around 575 Mbps.  If much less than that, then you're too far apart.  You can also look at received WiFi signal strength for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on a laptop as you move around the house.  Ideally, in every part of the house you would have the router or one of the satellites have a stronger signal than the others, wih no dead spots.

Message 60 of 66
AMarket42
Star

Great!! Thank you. I'll definitely try what youre suggesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply back to me.
Message 61 of 66
ebentley
Tutor

I FOUND A FIX FOR ME: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

When I first setup my Orbi system it worked great. Last month I started to have issuses with the system being unacceptably slow -wifi not affected. After reading though many of the slow wired speed issues I tried something new. I have the AC#000 Tri-band Orbi router with two satellites, a router on the main floor and a satellite in the basement and one upstairs in my office. Last month I moved a large flatscreen TV into the office and I moved the Orbi satellite closer to the TV. That's around when my issues started. So I moved the location of the satellite in the office back to the location it was in, which was on the opposite side of the room that the router is on the main floor and my cumputer upsairs in the office stopped buffering and Wired Speeds works great again. I think if the satellites are to close to the router it affects the speed.

~ I hope this help someone that's having Unacceptably wired speed.

Message 62 of 66
davidk63
Initiate

Re: I FOUND A FIX FOR ME: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

Hi,

Just set up my Orbi system hoping to get better wifi coverage, had been using a Linksys WRT3200ACM and two wired access points.  So far much slower speeds on both wired and wireless, I did update to the most recent firmware.  Even speed test through Orbi setup only show about 80 down, I have a 300 MBs connection and with the old router would see downloads >300 and could even get that on 5G with wifi in certain areas of the house.

I got this through Costco and will try it for a week or so but may end up returing it if I can't get back to simialr speeds.

I have been readin through the posts but so far nothing I have tried has worked. 

Message 63 of 66
davidk63
Initiate

Re: I FOUND A FIX FOR ME: Orbi Wired Speeds Unacceptably Slow - Wifi Not Impacted - QoS Issues?

After a bit more trouble shooting I found that there is now a status setting for the Lan connections and noticed that the WAN connection was only at 100. Swapped out a cable and it jumped to 1000 and now my speeds are back to what they should be on both wired and wireless. 

Message 64 of 66
iCloche
Initiate

I have exactly the same experience. Blazingly fast on wirelesss, and unusably slow on wired.

And yes, I had a Cat 6 Ethernet cable connecting my device directly to an Ethernet Port on the back of the Orbi Satellite.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 65 of 66
AMarket42
Star

Sadly, I'm having similar experiences as many on this forum. My ESPN app buffers whether wired or wireless. The Router is next to the device and I've set it 75%, tried wired, moved the satellite further away, disabled many features some have suggested and it's a constant battle. For the price tag and claim to be user friendly and easy to use; I've been disappointed. I've tried to stay positive about my experience with Orbi but I'm starting to waver considering I've owned significantly cheaper devices and not had this many issues. As stated, when it works, there's nothing better but it's so unreliable at this point.
Unfortunately, I can't return it anymore so I'm stuck with trying to manipulate it to make it work for my house. The buffering during games is so frustrating considering the cost and what it's suppose to offer.
I'm always up for suggestions!!
Message 66 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7